Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peasant
    • Jul 2009

HOF is a great thread. But as a newer member it comes across as more about the clothing/outfit than the image itself. I have a degree in photography. And I completely agree that a great image (lighting, composition, exposure, scene, focus, etc..) is just as important of an element as what he/she is wearing. Clothing should be displayed well. But something that shows emotion and tells a bit of a story would be nice.

Obviously many on here don't have access to a good camera. ($2000 footwear? Sure. $1500 camera? No way.) So we end up with digi-cam shots in dorm rooms. I'm all for elevating the quality of the photo. But if that's the standard, more than half of those already in should be taken out.

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

I'm curious to know what you would remove. bf u got here 75% ofwaywt photos were crappy, ill composed throwaway photos, now the reverse is true. it doesn't matter what camera you use, or if you have a degree, all that matters is that people take pride in what they put out there and elevate the forum.
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

here's an idea.

let's activate the poll feature in vBulletin® so we can all get to vote who gets into HOF and who doesn't.

Comment

• BeauIXI
          • Nov 2008

I think the current Poell feature is working quite finely.
          Originally posted by philip nod
          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
            ... hof was always first and foremost about elevating the level and quality of the components of picture making. ...
            her photo is perfect in light balance color everything. oh well cest la vie
            Originally posted by Peasant View Post
            HOF is a great thread. But as a newer member it comes across as more about the clothing/outfit than the image itself. ...
            i think it can be both. and i think both timber and venus' latest belong in hof...
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Peasant
              • Jul 2009

I'm having a tough time responding. If you're saying that her photo should be included because it's a pretty picture..Ok, I somewhat agree. The standards for HOF aren't clearly defined. And we obviously have different views on what a quality image is. There will always be some level of disagreement. It's like trying to prove what the best favorite color is.

Personally, I'm fine with everything in the HOF thread. They're there because the people want them there. But from a photographers standpoint, I do not feel that all the images within compare with hers. And if hers is the standard and that standard is the ultimate deciding factor; others should not be there.

My apologies if that doesn't make sense. Best I can do.

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

lulz@poell
                there are my original guidelines somewhere
                the jury process was too slow so it rightly became a loose process, one that feels right, etc. regardless, I was quickly reminded why I stopped posting for 3 months.

Comment

• Spencer
                  • Feb 2007

Don't go away again pnod. We've lost so many OG posters over the years that I don't want to see you go away again too. You are the light at the end of the tunnel. You are my SZ sunshine. Post up a fit pic and blow us away.

Because that's just what you do.

/end fawning over pnod

Comment

• christianef
                    • Feb 2009

im all for elevating the forum and nothing against timber as i dont think HOF was her intention to start, but the outfit is a little too generic for HOF. have you ever been to a hair salon? i think andrew's HOF is the perfect example of the HOF standard. cool, clean picture, but more importantly untouchable outfit. i'll echo merz this logic wont elevate the forum it will reduce it to a second rate lookbook with people trying to match their lipstick to the stop-sign behind them.

Comment

• Spencer
                      • Feb 2007

Regardless of who did what to change the tide, and to what these pics contain, it's certainly a more enjoyable experience to see a quality lesser outfitted photo than a shitty quality lookbook photo. HOF (as well as holy grail, ugh!) are terms thrown around in too loose a manner imo. It's all a work in progress. What isn't? Sure not all photos are winners, but stroll through this thread a year ago compared to now and it's almost night and day. The percentage of winners to losers has been swayed to the favorable considerably.

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

honestly Merz you've lately been too much about the clothes. oh Mir and minomi are wearing dope clothes for sure but the photos are a bore.
                        christiane f honestly have I ever been to a hair salon? you are the worst and lack imagination at your best.
                        Last edited by philip nod; 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• snafu
                          • Apr 2008

To be honest i agree with the above about minomi & ohMir, i cant see anything about them in the photos. I get far more of a feeling and can see for more about timber with that shot.

Don't get me wrong a photo on here is just a photo, but over time as you see members consistently post you can see something about them. I can see far more from timbers last 2 shots than 20 from others in a bedroom against a white wall.

Look at Bai he adds something about him in his shots they may be against a white wall but its his stance and mix of clothes. I guess i can tell what bai likes in a garment and what he is trying to express in his dress; it communicates his personality. Over time this shows even more, wether it be in a room or outside it doesn't feel contrived he is not wearing what may be the elitist on the forum but he is wearing what has attracted him.
                          I guess relativity is to be considered, i mean this has happened when venus has posted a great shot photography wise, composition etc.

But for instance nods shadow shot of his tail coat i would rather see in the 'HOF' than the existing coat shot, because its more unique quirky thought out, we are left with an impression of something rather than just Poell on a plate.

Comment

• Spencer
                            • Feb 2007

Merz, you too are the man. You are headstrong and steadfast in your opinions, but that's what makes you you and that makes you a integral part to SZ. We all wont agree because that's not in our nature as individuals, but I'm sure we as cultured folk (somewhat) can agree that progress has been made by leaps and bounds.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                              im all for elevating the forum and nothing against timber as i dont think HOF was her intention to start, but the outfit is a little too generic for HOF. have you ever been to a hair salon? i think andrew's HOF is the perfect example of the HOF standard. cool, clean picture, but more importantly untouchable outfit. i'll echo merz this logic wont elevate the forum it will reduce it to a second rate lookbook with people trying to match their lipstick to the stop-sign behind them.
                              agreed (no offense, timber, i think your outfit is lovely)
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuugaia
                                • Feb 2010

I just came from TFS waywt and I love this forum's waywt better than any other. Simply because people here have an opinion. The level of photos here in the last few pages would be hof standard in many other forums, but it's not here because there are so many strong opinions. But when there's an outfit posted 'that nobody can touch', that hardly any opinion can shatter...it gets HOF'd. That seems to be working well so far (that doesn't mean I don't think some of the HOFs are worthy/unworthy, but sometimes majority wins is the only way).

Croatoan your recent pictures make me think of Korea as a farm country. Anyway, would love to see a detailed pic of the suit on you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎