Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

We have to continue this Universe!

I will have scans posting up soon. In the mean time please keep this Universe rolling. [Y]

Default Re: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

I am digging through my magazines and here are what I found.

CDG Kyoto Store - scanned from Burtus Casa Magazine (Nov. 2002)

This
    issue talks about Architecture and Fashion. They did a really
    cool series of photo to show the store front...and some interior shots.

First one shot at 06:25

[img][/img]

Second one shot at 13:05

[img][/img]

Third one shot at 18:30

<>[img][/img]

Hey....get in line! Don't cut me off! [8o|][:D]

Interior shots

[img][/img]

Counter shot

I guess those are like wallpaper? It said
    that they are done by a NY photographer (don't know how to translate
    her name) and they are photos of refrgirator/freezer or some
    sort...Theme is "science and human/earth" (sorry if I my translation is
    not correct)

<>I wonder if it still look the same...it's in 2002

<>

[img][/img]

/\ That's funky!

The CDG store in New York. Straight out of The Space Odyssey 2001!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

My husband snapped this image two Christmas' ago.

/\ [Y] that's so cool!!! I totally missed that.

Sorry, Bickwheat for cutting in line [:P]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

ah i didn't stop by the cdg store in kyoto :( i regret it now! thanks for the pictures.

Nice images, Faust and Buckwheat. The different shots throughout the day are great.

I am kicking myself for not visiting CdG Kyoto while I was there now. The main CdG flagship in Tokyo Aoyama seems really ordinary compared to it!

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

You are welcome all.

Astrid - yeahI remember that chirstmas baby. That was the year people were crazy about that gold CDG baby t-shirt.

I still have some CDG stuff that need to be scanned. Hopefully this weekend.

Source: NYTimes (if I recall correctly)

from http://www.hypebeast.com/2006/10/com...re/#more-14844

Comme des Garcons has just opened their new “Play Box” store outside their usual Comme des Garcons store in Aoyama, Japan. This Play Box store will be opened for only one month and will sell special items including this Comme des Garcons black heart polo shirt.

This is really a "box":-))

Interesting box. nqth.

Some old photos from Tricot collection I scanned. Can't remember if it's 2004 or 2005.

Really nice pictures buckwheat, thanks.

Incidentally, the Glasgow Guerilla store has "dissappeared", after much less than a full year.Doesn't surprise me since (1)(and first and foremost) it was in Scotland (2) the people running it didn't have the first idea about comme des garcons (3) even for a guerilla store it really was in the most ridiculous location for a shop everin the history of the world (of retailing)

Thanks for the scan, buckwheat. Really like the last white knit.

Nice link btw nqth, it really is just a box outside the flagship! I can imagine it would stand out a lot on that road. Quite interesting.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

[quote user="Johnny"]

Incidentally, the Glasgow Guerilla store has "dissappeared", after much less than a full year.Doesn't surprise me since (1)(and first and foremost) it was in Scotland (2) the people running it didn't have the first idea about comme des garcons (3) even for a guerilla store it really was in the most ridiculous location for a shop everin the history of the world (of retailing)

[/quote]

That sucks. Was it all Play and CDG shirt?

Buckwheat, many thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate this kind of contribution.[B]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

[quote user="Johnny"]

[/quote]

How could the people have no idea about CDG and running the store? How does the Guerilla system work? That seems strange....

An interview with Adrian Joffe.http://wallpaper.com

Have the first two and half years at Dover Street Market gone according to plan or have you updated and adapted things as you?ve gone along?
    Our plan in fact was to continually change and update the store. From the very beginning we wanted something alive that could lend itself well to changes and evolution.

Tell us a little about the changes you?ve undertaken to the store?
    There have been countless changes: the basement has already gone through three incarnations, new concessions have been added, furniture has been completely changed, wall constructed and taken away, new backdrops painted. It?s hard to talk ?a little? about the changes we?ve done here!

How have the labels you stock alongside Comme de Garcons changed, or developed?
    They?ve been added to extensively. We keep trying to make more space for more people.

Are the portakabins still there?
    Most certainly.

A lot of people have commented on the film-set feel to Howell?s interior- was this intentional?
    Absolutely. We decided not to work with architects, but with film and stage set designers, of which Michael Howells is our favourite. We wanted to see the backside of the backdrop as well.

What we love particularly about DSM is the very effortless, non-aggressive anti-corporate feel to the space- so at odds with every other retail space within a square mile- is this something you?ve consciously cultivated?
    This is indeed what we wanted, an ever-changing interaction of creative ideas and diverse visions coming together in the context of a market place, without taking any notice of rules, regulations and market forces. However, we also always wanted to remain, at heart, just a shop that sells nice things in a cool atmosphere ? not an exhibition place, not a gallery, not a museum and certainly not a place where fashion met art.

How do the clientele of DSM differ to those of your other flagships? It seems to have become a fashion tourist attraction in its own right.
    The clientele is certainly much wider than in our Paris and New York stores, perhaps given there?s just so much choice. And yes it does appear we?ve become something of a tourist attraction too, which is fine.

Could DSM have worked in Paris or New York, do you think?
    No, I don?t think so. DSM for us remains very much anchored in the spirit and energy of London, from which it drew its inspiration. In another city it would inevitably have to be something different. And in any case, we never do the same shop twice since it?s important for us that each of our shops has a connection with its location, no matter how abstract.

Your guerrilla concept stores have been immensely popular all over the world. Where did your inspiration come from and how do they work alongside your permanent flagships in London, Paris and New York?
    The guerrilla concept was born out of the starting-up energy from East Berlin, where kids would take a tiny space for a hundred dollars a month, and just do their own thing. We?ve now opened and closed 29 guerrilla stores, all completely different, all with very different people, who don?t work in the fashion business as such. We?ve not yet considered a guerrilla store in London, Paris or New York as the main idea is to break new grounds in markets not yet developed. But as a concept, guerrilla stores sit nicely with DSM and everything else we do, as everything essentially adheres to our core sense of values.

And what of your future plans?
    We?re just opening a new guerrilla store in Beirut, and looking forward to some Comme de Garcons flagship stores in China coming up soon.