X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theaddict
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
    We surely don't mean the difference of business clothing and free time clothing. This is missing the point.

mate, you are getting me wrong. I was not merely talking about business vs free time clothing.
    If I would have unlimited funds I would have a whole Ann sophisticated bohemian style wardrobe, a full goth ninja turtle closet, a minimalistic ma and luc arrangement, a peasant PH collection and so forth. But I don't have unlimited funds, thus I have to contentrate on what I like the most...but I love to all the different styles, its boring for me to wear the same style everyday, that's not what coherence means to me personally. I like any nice stuff...
    And yes, it's always me...hahaha...me thinks...

Darks layering I like btw...and I see this apart from any validation points...
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I hereby dub this type of SZ argument "the Fark wars!"
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theaddict
        • Apr 2008

To be continued..."the Fark strikes back"...and the ingenious "Return of the Farks"...starring Luke Fark and Fark Solo...

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I hereby dub this type of SZ argument "the Fark wars!"

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

siding with SA again. its boring to look the exact same everyday. but mixing it up is an indulgence that is earned. it requires experience, confidence and skillful styling to not look like some kind of "i'll take one of everything" consumerist dress up party.
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

i prefer "little farkers " starring robert de niro. finally a role he can sink his teeth into, ya know?
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• theaddict
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
              siding with SA again. its boring to look the exact same everyday. but mixing it up is an indulgence that is earned. it requires experience, confidence and skillful styling to not look like some kind of "i'll take one of everything" consumerist dress up party.
              Ok, Admittedly that is a thin line to walk on...totally agreed cj!

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

bow your heads all....................
                Let us pray...............................

Seriously guys...............is it that serious?
                the kid has money, and he buys what he wants/ likes...............is there anything wrong with that.

Don't we all buy what we like and those who have more money/ means than others, buy more than those who have less?
                So what if he is doing it for validation, at least that shows a realization that there is a need for social acceptance. Also the fact that regardless of the negativity thrown at him he has always been polite and respectful.....................that to me shows that there is some degree of balance in him, where he won't go hang himself over lack of acceptance/ validation.

All of this is pure nonsense..........................buy what you want, wear what you want, post pictures if you want, walk naked if you want.
                At the end of the day, it isn't that serious.....................
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Peasant
                  • Jul 2009

This is just another version of the 'I like this designer / clothes more than you so stop buying it and ruining it for me' debate that has been all but beaten to death on here. Personally, I have more respect for those who work and build a wardrobe rather than buy a new one everyday. But whatever.. good for whoever can do it. My style is better anyway. vrr...

Comment

• DRRRK
                    • Aug 2009

Okay, for all those who didn't, i moved on long ago from Fark-bashing. My post yesterday was addressed to Fark, then i talked in general. So these aren't the Fark wars at all. And who says style means you look the same every day? This is a ridiculous statement which might imply that if you buy only one designer you like you look the same every day. Try to explain that to Rick. You can have style in suits or jogging pants if you can rock it. But there has to be some kind of authenticity to style, whereas a lot of this has become more about the zeitgeist, just buy what is hot at the moment.

Comment

• Enaml
                      • Apr 2009

just my two cents, but I've been browsing this forum for a few years, posting for a little more than one, but it wasn't until fairly recently (the past year, I'd say) that I began to incorporate things I really liked into my wardrobe. I still have a lot of difficulty paying retail for things, even though I'd like to more often.

With most people, the price points of garments discussed here really forces one to consider if it will be valuable / if the price is right, so to speak. This almost forces a wardrobe where there is little excess and everything purchased has had thought put into it. With Fark, the gap in time between having such interests and being able to act on them by purchasing things is either nonexistent or much smaller than usual. I think this alone, regardless of how portrayed, creates an air of inauthenticity.

I can't say whether there is any emotional connection to the various aesthetics discussed here beyond it being fun little hobby for him, but I'm just saying it appears that way.
                      How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• Liquid
                        • Jul 2009

Faust, have you ever considered trading up that $20 prop sword for something more... artisanal?

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

• Liquid
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by merz
                          its the return of the pygmy nazgûl. heaven help us all.

(in all seriousness, welcome back. what are those straps and the longer under-layers?)
                          Hello again.

That's a rick alpaca wrap, which somehow is almost the same shape as the doma blazer. Strap is rick's signature strap, part of the wrap, tho it's a impractical joke on the wrap since its so long and malleable.
                          Last edited by Liquid; 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM.
                          Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

• francojean23
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                            Okay, for all those who didn't, i moved on long ago from Fark-bashing. My post yesterday was addressed to Fark, then i talked in general. So these aren't the Fark wars at all. And who says style means you look the same every day? This is a ridiculous statement which might imply that if you buy only one designer you like you look the same every day. Try to explain that to Rick. You can have style in suits or jogging pants if you can rock it. But there has to be some kind of authenticity to style, whereas a lot of this has become more about the zeitgeist, just buy what is hot at the moment.
                            refer to domain name...

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Enaml View Post
                              just my two cents, but I've been browsing this forum for a few years, posting for a little more than one, but it wasn't until fairly recently (the past year, I'd say) that I began to incorporate things I really liked into my wardrobe. I still have a lot of difficulty paying retail for things, even though I'd like to more often.

With most people, the price points of garments discussed here really forces one to consider if it will be valuable / if the price is right, so to speak. This almost forces a wardrobe where there is little excess and everything purchased has had thought put into it. With Fark, the gap in time between having such interests and being able to act on them by purchasing things is either nonexistent or much smaller than usual. I think this alone, regardless of how portrayed, creates an air of inauthenticity.

I can't say whether there is any emotional connection to the various aesthetics discussed here beyond it being fun little hobby for him, but I'm just saying it appears that way.

Well,

suppose he has more money than you do, or even us all, so the considerations we make in our purchases are less of a consideration for him...............and this less time in the gap. I dont see how this could make him "less authentic"..................also, can someone please clarify this whole idea of "authenticity that is often thrown around?

As I has said before, as someone being born in a third world Country, and coming to the US as an adult, landing practically homeless with $20 to my name..............I've never had a problem with people being super rich and able to afford whatever they want..............I could make myself miserable everyday complaining about what I dont have and cannot afford, but i'd rather busy myself with being productive and enjoying my life whatever circumstances may exist.........

If he has money and can buy a whole store whats wrong with that?
                              Some are rich, some are poor..........aint stopping the world from turning.
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                                • Oct 2010

Dear Farhan,

I knew this isshhh would be exploding the forums by the time I returned from the making, setting and consuming of four individual panna cotta with candied fennel -- all to the end of preparing for that day, months from now, when I have sized up one(?) size thus making it possible for me and Merz to share his FW 04 P(lokh). Or at least making my as yet unmade argument for him to do so more convincing ; )

Some declare themselves sooo beyond the SS11 now unfortunately monikered "Fark Wars," but I don't believe that there will be any sort of rhetorical (or sartorial) cease fire until the situation is explained in a more clear way to you, in a way that I hope is helpful. I think the patience of some have been worn thin; this is in a form unfair since I see that you are groping around in a dark room with half-formed suggestions thrown at you...and you are just expected to "get it."

The "controversial" object isn't, to my mind, a difficult one to transcend; unfortunately, the categories that we've been using to describe the discomfort that many feel about the way you've been participant in the forum have been imprecise, or confused, with many rubber-dipped red herrings thrown in for good measure -- the concept of "authenticity" as it's being used here could only confuse you further, no? (Indeed, Zamb asks for a clarification of this slippery analytical category in the post above.)

I think many are adding into the calculus of proper "authenticity," the axis of temporality. Said in another way, "you haven't been into the designer as long as I have."

Even if authenticity could be calculated and given an quantitative index, it would be, frankly, bullshit, because it doesn't take into consideration a much less empirical, metaphysical consideration: passion and soul.

For many SZers - and apologies if, as a "nôöb, I ought not speak for all of us, but fuck it, I will - the beautiful pieces you manage to acquire effortlessly come with a high retail price, but seemingly without this other cost that many of us will pay: the near-autistic (and I use that in a good way, really) obsession that requires study, research, and understanding. This all of serves to expand and direct with even greater intensity -- wrongly or rightly -- an insane, libidinal energy geared toward an end goal: if not creating greatness, then being in proximity to an object of artistic greatness.

Fark: I am certain that you are sincere. There are plenty of hopeless cases out there -- you simply have much to take in, and it doesn't seem that you've had much clear (caring?) guidance. You'll get it -- but it requires time and real effort on your part. Some thoughts: make that commitment to transform what others see as a hobby into a passion; respect it; remain humble and never ever confuse accumulation for appreciation. Don't list your leather jackets into an Excel spread-sheet for chrissake -- that's an easy one.

Importantly, demonstrate your enthusiasm, "geist," and ardor through action: by studying, understanding, and by learning through doing. Examine closely the stuff you're buying. Talk to the SAs. Participate in the threads here -- there's so much information here.

You may not want to stay around, and you may not decide to, but I'd certainly like you to. I'm curious to see you grow. I see in you a depth of sincerity, if not exactly clarity, that not everyone here has.

Remember, you can choose to be a dick or a gentleman. I hope you choose the light side -- all dressed in all black, natch.

'Scuse the French. I understand that's not ladylike.

Warmly,

MBD
                                Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM. Reason: unacceptable naughty word, jeebus
                                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎