Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

anyone have additional pics of the red is the new black collection? I've only heard of it, the magazine scan above is the first photo evidence I've seen

this blue dress above must be Junya Watanabe's

Junya Watanabe ss99. I didn't find the same item exactly, but here are a few gorgeous looks !

And finally, does someone know which collection does the item in this picture comes from ? The cut is so beautiful... Like paper cutting with scissors, so delicate, it's amazing

Quote Originally Posted by jostun View Post
    Could anyone explain to me the differende between junya watanabe man and eye jnya watanabe?
    BUT watch out for Junya Watanabe Man Pink, which is women's clothing based on popular designs and using techniques of men's tailoring.

Oh, so many concepts. It's must be either incredible fun or a nightmare working for Rei. (Ask Tao.)

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Quote Originally Posted by rilu View Post
    I thought posting photos of some great pieces would fit this thread. Since they are from past ebay offers and such, I don't have all the details needed for the garments archive. If anyone minds this kind of posts in this thread, let me know.
    i think this is a good idea! i have been saving some various pics from ebay and yahoo.jp but would feel awkward posting them in the archives because they're not mine, and i don't have all the info as you say.

lumina, that junya collection is just incredible, thanks for sharing

from the robe de chambre line:

Last edited by genevieveryoko; 01-18-2012 at 11:42 PM.

COMME des GARÇONS, 1975

a rare smile, 1980s
    sain't

cripes! thanks so much rilu, great find.

that makes my day. thank you so much!! i will have to save all of those images.

pretty shit interview with rei, but i liked her line about her job being "more often than not, hell". i've got something in common with her after all

http://www.dapperdanmagazine.com/115...lo-flaccavento

I don't think it's possible to do a good interview with Rei because of the language barrier and her reluctance to discuss her work in detail. If The New Yorker couldn't do it, no one can.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

i thought the interview she did with interview magazine a few years ago was really good, but it was also the first interview with her i'd ever read. now reading this new interview it sounds like she's giving the exact same responses, even though the questions are different. it seems there's only so much she's willing to say.

This is literally the first time I hear someone say they read a good interview in Interview.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

well, there are 'structured interviews' and 'unstructured ones', and they produce different material - one isn't better than the other. depends on purpose.

anyway, apologies if this has been posted earlier:

VIDEO
    Last edited by Shucks; 01-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I don't think it's possible to do a good interview with Rei because of the language barrier
    and her reluctance to discuss her work in detail. If The New Yorker couldn't do it, no one can.
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieveryoko View Post
    . . . now reading this new interview it sounds like she's giving the exact same responses, even though the questions are different. it seems there's only so much she's willing to say.

Well, at least she is a woman of her word:

–Rei Kawakubo

Her raison d'être, spelled out for us in black & white. Literally.
    You can't help but respect that.

Ai Weiwei + Rei Kawakubo.. Or, as it begs: Rei-n-Ai.

side note: The documentary AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY, on the artist's recent imprisonment
    by the Chinese govt., debuted at SunDance last weekend. (click title for preview)
    sain't

^not to imply that there's anything wrong with her being a woman of few words.

i was surprised she even agreed to do this new interview.

Quote Originally Posted by rilu View Post
    the problem with most interviews i see nowadays is that they are obviously not a conversation but questions sent per email and answers given to those questions. and that's not an interview, but a questioner. an interview requires a dialogue where new questions sometimes pop up on the fly, in view of the previously given answers. sure you can have a prepared set of questions, the general topic for the interview, but you need to be flexible to play with it and use it really just as a sketch. i've never studied media, and Faust will for sure be able to illuminate us more on this topic, but that's how I imagine an interview to be like, and that's what I see missing in most "interviews" i see online nowadays.
    Correct. I won't do an email interview unless someone twists my hand - it's just boring. And you can't recreate the time and place and the mood of the interviewee. And I love it that some designers won't do an email interview - it's a sign that they respect themselves. I mean, if you care about someone else's work, you don't fire off a few questions by email. I can understand if it's logistically hard, like going from NYC to Japan, but it's still better to do a phone interview.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Some vintage footage here, although Japanese and French speaker swill find the video more rewarding.

The Challenge of Rei Kawakubo from david cheung® on Vimeo.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

dude i just posted that about 20 cm above your post.

Sorry, missed it. It's better embedded :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Banned

wow, great video!!!