Thread: What are you wearing today?

Quote Originally Posted by cjbreed View Post
    siding with SA again. its boring to look the exact same everyday. but mixing it up is an indulgence that is earned. it requires experience, confidence and skillful styling to not look like some kind of "i'll take one of everything" consumerist dress up party.
    Ok, Admittedly that is a thin line to walk on...totally agreed cj!
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

bow your heads all....................
    Let us pray...............................

Seriously guys...............is it that serious?
    the kid has money, and he buys what he wants/ likes...............is there anything wrong with that.

Don't we all buy what we like and those who have more money/ means than others, buy more than those who have less?
    So what if he is doing it for validation, at least that shows a realization that there is a need for social acceptance. Also the fact that regardless of the negativity thrown at him he has always been polite and respectful.....................that to me shows that there is some degree of balance in him, where he won't go hang himself over lack of acceptance/ validation.

All of this is pure nonsense..........................buy what you want, wear what you want, post pictures if you want, walk naked if you want.
    At the end of the day, it isn't that serious.....................
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

This is just another version of the 'I like this designer / clothes more than you so stop buying it and ruining it for me' debate that has been all but beaten to death on here. Personally, I have more respect for those who work and build a wardrobe rather than buy a new one everyday. But whatever.. good for whoever can do it. My style is better anyway. vrr...

Okay, for all those who didn't, i moved on long ago from Fark-bashing. My post yesterday was addressed to Fark, then i talked in general. So these aren't the Fark wars at all. And who says style means you look the same every day? This is a ridiculous statement which might imply that if you buy only one designer you like you look the same every day. Try to explain that to Rick. You can have style in suits or jogging pants if you can rock it. But there has to be some kind of authenticity to style, whereas a lot of this has become more about the zeitgeist, just buy what is hot at the moment.

just my two cents, but I've been browsing this forum for a few years, posting for a little more than one, but it wasn't until fairly recently (the past year, I'd say) that I began to incorporate things I really liked into my wardrobe. I still have a lot of difficulty paying retail for things, even though I'd like to more often.

With most people, the price points of garments discussed here really forces one to consider if it will be valuable / if the price is right, so to speak. This almost forces a wardrobe where there is little excess and everything purchased has had thought put into it. With Fark, the gap in time between having such interests and being able to act on them by purchasing things is either nonexistent or much smaller than usual. I think this alone, regardless of how portrayed, creates an air of inauthenticity.

I can't say whether there is any emotional connection to the various aesthetics discussed here beyond it being fun little hobby for him, but I'm just saying it appears that way.
    How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Faust, have you ever considered trading up that $20 prop sword for something more... artisanal?

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Quote Originally Posted by merz View Post
    its the return of the pygmy nazgűl. heaven help us all.

(in all seriousness, welcome back. what are those straps and the longer under-layers?)
    Hello again.

That's a rick alpaca wrap, which somehow is almost the same shape as the doma blazer. Strap is rick's signature strap, part of the wrap, tho it's a impractical joke on the wrap since its so long and malleable.
    Last edited by Liquid; 06-20-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Quote Originally Posted by DRRRK View Post
    Okay, for all those who didn't, i moved on long ago from Fark-bashing. My post yesterday was addressed to Fark, then i talked in general. So these aren't the Fark wars at all. And who says style means you look the same every day? This is a ridiculous statement which might imply that if you buy only one designer you like you look the same every day. Try to explain that to Rick. You can have style in suits or jogging pants if you can rock it. But there has to be some kind of authenticity to style, whereas a lot of this has become more about the zeitgeist, just buy what is hot at the moment.
    refer to domain name...

Quote Originally Posted by Enaml View Post
    just my two cents, but I've been browsing this forum for a few years, posting for a little more than one, but it wasn't until fairly recently (the past year, I'd say) that I began to incorporate things I really liked into my wardrobe. I still have a lot of difficulty paying retail for things, even though I'd like to more often.

With most people, the price points of garments discussed here really forces one to consider if it will be valuable / if the price is right, so to speak. This almost forces a wardrobe where there is little excess and everything purchased has had thought put into it. With Fark, the gap in time between having such interests and being able to act on them by purchasing things is either nonexistent or much smaller than usual. I think this alone, regardless of how portrayed, creates an air of inauthenticity.

I can't say whether there is any emotional connection to the various aesthetics discussed here beyond it being fun little hobby for him, but I'm just saying it appears that way.

Well,

suppose he has more money than you do, or even us all, so the considerations we make in our purchases are less of a consideration for him...............and this less time in the gap. I dont see how this could make him "less authentic"..................also, can someone please clarify this whole idea of "authenticity that is often thrown around?

As I has said before, as someone being born in a third world Country, and coming to the US as an adult, landing practically homeless with $20 to my name..............I've never had a problem with people being super rich and able to afford whatever they want..............I could make myself miserable everyday complaining about what I dont have and cannot afford, but i'd rather busy myself with being productive and enjoying my life whatever circumstances may exist.........

If he has money and can buy a whole store whats wrong with that?
    Some are rich, some are poor..........aint stopping the world from turning.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Dear Farhan,

I knew this isshhh would be exploding the forums by the time I returned from the making, setting and consuming of four individual panna cotta with candied fennel -- all to the end of preparing for that day, months from now, when I have sized up one(?) size thus making it possible for me and Merz to share his FW 04 P(lokh). Or at least making my as yet unmade argument for him to do so more convincing ; )

Some declare themselves sooo beyond the SS11 now unfortunately monikered "Fark Wars," but I don't believe that there will be any sort of rhetorical (or sartorial) cease fire until the situation is explained in a more clear way to you, in a way that I hope is helpful. I think the patience of some have been worn thin; this is in a form unfair since I see that you are groping around in a dark room with half-formed suggestions thrown at you...and you are just expected to "get it."

The "controversial" object isn't, to my mind, a difficult one to transcend; unfortunately, the categories that we've been using to describe the discomfort that many feel about the way you've been participant in the forum have been imprecise, or confused, with many rubber-dipped red herrings thrown in for good measure -- the concept of "authenticity" as it's being used here could only confuse you further, no? (Indeed, Zamb asks for a clarification of this slippery analytical category in the post above.)

I think many are adding into the calculus of proper "authenticity," the axis of temporality. Said in another way, "you haven't been into the designer as long as I have."

Even if authenticity could be calculated and given an quantitative index, it would be, frankly, bullshit, because it doesn't take into consideration a much less empirical, metaphysical consideration: passion and soul.

For many SZers - and apologies if, as a "nôöb, I ought not speak for all of us, but fuck it, I will - the beautiful pieces you manage to acquire effortlessly come with a high retail price, but seemingly without this other cost that many of us will pay: the near-autistic (and I use that in a good way, really) obsession that requires study, research, and understanding. This all of serves to expand and direct with even greater intensity -- wrongly or rightly -- an insane, libidinal energy geared toward an end goal: if not creating greatness, then being in proximity to an object of artistic greatness.

Fark: I am certain that you are sincere. There are plenty of hopeless cases out there -- you simply have much to take in, and it doesn't seem that you've had much clear (caring?) guidance. You'll get it -- but it requires time and real effort on your part. Some thoughts: make that commitment to transform what others see as a hobby into a passion; respect it; remain humble and never ever confuse accumulation for appreciation. Don't list your leather jackets into an Excel spread-sheet for chrissake -- that's an easy one.

Importantly, demonstrate your enthusiasm, "geist," and ardor through action: by studying, understanding, and by learning through doing. Examine closely the stuff you're buying. Talk to the SAs. Participate in the threads here -- there's so much information here.

You may not want to stay around, and you may not decide to, but I'd certainly like you to. I'm curious to see you grow. I see in you a depth of sincerity, if not exactly clarity, that not everyone here has.

Remember, you can choose to be a dick or a gentleman. I hope you choose the light side -- all dressed in all black, natch.

'Scuse the French. I understand that's not ladylike.

Warmly,

MBD
    Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 01-28-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: unacceptable naughty word, jeebus

No hard feelings D I also moved on and wasn't speaking about fark, but in general (except if I refered explicitly to him...) I am with you here....

And who said that SZ is an easy playground? History keeps repeating itself, but in the case of SZ it helps to keep this place different from other online fori.
    Man, I wished I could write like mbd...

Quote Originally Posted by DRRRK View Post
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Quote Originally Posted by theaddict View Post
    Man, I wished I could write like mbd...
    Be careful what you wish for.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Wasn't ready when the shot was taken but I kinda liked it when I saw the pic after uploading it.

man i dunno. boots look cowboy-ish from that angle and short shorts its weird in a not very nice way. maybe some cropped pants??

Yeah I guess the boots do look a bit weird from the above angle. I just wanted to see how the shorts would look with boots, but I'll mostly be wearing low sneakers with them for summer here.

the boots and short combo is hard to pull off in general, but the shape, height and general proportions (you must be sick of hearing that word) are all off. I think the main problem is that those Julius don't lend well to that combination. see example below for what I would call a passable attempt – the looser shaft and more relaxed proportions would look more appropriate and because you've got built calves it would distribute volume more seamlessly over your frame:

alternatively just wear low sneakers as you mentioned and be done with it.

edit* mbd you have a way with words, but I'm not sure he deserves that much attention? save it for more important stuff.

Like any social circle (online or otherwise) there's a hierarchy and a pecking order. New people come in, they're either welcomed with an almost unusual amount of praise (MBD...I didn't say it wasn't unwarranted, only that it was unusual) or given the business (Fark) but people settle into pretty specific roles over time.

I don't base my opinions about members on what they post in WAYWT. Those tend to form based on the discussions that take place in the more substantial parts of the forum. We know those who only post what they've bought this week or when they shoot photos of themselves and we know who who would rather discuss buying than appreciating; model and stock numbers over nuance, form and style.
    That's not to say I don't enjoy WAWYT...but it's more of the dessert to the actual meal in other parts of the forum.

If it's a witch hunt you want, it's honestly no secret who has a 'real' passion for this stuff on here. It's literally a matter of history within the SZ bowels and in the threads where all of this comes to life. Not in front of the bedroom mirror or the changing rooms...but the threads where members are discussing the designers they have a passion for and the garments they create from season to season.

The true quality and value of this forum is found beneath the layers...not necessarily in the images posted daily but the ideas exchanged. I'm not trying to get too deep; on the contrary, I'm just pointing out what I thought was blatantly obvious:

You can't fake it on here. If you're using images of yourself in an effort to prove your love for style or to stake some kind of claim for legitimacy or to mount a campaign for acceptance, you're going to ultimately fail. It probably does work on lesser forums that way.
    But I'd rather read 100 posts from someone who is obsessed with the idea of style and aesthetic and design than to view a single photo of someone who appears to be playing dress up.
    It's disheartening to go into those threads that are really the heart and soul of SZ only to find a graveyard of deleted posts where the best that some members can do is muster up 'where 2 kop' questions about buying.

This is 2011.
    You can 'buy' just about anything you want if you have the means but you can't buy knowledge. And I still don't think you can buy personal style. That's still something you have to earn the old fashioned way and that takes time, passion and dedication. That's what separates the hierarchy in my eyes, way more than any WAYWT post ever could.

ps: I think even the classifieds thread is more important than WAYWT. At least when people are motivated to sell something, they're forced to discuss and take notice of some of the aspects of construction and material and fit of garments rather just pull them on and shoot a photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzar View Post
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
    While you have the objects at which this passion is directed, your mistake is that you have not yet demonstrated a curiosity of all that which made what you enjoy possible: that is, an understanding and appreciation of the historical arc of the ideas embodied in these pieces of wearable art -- the conditions, the people, the history of the present moment that make possible your -- seemingly superficial -- reverie, no matter how sincere you thought you believed yourself to be.
    Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fark
    Ah! I was sure to get myself confronted with this question.

I see his clothing as a challenge; restrictive clothing that challenges the persona to wear it with natural ease. There is a certain macabre/grotesqueness about his clothings that I find admirable. Things like dyeing in ox blood and using buried leather, taking rawhide and pieceing them together and then object dyeing them gives the wearer a certain mummified second skin while his other pieces certainly seem to come alive like the box pants and parachute parka which I compare to a certain 'Hantu' or ghost we have which goes around with it's head and half it's torso whilst it's internal organs are dangling by it. His perforated designs and taped pieces question the wearibility of the garment whilst chainseam and paper items are subject to durability problems, but I adore deconstructionism and decomposition which is naturally a part of life; You are born into this world > Adolescence > Adulthood > Golden years > Death. If you really research on his pieces every season, you'd see that there is a certain progression that goes into the items, an idea from one piece might be applied to a piece the next season whilst staple item continually grows with different textures, modifications, etc. But, never to the extent that it completely changes the look of an item, its an evolving process and I like it. The thought that he puts into his clothing is crazy, I didn't understand it before but, it's starting to make sense to me now, which is why I've suddenly become interested in his garments. I'd like to say "Dia sudah melampaui batasan penjahitan" or 'He has exceeded the boundaries of tailoring'. The more I read of him, the more respect I have for the guy, and I'm willing to sell my soul to the devil that is Poell.

I started writing some long winded reply untill my crackberry went all wonky! (Not easy typing when on a querty key board with sausage fingers).I shall get straight to the point with the second attempt. I think that when some one makes a comment about fark, others automatically become george big gahones and jump on the bashing bus! For me that's fucking bollocks. This for me is more a sign of seeking validation from others than what you claim fark is doing. I think it comes down to one thing. Jealousy. If any one here had funds to purchase these garments loke he has, you bloody well would. So let's cut the bullshit! Because u save for months on end does not mean u have a deeper understanding or appreciate things more than those that don't have to save. The kid does not flit from one designer to another like many older members and "respected" members here. I don't care, I shall name names, christian flits to and fro and for me the biggest culprit of buying "what's hot right now and bandwagoneering is mike nouveau. No offence fellas but that's my view. In farks case , he likes dick, and some grandma and whole heartedly supports adelines work, which is admirable. Support the young designers is what so many preach but not practice. Every one starts somewhere, not one person here was pushed out out of their mothers baby tunnel with a developed sense of style and aesthetic. Many talk as if they are connosieurs of pattern making, cut and fabrication, where in reality you haven't the foggiest. It just fucks me off when people become too self righteous and overly precious about some designers. For me there is no wrong or right. Personal style is exactly what it says on the tin, PERSONAL! As the kid has stated many a time, he is comfortable in what he wears. For me that is the most important thing. You dress for yourself, not for others. I'm out spoken in real life not just behind a keyboard. So I expect a huge backlash now, but fuggit! I think I have stated some things here that many think but do not post. Love , Peace and chicken grease x
    Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 01-09-2011 at 12:22 PM.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.