• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SECRETSIDE View Post
    did a little research and found out about orizzonti co. - apparently they produce and distribute demeulemeester + westwood (or at least their MIJ pieces). not sure who heads production that takes place elsewhere.. anyone have any additional info?
    Pretty sure Gibo produces Westwood. Got a link? The would certainly be news.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by reborn View Post
      I totally agree (my grandfather hates when I buy anything made in Japan). Don't want to subvert the thread, but "Made in Italy" is not as valuable anymore. Production in Japan & France are the new "Made in Italy" as is artisinal production in the UK.
      That depends on what it is. There are still pretty of examples of more traditional businesses that are not as fucking greedy as Prada that still make a heck of a product.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Secretside
        • Jul 2008

Tokyo Branch opened.

“Vivienne Westwood” brand business started.
        orizzonti

it could just be her women's mainline that they're producing ("lady's" is the only gender highlighted under westwood).. not 100% sure though, the english section isn't too informative.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SECRETSIDE View Post
          orizzonti

it could just be her women's mainline that they're producing ("lady's" is the only gender highlighted under westwood).. not 100% sure though, the english section isn't too informative.
          Oh, Japanese, that explains it all. Probably just licensed to produce their stuff in Japan. They are also probably the ones who run Ann's Tokyo store.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Secretside
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Oh, Japanese, that explains it all. Probably just licensed to produce their stuff in Japan. They are also probably the ones who run Ann's Tokyo store.
            haha good guess, they are. and yeah, that would explain the select pieces with japanese garment composition/washing instruction tags.

Comment

• rach2jlc
              • Sep 2006

That depends on what it is. There are still pretty of examples of more traditional businesses that are not as fucking greedy as Prada that still make a heck of a product.
              Oh, certainly. I just meant to say, Prada aside, that the dynamic is changing around the world and "made in Italy" only doesn't mean a whole lot. For many items, yes, Italy is still the standard/staple... but only that things are becoming more global and quality is increasing in a lot of areas due to market demands. I think, at the end of the day, this will be a good thing.

Prada just outsources to get cheaper shit, as we both know... so NO, I definitely don't think they do it for any other reason.

Comment

• Babar
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by rach2jlc View Post
                Prada just outsources to get cheaper shit, as we both know... so NO, I definitely don't think they do it for any other reason.
                I thought they outsourced to get access to the couture-level polyester and ancient artisanal tradition of Romania.. The prices went up so that must be it!

Comment

• rach2jlc
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Babar View Post
                  I thought they outsourced to get access to the couture-level polyester and ancient artisanal tradition of Romania.. The prices went up so that must be it!
                  You are correct, sir! I stand corrected. And, of course, those $400 nylon windbreakers are made in China because of the ancient techniques from the Han Dynasty for making jackets!

And, the Vietnamese have been making expert footwear since the middle ages!

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread... just having a spot of fun...

Comment

• rach2jlc
                    • Sep 2006

Pretty sure Gibo produces Westwood. Got a link? The would certainly be news.
                    Westwood MAN is still made by Staff, non?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rach2jlc View Post
                      Westwood MAN is still made by Staff, non?
                      Hmm, not sure.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
                        • Mar 2007

Does anyone know who makes the non Church's branded Jil Sander shoes? Not the S Lattanzi ones. And does Church's still make shoes post Prada or are their shoes made elsewhere? I'm sure I've seen this somewhere and cannot find it. Thank you!

Comment

• surver
                          • Oct 2007

you would be surprised at how much is actually made in china, and tagged with made in italy/japan/france... there're a couple ways that this is done - 1/materials and hardware are imported from europe to china for 90% of the work of putting a garment together, then shipped back where the the final "made in italy/france/japan/whatnot" tag is sewn on... therefore, technically the brands can argue that the items are actually made there, and not in china; 2/100% is made in china, including the tags stating "made in italy/france/japan/etc"... these pieces usually would have a double tag saying 'made in china' that is very small and easily ripped off upon export.
                          i can claim this as a fact due to long-term observation/survellience/comparison and on occasion purchasing of authentic (either off-season but sometimes same-season) items from various shops in china - including (may surprise quite a few people) such brands as dolce & gabbana, mihara yasuhiro, neil barret, dietbutcherslimskin, dsquared2, etc... besides of course the more mass luxury labels such as armani, prada, etc.

Comment

• gerry
                            • Feb 2008

^ Egypt, too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a bunch of countries in Europe don't even require "made in" tags...

Honestly, I wouldn't care whether stuff is made in China – while there is the "slave labour" and bad workmanship shit that everyone talks about, there are also incredibly efficient, well managed factories which churn out quality merchandise – if the companies passed the savings on to the consumers... But they usually don't.

Comment

• deleuze
                              • Jul 2007

Then there's this
                              Chinese migrants now produce many of Italy's fine leather goods, often in illegal conditions.

Comment

• J_J
                                • Apr 2008

very true. I live in italy and it seems that every time I pick up the newspaper there is an article on how the financial police exposed a cheap chinese labor house somewhere here. Almost all of them claim the chinese workers were producing accessories for "high-end and prestigious luxury brands".

Thankfully leather artisans are still abundant here and can be found without having to search too much. Plus, their prices are frequently much lower than the price the high-end shop (that makes their shit in chinese factories in italy) is trying to charge you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎