• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Hedi Slimane launches a skincare line for Dior Homme

Oh, boy, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse at DH, BAM!!! Has anyone seen this?

From NYTimes

The men’s wear designer Hedi Slimane has just unveiled a new line of
    skin treatments for men that would be the making of many a downtown
    central business district. The hapless planners of ground zero may want
    to snap up reproduction rights before Slimane’s designs get duped for
    some spanking-new city in western China. The new line, for Dior Homme,
    is called Dermo System but may as well be christened Male Vanity
    Makeover Plaza, for its sleek high-design packaging reflects the
    encouraging extent to which cosmetics have replaced architecture in the
    projection of the masculine psyche. Today’s forward-thinking man, it
    seems, would much rather have the inner plush that comes from youthful
    collagen. For these souls, Slimane’s Dermo System will be immensely
    more alluring than a sleek high rise with a glass skin. Designed to
    reverse the effects of time on the urban epidermis, the quartet of
    products promises to enhance the visage that stares back at us from
    every reflective surface in town

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/magazine/03beauty.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • rach2jlc
    • Sep 2006

Re: Hedi Slimane launches a skincare line for Dior Homme

Ugh, you're right, Faust. There will probably be a bottle shaped like a bee, or with a bee print somewhere. Gross; Dior has really taken this whole "lifestyle brand" too far. I find it especially ironic that as they've striven to create such a "lifestyle" the original target consumer who bought during Red, Solitaire, etc. has long since moved on. That consumer has been replaced by bitchy teenagers who couldn't care less as long as it says "Dior" because that will make everybody at their highschool think they are nifty. Just check out the Dior msn webgroup, for example: in the old days, it was an amazing place for discussion about fashion and an interesting alternative to tfs and such.Now, it is just a bunch of kids asking for sales, sizing help (19cm? 21cm? What's the difference!!), and being unbelievablybitchy (this is no fault of Winston, the mod, btw... he's always done a good job but I'm sure he's seen the changing dynamic as well). As for me, I haven't bought Dior since Luster and I've not visited over to that forum in nearly a year.

Back on topic... I'm a loyal Shiseido man, myself. Hedi can keep his stuff; the Shiseido "Men" collection is really top-notch and not absurdly overpriced.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Ugh, you're right, Faust. There will
      probably be a bottle shaped like a bee, or with a bee print
      somewhere. Gross; Dior has really taken this whole "lifestyle
      brand" too far. I find it especially ironic that as they've
      striven to create such a "lifestyle" the original target consumer who
      bought during Red, Solitaire, etc. has long since moved on. That
      consumer has been replaced by bitchy teenagers who couldn't care less
      as long as it says "Dior" because that will make everybody at their
      highschool think they are nifty. Just check out the Dior msn webgroup,
      for example: in the old days, it was an amazing place for discussion
      about fashion and an interesting alternative to tfs and such.Now,
      it is just a bunch of kids asking for sales, sizing help (19cm? 21cm?
      What's the difference!!), and being unbelievablybitchy (this is
      no fault of Winston, the mod, btw... he's always done a good job but
      I'm sure he's seen the changing dynamic as well). As for me, I haven't
      bought Dior since Luster and I've not visited over to that forum in
      nearly a year.

Back on topic... I'm a loyal Shiseido man,
      myself. Hedi can keep his stuff; the Shiseido "Men" collection is
      really top-notch and not absurdly overpriced.

[/quote]

Yea, I'm sticking with Kiehl's [:)]
      I talked to Winston about it, and he expressed his frustration with the
      group. It's his baby, and it's hard to see it go in the direction
      you did not want.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• xcoldricex
        • Sep 2006

wow. i never got to smell his cologne, but i haven't heard anything good about it really

Comment

• rach2jlc
          • Sep 2006

The fragrances aren't bad, but again they're nothing to bother wasting $150 on a bottle. Hedi acted like they were unbelievable and new, but really, there are other fragrances similar that do those particular notes better. I quite liked the cologne blanche for a while, but that was only because I received it as a gift. If I were buying for myself, there are many wonderful fragrances that are better done for less. I do think that "eau noire" was an interesting choice, just because it is very different from most of the fresh, laundry-detergent-esque scents so popular today (those run of the mill Issey, Jil Sander Man, Bulgari, etc.) .Eau Noireis dark, smoky, leathery, like the fragrances being put out back in the 20's and 30's (especially Knize Ten, which is one of my all-time favorites).

Faust, I know that Winston must be really disappointed with the direction of his forum.He spent a lot of time putting together a unique grouping and really doing a good job keeping things organized/focused (at its peak there were about fifteen or twenty members who REALLY knew their stuff, including Jost, Kit ((rip)), Olivier, etc etc).I could see his frustration even back a year ago or so ago, just before I stopped going there. He tried to be accomodating to new members(even making an entirely separate forum area for "sizing questions"... again all of which were about the hem width) but still it didn't help much.They just weren't interested in discussion/sharing... they only wanted favors, help, or discounts on clothes. Not to mention that many (perhaps 90%) of the new posters were also not native English speakers, so in addition to bitchiness there was an almost constant stream of indecipherability.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

People, good news!!! There is now a Dior Homme cigarette holder available, and a portable ashtray that looks like a pendant on a string! Yes, you can now put out your cigarette into your necklace while partying at Misshapes!! Check it out in the current Surface mag.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Ugh, you're right, Faust. There will
              probably be a bottle shaped like a bee, or with a bee print somewhere.
              Gross; Dior has really taken this whole "lifestyle brand" too far. I
              find it especially ironic that as they've striven to create such a
              "lifestyle" the original target consumer who bought during Red,
              Solitaire, etc. has long since moved on. That consumer has been
              replaced by bitchy teenagers who couldn't care less as long as it says
              "Dior" because that will make everybody at their highschool think they
              are nifty.

Back
              on topic... I'm a loyal Shiseido man, myself. Hedi can keep his stuff;
              the Shiseido "Men" collection is really top-notch and not absurdly
              overpriced. [/quote]

While I share the dismay in seeing DH take this road, I like to see it from another perspective. Those that unquestioningly buy this 'Dermo System' would be those that are buying into the image projected by their marketing and the brand name. So let it be... And for those that appreciate DH for what it 'was' will simply not buy into it, or more likely as you said, rach2jlc, have long moved on already.

I agree, it's sad and almost repulsive to see this happen to a notable menswear label, but what I mean is, I'd rather sit back and quietly laugh at people buying, to take it to the extreme, say, $200 DH 'bee' ice trays, than to feel bad about it... Just my 2 cents.

Coincidentally I also happen to be a Shiseido Men user! Great no-nonsense products that work for me. My only complaint would have to be that it doesn't have built-in UV protection.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                • Sep 2006

Yeah, I definitely see your point and think you are right about that. I guess, for me, there is still some latent hostility, since I was one of those who was in love during Red, Solitaire, etc. Now, hearing people rave about Dior just makes me roll my eyes.

So, like you said, leave those others with their bee-ice trays.

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Ashtrays are for amateurs, I don't respect a brand (or a person for that matter)until they have their own cigarettes being sold somewhere in Asia. I'm thinking YSL and Alain Delon, probably Pierre Cardin too.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• mass
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]Ashtrays are for amateurs, I don't respect a brand (or a person for that matter)until they have their own cigarettes being sold somewhere in Asia. I'm thinking YSL and Alain Delon, probably Pierre Cardin too.[/quote]

for some reason, even though i always knew these existed, i was really suprised to find out peter jackson had his own cigarette brand. i can definitely picture dior homme cigarettes though, which would just be virginia slims in disguise.

Comment

• xcoldricex
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]People, good news!!! There is now a Dior Homme cigarette holder available, and a portable ashtray that looks like a pendant on a string! Yes, you can now put out your cigarette into your necklace while partying at Misshapes!! Check it out in the current Surface mag.
                      [/quote]

ahhh! where can i get it?! if its under $300 i refuse to buy it! :)

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"]

[quote user="Faust"]People, good news!!! There is now a Dior Homme cigarette holder available, and a portable ashtray that looks like a pendant on a string! Yes, you can now put out your cigarette into your necklace while partying at Misshapes!! Check it out in the current Surface mag.
                        [/quote]

ahhh! where can i get it?! if its under $300 i refuse to buy it! :)

[/quote]

Would I ever suggest buying something under $300 to you, I mean c'mon I stopped eating because they didn't want to sell me $300 steaks (and to fit in a size 23 dior to outslim all the other 15y/o who weremisfits 1 year ago and have now invested all theirfragile ego into DH). Now al I'm waiting for is dior gold toothpicks and my life will be complete NO WAIT!! I need to get a bee tattoo from the dior tattoo parlor.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎