X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BeauIXI
    • Nov 2008

Waywt drunk thread, anyone?

Thanks for the business/economics-related terms, guys! Very interesting and useful.
    Originally posted by philip nod
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• DHC
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
      try to ignore the background

Why? I think it makes the picture much more interesting. Cool Serling-esque kind of vibe. I dig it.
      Originally posted by Faust
      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
        You're describing a phenomenon economists have labeled "diamond goods" when, relative to its cost, an item's actual utility (value) to a person increases as its cost to them increases.

Diamonds are the classic example of such an item (hence the name) because unless you're one of the very few specialized industrial producers whose trade actually needs diamonds, diamonds aren't bringing you any tangible benefit beyond the fact that you are displaying their scarcity (cost) for all to see.

I sometimes fear I'm supporting a market whose value is at least partially artificial, where the objects we lust after season upon season have a value based purely in our desire for them. This suspicion is often strengthened when I see the aggressive pursuit (even, policing!) of items priced below perceived market value. The recent CCP shoes sale thread was vaguely reminiscent of oil cartels calling out a member whose price was too low for their liking...don't sell CCP for that little...when I try to sell my next item my asking price will no longer seem reasonable...(full disclosure: I'm crushed I missed out on those derbies cause they WERE my size...and they WERE a good price...)

...but then I realize how much I love these items, and realize that they yield more than enough value to me, for whatever the reason...
        well, I dont want to trivialize or minimize the value of aesthetic beauty and intrinsic value, or the state of contentment and happiness certain objects bring. because if one acquires something, that possesses a type of beauty that brings a certain Joy and confidence that allows the individual to go about with happiness and positivity, then surely there is value in that (so long as the item doesn't become an object of worship.
        I am speaking within the context of say............. buying a winter coat from a high end brand that doesn't keep you warm for a price of 4K, but eschewing one for 1K (quarter of the price) that would definitely allow you to go about the winter in a more comfortable state of being.........
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• mortalveneer
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
          well, I dont want to trivialize or minimize the value of aesthetic beauty and intrinsic value, or the state of contentment and happiness certain objects bring. because if one acquires something, that possesses a type of beauty that brings a certain Joy and confidence that allows the individual to go about with happiness and positivity, then surely there is value in that (so long as the item doesn't become an object of worship.
          I am speaking within the context of say............. buying a winter coat from a high end brand that doesn't keep you warm for a price of 4K, but eschewing one for 1K (quarter of the price) that would definitely allow you to go about the winter in a more comfortable state of being.........

nor do I seek to belittle (or even claim to understand with any great accuracy) the value a given piece brings to an individual. It is all of those things you mention and more...one is more sensually involved with one's clothing than almost anything else in this world and it is partly for this reason that I so love fine textiles when particularly well engineered to both fit my body and project a given aesthetic...

I was just seeing a parallel between what you were describing and the concept of diamond goods...it need not define ALL of an item's value to an individual, but it can partly inform an explanation of a given person's valuation of that item...
          I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Who?
            • Aug 2007

before I even say his post, I was thinking about the
            Necklace Who? made and was wondering if he was going to appreciate and treat it in the same way he would if he had bought the Ann D original. It made me start to think about the psychological aspect of value................
            I have often seen value being defined by a price tag, or a label revered, (at this is even beyond the realm of clothing)......... when sometimes if a pure comparison is made, the less expensive thing can be of greater value than the more costly.
            . I have always felt that anything I create is somehow more special than what I buy. But in this example I did not create, I had nothing to do with the creative process of this piece, it was all Ann. I saw this project as something that would be a fun challenge (it took me several attempts before I figured out the correct process) but it was also a project I could complete in my day off unlike the many half finished paintings, patterns and drawings in my place. Normally I don't like these easy, one-day, borderline masturbatory exercises because its not really the final product that I am after, its the process I adore. The final product is a reminder of the process, which is more valuable to me than if I had just bought the piece.
            WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
              Exactly, all this enumerations of expensive to highly expensive brands is sometimes ridiculous, especially in the case of accessories.
              Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
              this was my lazy way of saying, "that scarf is quite nice. Is it from a label I would recognize, or is it a relatively unknown or no-name designer?"

I almost chuckle out loud at the intimation of being a label-whore amongst this crowd...
              Not a bad rendition, Mr T. Though I think the chain could use a a bit of down-sizing. Nothing like a little inside joke for a midday pick-me-up, eh tomatous? ...

mortal- Regarding the mystery scarf, I'm more quality-whore than label whore, and I didn't check the name on the tag before ripping it out. But I gotta confess: that fucker cost me an arm & a leg.
              DRRRK– Alas, ridiculous numeration rears its ugly head in the accessories department.
              zamb– That was a great thing to say. thank you

I think by default, when you look for things with an eye toward good fabric and workmanship, you generally end up with a 'noteworthy' label–along with a noteworthy price. One great go-to cashmere scarf is all I want to own. I've worn this thing on every cold day for the past 2+ years, so that pretty penny I coughed up quickly paid for itself.

My credo is 'have less, but have better'. That buys you less guilt, more closet space.

And to my fine-feathered friends–Yes, the damn necklace hangs hidden as part of today's outfit, just like it did with yesterday's, and just as it shall with tomorrow's.

Alesha–the final word goes to you: No argument there; Fuuma does looks more genuine–because Fuuma was genuinely drunk.
              Last edited by interest1; 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM.
              sain't

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                My credo is 'have less, but have better'. That buys you less guilt, more closet space.

Quality over Quantity

Although, I suspect many of us on here have plenty of quantity as well.
                THE HOUSE OF DIS
                embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• BeauIXI
                  • Nov 2008

Especially when you have a remaining $3000.00 to spend on hot chocolate.
                  Originally posted by philip nod
                  somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
                    There is an interesting talk here
                    by and advertising executive talking about perceived vs actual value. One of the arguments he makes is that perceiving things to be more valuable than they are could be a good thing if we could use it in such a way that we consume less. I.e. buy fewer and more expensive items instead of lots of cheap ones.
                    I wholly subscribe to this view.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Now I know who taught Dieter Rams everything he knows.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tomatous
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009

Not a bad rendition, Mr T. Though I think the chain could use a a bit of down-sizing. Nothing like a little inside joke for a midday pick-me-up, eh tomatous? ...
                        I custom made the thickness to your liking, my precious!

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

No outfits today, people?

Devoa jacket, as promised. I will ask somebody to take a better picture - consider this a preview.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• marck
                            • Dec 2008

Faust that hoodie looks soo good on you. Love the sleeve length on it. Not really a hoodie fan but that Devoa is something else

Comment

• sagaji
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              No outfits today, people?

Devoa jacket, as promised. I will ask somebody to take a better picture - consider this a preview.

great look Faust!
                              here is a model fit! if anyone thinking to buy them too..

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Can't compete with Patrick on height, but he doesn't have a blue bike!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎