X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

My view is that people are naturally drawn to contrast rather than proportion but maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Some proportion differences rely heavily on contrast. Someone once established a formula to what makes men attractive to women (and vice-versa) and a huge part of it was symmetry. Which is kind of the opposite of contrast.

A lot of people can't explain why they like something when they're drawn to it visually. They just know that they like it. But there are 5 main principles of design that are based on the laws/concepts of natural attraction.

As a result, I do tend to see some aesthetics as instinctual rather than intellectual (when people create something, whether it's putting together an outfit or designing one from scratch.) When you silence the natural instinct, elements can look contrived at times.

Interesting concept though.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• een
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mesh View Post
      Did you order the fried egg sandwich? Please tell me you did.
      not this time...
      braised short rib sandwich with horseradish

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
        Hey Zamb, I feel what you're sayin, but the thing here, imo, is that she's not trying to nail a look; this is just this person's everyday garb and she could give a shit about precision fit or elevating any part of her look by balancing it with something polished. I mean, she was the one stopped on the street by Scott Schuman and asked for her picture; it's not like she put herself up on SZ for anyone's fashion advice, LOL..
        The very fact that she's not conscious of any perceived faux pas makes her look more authentic than many we see here, truth be told.
        Originally posted by interest1 View Post
        I'm sure she has a standard. It's just held to her own, not yours

[out of lurkerville]

i think i'm in love.

these statements make more sense than 99% of the stuff i read on this forum.

[/retreat back into lurkerville]

Comment

• Originally posted by Faust View Post
          This thread is too much, where is Lowrey's famous "WTF is going on here" emoticon?! The girl looks hot, and so does interest1. End of story. Case closed. PM sent.
          Did you just buy that woman?

Comment

• pierce
            Banned
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
            Yes, I know, as I'm fully convinced that these preferences are cultural.
            It's like being a believer or an atheist, a conservative or a democrat, a beer or a wine drinker, red wine or white wine, red wine without bubbles, white wine with bubbles, etc.
            It's a matter of faith - or taste.
            Suppose we are heading into nature vs nuture.

Where culture comes in, I'd say christian if you grew up in the Bronx you might be wearing FUBU jeans. This is why I don't think there is much point commenting on whether they look good or not, its purely cultural. It more window dressing.

Comment

• Enaml
              • Apr 2009

It's like being a believer or an atheist, a conservative or a democrat, a beer or a wine drinker, red wine or white wine, red wine without bubbles, white wine with bubbles, etc.
              With this in mind, how much do you think our taste in things normally seen as dispositional, for example taste in sexual partners, can be 'cultivated' or altered, based on environmental/cultural influence?
              How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• pierce
                Banned
                • Aug 2009

Enaml, I was thinking the same but didn't want to go there.

Comment

• stretcheroo
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                  [out of lurkerville]

i think i'm in love.

[/retreat back into lurkerville]
                  Get in line.

Comment

• merkuri
                    • Sep 2009

i dunno. i have been attracted to uber irish looking girls with green eyes since I am 8 and i grew up in a predominantly latino neighborhood.

Originally posted by Enaml View Post
                    With this in mind, how much do you think our taste in things normally seen as dispositional, for example taste in sexual partners, can be 'cultivated' or altered, based on environmental/cultural influence?

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merkuri View Post
                      i dunno. i have been attracted to uber irish looking girls with green eyes since I am 8 and i grew up in a predominantly latino neighborhood.
                      Wait, are you seriously trying to say that some mysterious gene of the "dudes liking irish-lookin girls" is pushing you to go for that while culture both in your neighborhood and at large + your relationship with your parents and other psychoanalytic factors are not suitable explanations?

Are you all taking crazy pills? Talking about sexual preferences, who was born with the gene that makes you get turned on by girls popping balloons? In what kind of absolutely topsy-turvy teleological reality do you "nature made me do it!!" people live?
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Enaml View Post
                        Sexual ORIENTATION might have a genetic component (unconfirmed). Taste in sexual partners is cultural, for example the female "ideal" changes a lot from culture to culture and epoch to epoch. Take something like attractive eye shapes; it underwent a transformation in Asia after extensive exposure to Western media and culture.

Now some of you might not realize this but what we're fighting over is the very essence of the forum; is this a place where you get your dark outfit for alternative professions (meet the new boss, same as the old boss)? Or a place of exchange where we challenge common conceptions regarding manners of dress and expression?
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Enaml
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                          Sexual ORIENTATION might have a genetic component (unconfirmed). Taste in sexual partners is cultural, for example the female "ideal" changes a lot from culture to culture and epoch to epoch. Take something like attractive eye shapes; it underwent a transformation in Asia after extensive exposure to Western media and culture.

Now some of you might not realize this but what we're fighting over is the very essence of the forum; is this a place where you get your dark outfit for alternative professions (meet the new boss, same as the old boss)? Or a place of exchange where we challenge common conceptions regarding manners of dress and expression?
                          I guess I'm curious as to whether environmental factors can alter something (culturally perceived as) so stagnant as sexual preference. This could either get at introducing the factor of time to the kinsey scale, or just a taste in men/women altering (sometimes dramatically) over time.

Comment

• Enaml
                            • Apr 2009

Also, it's important to note what we've learned through the fields of social and environmental psychology in this sort of discussion, I think.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hobo View Post
                              Consider this thread hijacked.

Faust, we want dinner in Paris, or you'll never see it again!
                              No problem :-)
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

It's like being a believer or an atheist, a conservative or a democrat, a beer or a wine drinker, red wine or white wine, red wine without bubbles, pink champagne, white wine with bubbles, etc.
                                fixed
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎