No announcement yet.

What are you wearing today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe how people can comment on how HE looks, when it's about the clothes and don't tell me it isn't. Is one supposed to adapt to the clothes or let there be a meeting between the clothes and the wearer? I don't see what is so insincere.

he should be wearing a tommy hilfiger jacket cause why? to fulfill a stereotype? an image someone else has in mind that he has no relation to?

I should obviously not post here when I'm tired, but I think I need a general break from this place. so much hot air, so little real creativity.

next waywt please.

edit: thanks sombreresplendence. I agree. obviously. just like Ann would agree.

Comment

• Magician
      • Jul 2008

Sombre you're trying to be cheeky, but basically, yes. Bold, theatrical clothes require bold and theatrical comportment.

Rick Owens, and indeed most of the brands enjoyed here, don't stop at the neckline.

Rather surprised to see Heirloom's post, as he of all people should have an appreciation of aesthetic cohesion.
      Last edited by Magician; 04-23-2010, 07:51 PM.
      Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Magician
        • Jul 2008

I always hate when people talk shit (though cheeky as I was I meant it constructively) without posting pictures, so here is an admittedly so-so one of me:

Alexander McQueen
        Barney's House Brand x 2
        H&M
        Fiorentini & Baker

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

Heirloom, I agree with you. But I don't know if I attribute this to lack of real creativity as much as people just liking to gang up on Fark, as uncalled for as it is. If you feel you need a break from SZ, that may be a good thing for you, but please don't stay away for too long. Things will be less interesting without you.

Originally posted by Magician View Post
          ^^ I know you're trying to be cheeky, but basically, yes. Bold, theatrical clothes require bold and theatrical comportment.

Rick Owens, and indeed most of the brands enjoyed here, don't stop at the neckline.
          It's interesting you should say this, as I don't imagine most of the consistent WAYWT posters to be theatrical. I can imagine them having strong personalities, but theatrical doesn't come to mind. (I'll reiterate that I could very well be off the mark, as images are not accurate representations of people, so I'm speaking about what I've noticed based on their pictures and posts.)

Also, you're correct that these brands don't stop at the neckline, but their continuity to the head is not physical, but rather philosophical. I don't know whether or not Fark sees eye to eye with Rick Owens or the other designers popular here, but I do know he has been making an effort, and to overlook that because you think he looks nerdy or too clean is superficial, I'm afraid.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Originally posted by Magician View Post
            ^^ I know you're trying to be cheeky, but basically, yes. Bold, theatrical clothes require bold and theatrical comportment.

Rather surprised to see Heirloom's post, as he of all people should have an appreciation of aesthetic cohesion and theatricality

I've just been weathering what I find beautiful, as I apply the things I find beautiful on myself! I don't expect to plant my opinion on anyone else, hence why I almost never comment in this thread.

true, rick owens doesn't stop at the neckline, he's designed beanies and caps too.

I obviously like contrentrated and followed through imagery, but I NEVER try to force my body to something it isn't. I am NEVER uncomfortable.

bold and theatrical clothes demand someone who loves them. That's all it takes to carry a garment. I don't accept when people talk down on other peoples appearance. Claiming someones looks is inadequate to the clothes that person is wearing is like saying the clothes come before the person. that the person is on second place. I really don't agree, and I feel silly to even have to defend a point like this.

You ( not just you) are not to question how he feels about what he is wearing. You may have your opinion on how it looks, but that will always be in relation to your perception of things, even if detatched from your own taste. remember this is only pictures, and you only do assumptions. I'm only on the defense now as so many people in a row commented negatively without realising the unproportional buildup of negative response he got. I'm not defending the fit, I'm defending the person.

I don't think that cardigan is particularly theatrical though. in comparison to other things that thing is very quiet and elegant, muted and soft.

Comment

I always hate when people talk shit (though cheeky as I was I meant it constructively) without posting pictures, so here is an admittedly so-so one of me:

Alexander McQueen
              Barney's House Brand x 2
              H&M
              Fiorentini & Baker

your face doesn't match your pants. :) please change face and you'll look awesome.

Comment

• Magician
                • Jul 2008

If you actually read my post you would notice i only mentioned things that are changeable like haircut and glasses. I never mentioned his apparent comfort level or anything else.

Not only did I not say his inherent characteristics were unsuited to the clothes I did the EXACT OPPOSITE and said his body seems well suited to the clothing.

Comment

• Bring The Noise
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Magician View Post
                  Its cuz from the neck up Fark looks like he should be wearing a tommy hilfiger warmup jacket. No hate, I am a dorky looking dude myself.

If you want to wear avant clothes you can't have neatly trimmed short hair and glasses that make you look like an engineering major at a mid tier state university.

That being said the proportion and styling is well done and suited to his body type.

Comment

• Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                    Heirloom, I agree with you. But I don't know if I attribute this to lack of real creativity as much as people just liking to gang up on Fark, as uncalled for as it is. If you feel you need a break from SZ, that may be a good thing for you, but please don't stay away for too long. Things will be less interesting without you.
                    I came here for information about the designers I like, and I found a whole new way of consuming fashion. A much more thought through, passionate and sustainable way if I may say so. However, a few things leave a bad aftertaste, and the notion of "good taste" and the art of "styling" (which in here has a very narrow definition) is quite overrated. Then the few comments like these, which I read everyday makes me question what people in here value; if it is personalities, stories and ideas or if it is the projection of their own.

What I should spend time on is obviously not on a forum. I will keep coming here for research values, but the discussions held in threads like these are completely irrelevant and superficial in my opinion, and in the future I will completely skip this.

With this said, I don't want to be rude to those who contribute with open hearts and minds to this place and are curious of learning more about other people instead of dictating how they should be. we already have one tom ford. There are nice people here. And this is certainly a good place, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

So, the bottom line is; try to learn abit about someone before passing judgement on them. You may not understand them at first, but the long time pattern might reveil a way of thinking you didn't know.
                    I said what I had to say, once and for all, and hope noone is upset. It's just an opinion. I felt like I had to say it once to not nag this place to pieces.

Comment

If you actually read my post you would notice i only mentioned things that are changeable like haircut and glasses. I never mentioned his apparent comfort level or anything else.

Not only did I not say his inherent characteristics were unsuited to the clothes I did the EXACT OPPOSITE and said his body seems well suited to the clothing.
                      true. sorry about that. to be fair, I can't see your face in the picture. I tried to clarify that my rant is not all aimed at you alone, but at a general tendency.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Heirloom, I hope you are not implicitly aiming this at me, because I know you have this tendency.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deleuze
                          • Jul 2007

I think some of the judgement is just misplaced. This thread isn't here to simply display garments as other threads like recent purchases or favorite materials or exclusive club threads would be more suited for that. Nor is it just a matter of taking a pic in front of the mirror, a description of what you're wearing would suffice as surely the imagination would add more than a lifeless photo. What is judged are the elements that can't be captured in a bedroom dressform display or a terse text description. It's not so much about the face, the pose, the styling, but the relation of these elements to the frame, the setting, the mood. If it isn't these elements being judged than I don't really see a point to the thread. Fark's photos come off contrived, not in a Lachapelle overly hieratic way but in a "Fashion Photography 101: F-Stop and Maudlinism" sort of way. This novice approach combined with a very mechanical technique just doesn't jive with what is being photographed, and that's maybe the source of the Tommy Hilfiger/Gap comments. This is not to say in any way that Fark doesn't look good in Rick or isn't right for Rick, only that if one was to put together a Rick editorial, these photos would end up on the cutting room floor.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

This thread sucks and has gotten more vicious in the past few months. Whatever happened to the prevalent "Don't like it, don't say anything or offer constructive criticism" SZ etiquette? I don't even know why I look here anymore. Magician, your comment was simply dumb. Not to mention the one above...

FtB's was the only comment that had any value - what he was trying to say, if I am not mistaken, is that the fits work best where there exists a connection between the personality and the wearer.

Fark, I hope you don't get offended by these idiots. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do about your appearance.

And, lowkey, who the fuck are you, mr 10 posts, to comment on anyone's appearance?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by deleuze View Post
                              What is judged are the elements that can't be captured in a bedroom dressform display or a terse text description. It's not so much about the face, the pose, the styling, but the relation of these elements to the frame, the setting, the mood. If it isn't these elements being judged than I don't really see a point to the thread...if one was to put together a Rick editorial, [Fark's] photos would end up on the cutting room floor.
                              I thought the thread was just about sharing what you're wearing on a particular day. Setting and mood only enter it if you're trying to put together an editorial, or create an image of yourself. As far as I know the people who post here are not trying to put editorials together. I shouldn't speak on the latter, but I don't imagine people post here to cultivate false perceptions of themselves.
                              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Heirloom, I hope you are not implicitly aiming this at me, because I know you have this tendency.
                                Don't worry, It's not aimed at anyone in particular. Can't really keep track of everyone in here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎