X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gavagai
    • May 2010

Originally posted by Eternal
    I was thinking more along the lines of Shaun White with his style lately, and that hair going on.

This is a fantastic outfit. Jacket/trousers are greatly accentuated by the old world feel of those guidis. Perfect. I have work to do...

Comment

• shah
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Synthese
      hi shah
      oh ! well hello, isn't it quite a lovely day for a horrible cam shot

80% cotton 20% steel i need a sword now

extras

please excuse my bugs bunny tail

Comment

• jogu
        • Jun 2009

eternal that is mad nice , very very nice . id been thinkin bout gettin that blazer for a long time but wasnt sure bout the longer length but im rly liking the length here alot

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

It is amazing how critical people can be about things they do not really know that much about. I think Plokhov's work at Versace has been very impressive, and part of that is because he designed very good-looking clothes that were devoid of the stereotypical Versace glamour. I actually hate older Versace collections, and I strongly recommend that the posters who are overly critical should take a look at the collections to see for themselves - i think you'll realise it's not just crap (or you can add me to your ignore list... )

As far as the quality of my boots is concerned (the only Versace piece I own), I have to say that my cobbler was very impressed by them, and exclaimed that their construction was very good - although I didn't buy them for that.
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

eternal i love it. usually i'm not a fan of those trousers but here i can't imagine a better compliment to the blazer. good work my man!
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chilton0326
              Zam, to be fair to your original post, you basically were just saying that you wouldn't buy Versace, and added the qualifier, "regardless of how good the product is within itself".

I don't have a contending issue with this, or with a person who has personal reasons that prevent them from buying any brand, or playing Wagner, or watching a Leni Riefenstahl movie, etc.

From a critical standpoint, though, I just think there's a tendency to read things into a Kanye West song, or a Louis-Ferdinand Celine book, etc, that aren't always there.

I think people are unfair to the Versace brand if they see a black suit and believe it's a pink suit (based on their memory of the brand). I think it's false to also assume that people who work for companies necessarily buy into the philosophies -- or if they do, that the philosophies, however corrupt or pure, somehow permeate their way into the clothes. (If anything, a brand's philosophy shows up most in the price tags that accompany the clothes.)

I additionally think it's false to assume that any brand whose main goal is to make money won't on occasion hit the jackpot. They do, after all, hire talented people who try their best.

Anyway, if I'm on people's "ignore" list too, I'm in good company.

And I really like Eternal's suit too.

As purely object, they do make nice clothes, they provide Jobs for people to make a living and to feed thier families and i can respect that, but I don't buy clothes for those things............

truth be told, there are companies that make better quality T-shirts than some of the ones we buy for 10 times the price...........but there is a motivation for buying the things we buy, and quality isn't my only consideration.
              it is not the idea of things permeating their way into the clothes, I am not that superstitious.............."nothing from outside of a man can defile him"
              It is the idea that by buying and supporting companies that project an image that I philosophically disagree with is a significant consideration in my purchases.........it doesnt mean that i cannot like something, or say that it looks good, but there is a difference between acknowledging that, and then making a purchase......

Also, I have no "ignore' list, and even if i did, you know you wouldn't be on it
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                It is amazing how critical people can be about things they do not really know that much about. I think Plokhov's work at Versace has been very impressive, and part of that is because he designed very good-looking clothes that were devoid of the stereotypical Versace glamour. I actually hate older Versace collections, and I strongly recommend that the posters who are overly critical should take a look at the collections to see for themselves - i think you'll realise it's not just crap (or you can add me to your ignore list... )

As far as the quality of my boots is concerned (the only Versace piece I own), I have to say that my cobbler was very impressed by them, and exclaimed that their construction was very good - although I didn't buy them for that.
                I don't know if this is directed at me, but I can tell you that i know more about fashion than you do, or if I may , more than many members of the forum, it is no disrespect to them nor am I flaunting any knowledge but, I spent two years working in the library of my fashion college, and I read almost every biography of every famous designer there is, We had a subscription to almost every major fashion publication there was and i read them all ..........I knew versace when it was design by Gianni himself, but that's not gonna make me like it. I am not talking about the quality of the clothing. I am taking about what the brand represents...........the image it projects......
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Ochre
                  • Sep 2009

Eternal: that fit is seriously masterful. It's casual but still feels very sophisticated at the same time? Everything works perfectly together.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Eternal
                    I was thinking more along the lines of Shaun White with his style lately, and that hair going on.

Game over. P, this is what makes you the bomb. The strange length of the blazer is like an unapologetic middle finger to whoever might raise an eyebrow at the drop of your crotch.
                    Originally posted by philip nod
                    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2008

I find the drop of the crotch and the length of the blazer to be too much for my taste. Individually I like both pieces, but worn together you look like some sort of optical illusion.

Some people really enjoy the extreme plays on proportion as witnessed in this fit, but I don't.

Any I'm saying this because I know eternal is more than open minded enough to accept critiques.

edit: and this for a bit of levity.

Comment

• beardown
                        rekoner
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
                        I find the drop of the crotch and the length of the blazer to be too much for my taste. Individually I like both pieces, but worn together you look like some sort of optical illusion.

Some people really enjoy the extreme plays on proportion as witnessed in this fit, but I don't.

Any I'm saying this because I know eternal is more than open minded enough to accept critiques.

edit: and this for a bit of levity.
                        I agree.

Sometimes it feels like people have exaggerated proportions so much, they look like they're playing dress-up in someone else's clothes. This isn't a dig at Eternal personally but the fit looks off to me in a situation where fit would really be the determining factor in whether or not it looks frumpy and unkempt or just slightly askew.

But I'm a fan of subtlety rather than the sledgehammer effect. It works in a more theatrical kind of way if that's the purpose but reminds me of something a character might wear in a Beckett play.

If fit isn't a consideration, then what separates style from fashion?

Again, I'm not going off on eternal...I think my reaction is more as a reaction to other reactions. As someone mentioned, (re: atelier) it looks like an outfit assembled in a high-end fashion store. Just a little lifeless and impersonal, maybe?
                        Originally posted by mizzar
                        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

I don't know, I like that maybe you might try to step back a bit from such an insane drop crotch, maybe try to tone it down, but the length of the blazer makes it just that much more intensely destabilizing. I think that with pants like those, the threshold has been crossed. There is no subtlety when it appears as though your scrotum is a pendulum knocking knee to knee as you walk.
                          Originally posted by philip nod
                          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                            Just a little lifeless and impersonal, maybe?
                            I don't think so...

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                            I don't know, I like that maybe you might try to step back a bit from such an insane drop crotch, maybe try to tone it down, but the length of the blazer makes it just that much more intensely destabilizing. I think that with pants like those, the threshold has been crossed. There is no subtlety when it appears as though your scrotum is a pendulum knocking knee to knee as you walk.
                            I actually think it looks pretty subtle - with the long blazer the visual impact of the drop crotch becomes far less dramatic as the whole waistline is being pulled downwards
                            http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Ochre
                              • Sep 2009

Interesting points raised by IoH and beardown which are definitely valid interpretations and criticisms.

I agree with gene and think this look is actually kinda subtle. The all black is the restraint this outfit needs to pull off such an exaggerated silhouette. If Eternal began messing with color somewhere in there I'd probably be more skeptical.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                                • Mar 2009

^ I middle east approve of this fit.

Sometimes I am under the vague impression that some people here only feel comfortable with a high-end version of rock/punk gear : slim fits, blacks, browns and grays, and so on - or with its skatecore version : cropped pants and combats/high-tops.

Simply put, what looks acceptable and authentic(didn't write that word) to them just looks like what they were wearing as teenagers - or what their ideal self would have worn at that time ; but in a grown-up, refined manner - no more print tees, shades of gray instead -, marked by the importance given to construction, materials and the exactitude of fit. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think that style should be limited to such a safe and somewhat conservative interpretation - nor do I see understatement as its perfect synonym.

As for the fit, coming from an obsessive WAYWT poster the following might sound strange but : clothes are not meant to be photographed, originally they're meant to be worn. And my guess is that lots of garment that look perfect in lookbooks - thanks to their anatomical cut and all - lose a good part of their interest when seen in motion. Looking like slim stuff, that is.
                                A dropcrotch, when standing, is just painful to watch, and if Eternal was a log and not a man I would certainly ask for that log to be dressed in a more flattering way. But I certainly won't allow myself to judge the fit of those garments on the faith of one picture taken from a bad angle.
                                I am in fact quite sure that when walking, or simply moving, this outfit is an elegant one, and offering - when seen in the context of a rather formal event - a vision not much more ridiculous than the one of a wealthy man in his late thirties dressed like Mad Max's legal advisor or something.

Edit : more drop-crotch extravaganza.

Last edited by Mail-Moth; 04-13-2011, 04:29 AM.
                                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎