Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

wonderful pic interest1, takes me back to my college years when I'd hit up NY for thanksgiving break now and then and walk through stores of clothes I either couldn't afford or could buy cheaper in Asia, but cherished the experience nonetheless. I remember that sight, the staff struck me as chillier and maybe less CdG than the gang at CdG Aoyama. There was a beautiful Asian girl who worked at Balenciaga nearby.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    /\ lol
    okay that made me lol too.

Adding my lol.

Also, I shamefully admit that when I went to the NY shop for the first time, I walked right by it and had to ask someone where it was.

Potentially dumb question - what's the difference between Homme and Homme Plus? I think Homme is Japan-only(?), but I'm not sure. I also read that someone else designs the Homme line.

homme is not japan only - it's sold certainly in DSM and Paris, not sure about NYC. IN fact Atelier used to carry it for a few seasons recently.
    Homme is, I think, designed by watanabe with some explicit direction or collaboration from Kawakubo. It is more simple than homme plus for sure; much less experimental, much less weird, much less themed. It's sort of like the classic idea of comme des garcons menswear, with updated shapes - i.e., largely speaking, less baggy. there are some really lovely suits and jackets in this season's collections

Many thanks to you both.

I had no idea Watanabe was designing that line as well. Can I assume quality is on par with H+?

ps - where does one find pics of Homme's collections?

CDG in NYC certainly has it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

How's the quality of Comme des Garcons BLACK compared to Homme Plus?

Quote Originally Posted by HWith View Post
    How's the quality of Comme des Garcons BLACK compared to Homme Plus?
    According to Mr. Faust it isn't great.

In general black is also way more 'basic,' lots of t-shirts in other words. The womens line has some pretty nice shirting that I saw recently (nice sheer paneling and funny details on the collars / cuffs). Fabrics definitely don't seem at the same level as mainline stuff but some pieces are nicer than others - they had a washed polyester (i think) jacket that was pretty nice in the nyc store.

havent seen a lot but quality wise seems like its more Play than H+.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Agreed, and given the "basics" nature of the line, in terms of both design and material, I was surprised at the higher price level of the pieces I saw at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Servo2000 View Post
    In general black is also way more 'basic,' lots of t-shirts in other words. The womens line has some pretty nice shirting that I saw recently (nice sheer paneling and funny details on the collars / cuffs). Fabrics definitely don't seem at the same level as mainline stuff but some pieces are nicer than others - they had a washed polyester (i think) jacket that was pretty nice in the nyc store.

Default Eye junya watanabe

Could anyone explain to me the differende between junya watanabe man and eye jnya watanabe?

eYe is a concept store Junya has in Japa, well, a bunch by now - it's mostly collabs and outdoor gear, I believe. MAN is the main line.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comme des Garçons editorial from Purple Magazine Issue#2 Winter 98/99

(sorry for the scanner weirdness)

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

thanks mbd. the rainbows are nice too.

Comme des Garçons in AMBER - 2011, originally in Vogue UK - 1988

large format at http://i54.tinypic.com/hsomcp.jpg

"I make clothes for a woman who is not swayed by what her husband thinks."

" les japonais jouent 'les miserables'
    ...ce miserabilisme n'est pas pour vous. ni ces rapiecages, ni ces hardes toutes neuves, ni ces etoffes nouees a la hate comme des guenilles. ni ce tout noir pour jours d'obseques. ni ce maquillage livide de femmes decomposees. un snobisme de la guenille qui laisse mal presager de l'avenir. "

from le figaro / march 18, 1983, for CdG F/W 83