Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

Chinatown?

Hmmm, that's a good one.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Rikers Island is sorely lacking in retail coverage.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Going to sound like the stupid Englishman, but Coney Island is part of NYC right? CdG and Coney Island seem like a cool mix in my head.
    "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

LOL. Well, technically, yes.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Were these posted? From I-D.

Shalom in Comme.
    Life is a hiiighway

i hope rei is considering other places than manhattan..

would love to see a DSM at the Domino Sugar Factory.

Canal Street would be cool.

Seeing some of Junya's pieces from his SS 2012 collection reminded me that the use of elaborated embroidered lace textiles as a means to create dimension is one of the many tropes in which Junya pays respect to the master Rei.

From Junya Watanabe SS 2012

From CDG AW 1997
    Here the lace is used as the base material rather than as a the typical trim that lace is traditionally used for:

CDG SS 1998 Skirt with Embroidered Panel

CDG SS 1999 Pleated Skirt with Lace Panel and Muslin Panel

CDG is label I think is difficult to understand without looking at the entirety of its corpus.

Does anyone have photo editorials from the 90s? From the CDG Visionaire issue (I should have splurged for it when it came out. Still kicking myself about that...) Please post, and I'll continue with other examples of repeating tropes used in CDG.

MBD
    Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 08-31-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Default John Waters on Rei

REI KAWAKUBO is the Saint Teresa of fashion. I always imagined her locked in a self-imposed, deconstructed cell, like, massacring hemlines for her next season’s “no-dimensional” outfits that will be mocked, brilliantly reviewed, and worn by the brave.
    I wear Comme des Garçons the same way Andy Warhol once wore $100,000 women’s necklaces underneath his Brooks Brothers turtlenecks — to be fashionable in secret. Only you know you spent money when you wear Rei’s creations. In fact, some of the more fashion-impaired public actually feels sorry for us! “That’s a shame about that coat,” an uninformed friend said to me once in a bar in Baltimore when I was wearing, well high fashion. “John Waters in his thrift-shop finest,” the press has written when, in fact, I was featuring a brand-new Comme des Garçons suit! Rei Kawakubo gives us undercover glamour. We know how great her clothes look, but others just think we’re poor.
    Her look? Disaster at the dry cleaner. “I didn’t do it!” is the usual cry. Mine has learned to read the complicated and sometimes hilarious instruction labels with courage: “Do not dry clean; do not wash; garment may fray, fade, change shape.” These pants? One hundred percent polyester, wrinkled unable to be pressed. So comfortable, so unnatural, and so expensive. “Friction may cause the flocks to rub off or a slight fuzz may develop,” one label reads. Friction? What’s that mean? Walking?
    Rei Kawakubo’s work is never funny, but her wit is so ferocious, so elegant, so scary, and sometimes even so ridiculous that her customers never have buyer’s remorse. How could they feel they had overspent when they look so courageous, so cult-like, superior, and even slightly insane every time they get dressed in one of her outfits? Rei’s look can never go out of style because she is either starting a new one or ruining a trend that’s not even popular yet but is about to be so. In her own words, Rei commented: “I think the world and its values are often lukewarm. I’d like to keep on trying to make it hotter.” Well, she certainly has. Beyond “hotter,” if you ask me, into spontaneous combustion! She makes pretty ugly, ugly handsome, and handsome disorienting. Rei Kawakubo is my leader. She is for many of us too.
    John Waters, 2012 CFDA Fashion Awards speech, from this month’s HB

1983. Comme des Garçons on the right, the model on the left is wearing Jean-Charles de Castelbajac for Iceberg.

More Comme from 1983.

some images i was able to find from SS 1999:

if anyone has any more images (or garments) from this collection, please share

hi, sorry not 1999 but 1994, which i am curious if anyone has more to post. cindy sherman photographs. it turns out that i just bought 2 pieces from fall 1994 from a woman who was a press representative for CDG from 1995-1996 and also an intern during the summer of 1994. i need to pick her brain a bit and see if she can post more here to share her experiences.

also, this tumbler blog has some staggering images in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rider; 08-29-2012 at 07:39 AM.

more to comme

junya fw98.99

Rider - can you post your AW 1994 garments to the archive? I'm dying to see them...

CDG AW 1996

MBD

Comme des Garçons AW 1997

MBD

Comme des Garçons SS 1998

MBD