X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
    ....We now clearly know what Buju's most recent purchase was..
    where 2 kop?

just kiddin.....i actually gave that shit up hours ago.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• hobo
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
      It ain't a party till Faust shows up!

Originally posted by pierce View Post
      Interesting...reckon though it is not easy as we all ( life ) evolved in nature where something like the fibonacci series is all prevalent. You'd have to get your ego to override 4 billion years of evolution.
      Personally, I'd prefer to go with the flow :)
      So aesthetics evolved over 4 billion years. Interesting; I didn't know that.
      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• hobo
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        where 2 kop?

just kiddin.....i actually gave that shit up hours ago.
        This thread gets better and better!
        "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
          written in reference to:

something like this, worded differently, comes up in just about every debate sz has been host to. though nothing is absolute, that particular angle is something of a dead end. thought i'd point out the obvious.
          I think considering what the person is trying to accomplish is part and parcel of what a good critique is. One of the important components of aesthetic judgment is empathy.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Interesting...reckon though it is not easy as we all ( life ) evolved in nature where something like the fibonacci series is all prevalent. You'd have to get your ego to override 4 billion years of evolution.
            Personally, I'd prefer to go with the flow :)
            There is no flow though. It's not because we translated observations into the mathematical language (a human concept btw) that it ensues it becomes an aesthetic consideration. Especially considering Plato, his ideal forms and the research of harmony as aesthetic goal is passé to say the least.

Comment

• hobo
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
              I think considering what the person is trying to accomplish is part and parcel of what a good critique is. One of the important components of aesthetic judgment is empathy.
              Very well put!

There is no flow though. It's not because we translated observations into the mathematical language (a human concept btw) that it ensues it becomes an aesthetic consideration. Especially considering Plato, his ideal forms and the research of harmony as aesthetic goal is passé to say the least.
              Cut his some slack. It's not passé, it's just that it is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very old fashioned way of looking at it.

It also doesn't explain why aesthetics differ wildly throughout the world; even the very base ones.

Comment

• hobo
                • Jul 2009

Consider this thread hijacked.

Faust, we want dinner in Paris, or you'll never see it again!

Comment

• pierce
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2009

Think what I am saying is that instinctually, based on evolving in a world with certain physical rules, that some things look right and some things look wrong. If you look as something that is lop sided and about to fall over, it will evoke an irrational response regardless of whether it is fixed in place or not. Our judgement of facial beauty on symmetry is based on our evolutionary past. Or when something like the fibonacci series is broken in nature we tend to look at it in a different light. Someone whose head is 5 times bigger than their body?

I do think we have a certain set of inbuilt rules from our evolutionary past, influencing our judgement of what looks right and wrong, everything else is window dressing.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Think what I am saying is that instinctually, based on evolving in a world with certain physical rules, that some things look right and some things look wrong. If you look as something that is lop sided and about to fall over, it will evoke an irrational response regardless of whether it is fixed in place or not. Our judgement of facial beauty on symmetry is based on our evolutionary past. Or when something like the fibonacci series is broken in nature we tend to look at it in a different light. Someone whose head is 5 times bigger than their body?

I do think we have a certain set of inbuilt rules from our evolutionary past, influencing our judgement of what looks right and wrong, everything else is window dressing.
                    Define "looking right".
                    Explain to me why someone should dress to "look right" according to your definition of "looking right".

BTW the research you refer to is not settled. It is also, amusingly enough, not replicable in most social settings (for example masculine faces were accurate predictor of success in the army but that's it), which sorta tells us what is really important.

Comment

• Chant
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2008

Think what I am saying is that instinctually, based on evolving in a world with certain physical rules, that some things look right and some things look wrong. If you look as something that is lop sided and about to fall over, it will evoke an irrational response regardless of whether it is fixed in place or not. Our judgement of facial beauty on symmetry is based on Renaissance's aesthetic rules.

I do think we have a certain set of inbuilt rules from our culturaly past, influencing our judgement of what looks right and wrong, everything else is window dressing.
                      Why not ?

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                        Why not ?
                        To be fair le triangle d'or was inherited from Greek sculptors. In fact those sandal wearers and their thinkings are buried everywhere in our collective unconscious and we end up believing their principles to be universal truths. Which is why seeing asian clothing and modes of thinking can be such a culture shock.

Comment

• Chant
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2008

To be fair le triangle d'or was inherited from Greek sculptors. In fact those sandal wearers and their thinkings are buried everywhere in our collective unconscious and we end up believing their principles to be universal truths. Which is why seeing asian clothing and modes of thinking can be such a culture shock.
                          It's more a rereading than a direct heritage.
                          But I knew that you would say that, so I wasn't more precise on purpose.

Comment

• mesh
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by een View Post

back in l.a., usual suspects:
                            cdiem
                            rick owens
                            aa
                            drkshdw
                            layer-0
                            Did you order the fried egg sandwich? Please tell me you did.

Comment

• pierce
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2009

I'm fully convinced that we have an instinctual preference for things that conform to certain ratios and proportions that exist everywhere in the physical world.

And the nice lady from earlier, I think she looks good, instinctual I'm sure :)
                              As for fashion and clothes, its window dressing at the end of the day.

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

I'm fully convinced that we have an instinctual preference for things that conform to certain ratios and proportions that exist everywhere in the physical world.
                                Yes, I know, as I'm fully convinced that these preferences are cultural.
                                It's like being a believer or an atheist, a conservative or a democrat, a beer or a wine drinker, red wine or white wine, red wine without bubbles, white wine with bubbles, etc.
                                It's a matter of faith - or taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎