• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chant
    Banned
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Magician View Post
    This strikes me as in very poor taste....
    My post was not a parody (i.e. a mockery), but a pastiche, using the word "niggaz" the way some black people and/or rap/gangster movies' fans use it, as SombreResplendence understood and stated it.
    And actually I didn't imagine that anyone here could have thought one second that it was not in this way.
    For the record and on a side note, I don't think that the way we dress is better than theirs, and I really enjoy the rap outfits I meet very often in my area, since I live in a poor suburbanite town, and the way they play with the body proportions. In addition, I never received from them any aggresive or astonished look, unlike from real Parisians.

Imo the real question is elsewhere : Why do some black people use the pejorative/insulting word "nigger" (or "nigga", or "niggaz", or "niggasz", etc.) to interpelete each other ? I would see two possibility, one positive and one negative.
    In a kind of Aïkido move, they would have defused the insult by making the word their own, but I'm not convinced at all. I'd rather think of it as a kind of alienation by the ennemi's wording, and a sign of some sort of acquired self disdain. But I'm hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• CommieRabbit
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Christian View Post
      In a kind of Aïkido move, they would have defused the insult by making the word their own, but I'm not convinced at all. I'd rather think of it as a kind of alienation by the ennemi's wording, and a sign of some sort of acquired self disdain. But I'm hope I'm wrong.
      Your first thought seems correct actually, but quite a bit more complicated as well. It's common for oppressed minorities to repurpose, or as you said, defuse words that have traditionally (or still do) stigmatised them. For instance, just look at what the gay community has done with this.

It's also part of culture and context. Considering hip-hop and whatever other media that uses such words as "niggas" has it's roots in America, it's probably very different than what you may hear and experience in France. A lot of it is reactionary to the black plight that occured and still occures in America. I mean so many instances in history have been ingrained in their identity, such as slavery and the civil rights movement (among others). Also of note, a lot of blacks in the states have, somewhere down the line, been born into slavery through ancestry, whereas in europe many are more recent immigrants that have willfully made the voyage. I would imagine such a thing bears quite heavily in your identity.

I think, and I may be wrong, that it's something far beyond the scope of your average european when they have not fully been immersed in American culture, as much as they want to think they know about.

But I'm not a American nor am I black so if someone more knowledgeable on the subject could chime in, feel free,

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Mail-Moth
          • Mar 2009

Adeline, you did great once more.

I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
          I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Chant
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

Isn't this a bit hum... too much ?
            Nice cocoon like scarf shape !

Comment

• Mail-Moth
              • Mar 2009

Too much ? No way. There's plenty of place left for stars and garlands

Okay, same pants with a little less going on around them.

I don't have any doubts about this one. This is exactly the kind of silhouette I wanted to achieve.
              Last edited by Mail-Moth; 01-03-2010, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

[
                Originally posted by Christian View Post
                My post was not a parody (i.e. a mockery), but a pastiche, using the word "niggaz" the way some black people and/or rap/gangster movies' fans use it, as SombreResplendence understood and stated it.
                And actually I didn't imagine that anyone here could have thought one second that it was not in this way.
                For the record and on a side note, I don't think that the way we dress is better than theirs, and I really enjoy the rap outfits I meet very often in my area, since I live in a poor suburbanite town, and the way they play with the body proportions. In addition, I never received from them any aggresive or astonished look, unlike from real Parisians.

Imo the real question is elsewhere : Why do some black people use the pejorative/insulting word "nigger" (or "nigga", or "niggaz", or "niggasz", etc.) to interpelete each other ? I would see two possibility, one positive and one negative.
                Well you may have offended some if you had said that the way "we" dress is better than them, but since I am a black man let me say so. I do believe that the way we dress is better that them. for the record I am not using "we" here in a way of seeing myself as some kind of "honorary white" individual, but we, in the sense of individuals having a greeter understanding of refinement, taste, and quality when it comes to sartorial choices. I know a lot of blacks who have great style, even rejecting the accepted standards of dress as projected on them by modern society and that I greatly appreciate and admire. What I detest among many blacks is the unwillingness to educate themselves in such matters or to make any kind of attempt to develop an individual style. what I often see is an easy adaptation and assimilation of accepted dress coded, even when such ways of dressing are inappropriate and in no way reflects individual character

Originally posted by ledger
                haha ^
                The first thing that i can think of to even say on such a subject is here we go again, for the umpteenth time.
                How much is umpteenth, and when is it enough to dismiss discussing (at least in an intelligent and productive way) the differences and sometimes unfortunate historical (and at times present) circumstances between the races?
                I know that we often long for some kind of Utopian existence where racial inequality (among other unfortunate human complexities) and its sad history is no longer relevant, but if we are to get there it will require at least a discussion on our past, present and differences, even at times when we feel like we have discussed these things enough and no longer want to.................

Originally posted by CommieRabbit View Post
                Your first thought seems correct actually, but quite a bit more complicated as well. It's common for oppressed minorities to repurpose, or as you said, defuse words that have traditionally (or still do) stigmatised them. For instance, just look at what the gay community has done with this.

It's also part of culture and context. Considering hip-hop and whatever other media that uses such words as "niggas" has it's roots in America, it's probably very different than what you may hear and experience in France. A lot of it is reactionary to the black plight that occured and still occures in America. I mean so many instances in history have been ingrained in their identity, such as slavery and the civil rights movement (among others). Also of note, a lot of blacks in the states have, somewhere down the line, been born into slavery through ancestry, whereas in europe many are more recent immigrants that have willfully made the voyage. I would imagine such a thing bears quite heavily in your identity.

I think, and I may be wrong, that it's something far beyond the scope of your average european when they have not fully been immersed in American culture, as much as they want to think they know about.

But I'm not a American nor am I black so if someone more knowledgeable on the subject could chime in, feel free,

I think that thee is no easy answer to Christians question, one of the major problems, especially in America among blacks is the fact that almost every black person is seen or grouped as African American, when at this point in Human existence there are numerous blacks with different backgrounds and historical past that does not fit into the traditional African American experience.
                I Never use the word Nigger, Niggaz or any such word, matter of fact I don't use curse words or percieved derogatory words at all. I also do sometimes feel sad when I see blacks using the word Nigga to describe themselves. knowing the history and loaded past that comes along with it, I see it as an over trivialization of a valuable part of our history that too much people spend too little time understanding.
                I certainly don't wish to be addressed as such, nor do I think its fair to use the word as a black and then cry foul when someone of another race does so. Often times in my own self reflection I have even thought about not using the word "Black" to identify myself but rather "Jamaican" or of Ethiopian descent, but felt it would complicate understanding in a way that's not necessary.

As a Caribbean individual I do not see the world in the same way many African Americans or Blacks from Africa and Europe does, as my experiences are in many ways significantly different from theirs. one of the problems that exist is that here in America, I am seen and perceived as African American and has thus made a serious effort to understand the African American history and experience, if only to function in a world that most of the time perceives me as such.
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                  this is my new favorite emoticon, lol.

Why is it ALWAYS in the WAYWT thread that we fight, no matter what about? LOL.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

well in our minds we see it the same way then, even if not articulated as such,
                    but you can blame the magician for pulling that Rabbit out of his hat
                    ......... or some other place that Faust told him to shove it

I completely agree Zamb, it was mainly a comment towards the derailment that the WAYWT thread was going to end up with, 'once again'. Another 3 page written discussion (which, to be fair, most of the time is good), not necessarily where it needs to be on SZ.

Twas all.

Comment

• jogu
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post

this fit is $$$ , i love everythin about it specially the jacket. prolly one of my fave fits from you ever

Comment

• hobo
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                        [Well you may have offended some if you had said that the way "we" dress is better than them, but since I am a black man let me say so. I do believe that the way we dress is better that them. for the record I am not using "we" here in a way of seeing myself as some kind of "honorary white" individual, but we, in the sense of individuals having a greeter understanding of refinement, taste, and quality when it comes to sartorial choices. I know a lot of blacks who have great style, even rejecting the accepted standards of dress as projected on them by modern society and that I greatly appreciate and admire. What I detest among many blacks is the unwillingness to educate themselves in such matters or to make any kind of attempt to develop an individual style. what I often see is an easy adaptation and assimilation of accepted dress coded, even when such ways of dressing are inappropriate and in no way reflects individual character

How much is umpteenth, and when is it enough to dismiss discussing (at least in an intelligent and productive way) the differences and sometimes unfortunate historical (and at times present) circumstances between the races?
                        I know that we often long for some kind of Utopian existence where racial inequality (among other unfortunate human complexities) and its sad history is no longer relevant, but if we are to get there it will require at least a discussion on our past, present and differences, even at times when we feel like we have discussed these things enough and no longer want to.................

I think that thee is no easy answer to Christians question, one of the major problems, especially in America among blacks is the fact that almost every black person is seen or grouped as African American, when at this point in Human existence there are numerous blacks with different backgrounds and historical past that does not fit into the traditional African American experience.
                        I Never use the word Nigger, Niggaz or any such word, matter of fact I don't use curse words or percieved derogatory words at all. I also do sometimes feel sad when I see blacks using the word Nigga to describe themselves. knowing the history and loaded past that comes along with it, I see it as an over trivialization of a valuable part of our history that too much people spend too little time understanding.
                        I certainly don't wish to be addressed as such, nor do I think its fair to use the word as a black and then cry foul when someone of another race does so. Often times in my own self reflection I have even thought about not using the word "Black" to identify myself but rather "Jamaican" or of Ethiopian descent, but felt it would complicate understanding in a way that's not necessary.

As a Caribbean individual I do not see the world in the same way many African Americans or Blacks from Africa and Europe does, as my experiences are in many ways significantly different from theirs. one of the problems that exist is that here in America, I am seen and perceived as African American and has thus made a serious effort to understand the African American history and experience, if only to function in a world that most of the time perceives me as such.
                        Nigga, nigga, nigga, nigga, nigga, nigga nigga,
                        Everybody’s sayin’ it,
                        Everybody’s playin’ it,
                        Roll it on the scales, ‘cos’ everybody’s weighin’ it.
                        Take a small problem, make a small problem bigger.
                        I don’t wanna be called yo Nigga!

Zamb, you talk a lot of sense, man! The only thing that I would take issue with (regarding the dress part of what you said) is that this is not a black or white thing. It’s human nature. At the risk of repeating myself; we all dress for one of two reasons, to demonstrate our belonging to a tribe (identifying ourselves as part of a group) that we either are a part of or that we aspire to be a part of. This is a very old instinct that goes all the way back to the dawn of man and no matter how sophisticated our tastes become it still boils down to the same thing. Whether you are (or would like to be) a ghetto soldier, a English chav, a lady who lunches, a city boy or a hippy, your clothes are a statement of that fact. Sometimes, the less people understand this fact, the more ostentatious their clothing is! That is ‘unconscious incompetence’. As people educate themselves or acquire knowledge of the subject they then ascend through ‘conscious incompetence’ and ‘conscious competence’ ending in ‘mastery’.

I completely agree Zamb, it was mainly a comment towards the derailment that the WAYWT thread was going to end up with, 'once again'. Another 3 page written discussion (which, to be fair, most of the time is good), not necessarily where it needs to be on SZ.

Twas all.
                        Who gives a shit what anyone’s wearing? This is far more interesting!

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                        Too much ? No way. There's plenty of place left for stars and garlands

Okay, same pants with a little less going on around them.

I don't have any doubts about this one. This is exactly the kind of silhouette I wanted to achieve.
                        A masterpiece, my friend!
                        "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• jcotteri
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                          :))))))))))))))

perfect imo
                          WTB: This

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by jcotteri View Post
                            :))))))))))))))

perfect imo

Some people stay far away from the door
                            If there's a chance of it opening up
                            They hear a voice in the hall outside
                            And hope that it just passes by

Some people live with the fear of a touch
                            And the anger of having been a fool
                            They will not listen to anyone
                            So nobody tells them a lie

I know you're only protecting yourself
                            I know you're thinking of somebody else
                            Someone who hurt you
                            But I'm not above
                            Making up for the love
                            You've been denying you could ever feel
                            I'm not above doing anything
                            To restore your faith if I can

Some people see through the eyes of the old
                            Before they ever get a look at the young
                            I'm only willing to hear you cry
                            Because I am an innocent man
                            I am an innocent man
                            Oh yes I am

Some people say they will never believe
                            Another promise they hear in the dark
                            Because they only remember too well
                            They heard somebody tell them before

the great Billy Joel

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                              • Mar 2009

Three photos in a day - sorry for that. But I really see those pants as a strong incitation to think further about silhouette. I want to try things. Hence the new angle, more favorable to static poses.

Color are hardly visible on this one, as on the previous pic - but this is not about color, since I stick to the same shades.

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

This is very very good imo.
                                The pants untucked let them express their elegant outdated originality.
                                HOF ?
                                Yes, HOF.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎