Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

Default Re: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

The funiture from Cracow also went to Isetan, whereComme is opening a "store" (it's a Corner store, perhaps).

It really comes as a surprise. But it is a good move imo:-)

Comme des Garçons builds niche perfume empire

Suzy Menkes

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/...e/FPERFUME.php

PARIS: She is a muse and fashion icon, with a wild nest of pale hair and a consummate skill for mixing vintage drapes with haute couture. He is a magical milliner of mad hats that have helped make the romantic reputation of John Galliano.

What do Daphne Guinness and Stephen Jones have in common - apart from their English eccentric style? They are both launching first fragrances under the auspices of Adrian Joffe, who heads up the company of his partner Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons and has developed for her a fragrance empire.

The idea of Joffe as the beauty industry's new prince of perfume sounds unlikely. But, as Joffe says, there is an increasing demand for niche marketing in this area where big does not always seem so beautiful.

"We're not Proctor & Gamble," says Joffe, who has nonetheless had a surprisingly large roster of successful launches.

The proof is in the steady development of Comme des Garçons fragrances since the early beginnings in 1993. When its Eau de Parfum was launched around the swimming pool at the Ritz, it seemed more like a medicinal congress than a beauty event, as bags of yellow liquid were the decoration of choice.

By 2002, Joffe's skill was recognized when he signed a partial deal with Puig, one of the most savvy European fragrance groups.

But Comme des Garçons Parfum has remained an individualist and a family affair.

Jones explains that he worked closely with Kawakubo herself on his concept, saying "she's not a perfume person," but that "she is a very good editor."

"It is something I always wanted to do," says Jones. "I was thinking about a fragrance for ages, but I didn't know who to do it with. I am trying to make something original that is familiar and user-friendly."

So what will be the essence of his new perfume that will be launched next summer?

"It's about hats - about ephemera, an illusion of beauty and transience," says Jones, who worked with Comme des Garçons' perfumer Christian Astuguevieille on the juice.

While Kawakubo has always been labeled an iconoclast, Joffe has broken the mold in a more nuanced way. The Dover Street Market, set up as a London multi-brand store, was dismissed as an aberration in the era of brand retail flagships. But now, with its mix of cool and traditional fashion and accessories - not least from Comme des Garçons' own labels, the store is looking increasingly visionary.

So can quirky individuals with a strong vision and point of view really crack the fragrance market? The Japanese designer Jun Takahashi, the creator behind the cool Undercover label, has already signed up with Comme des Garçons - as has Monocle magazine. The financial side is also moving ahead, with wholesale figures up 32 percent to $3.5 million for year end to May 2007 and profits rising by 50 percent. (This is apart from royalties from the Puig license.)

The new phase of development will see Comme des Garçons managing its independent names and paying them a royalty. "Our role is like a producer in a movie," says Joffe. "And like a producer, we have to be satisfied with the plot and the text."

At the new WarsawGuerrilla

I like the lights! Delirium. [Y] Thanks for posting.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

nice! Thanks nqth.

They still have those Junya x Moncler down jacket hanging around.

Yes, baby!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Figaro Japon

Photography by Sarah Moon

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Crash Magazine

Photography by Sarah Moon

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Nice pics! Thanks.

Rei kawakubo on Youtube. There are 6 parts of it. In Japanese. Not sure if people have seen them.

Very interesting to see collections from the 80s and RK in the video. Especially when she came out after the show and then wanted to hurry back to backstage. Almost like she was going to fight with the model :) and the always mushroom head and big sunglasses :)

I love the interior design on the guerilla stores as well as the facades on the permanent stores. Does anyone know who's behind them? I've always been a big fan of wonderwall (however ostentatious their stuff is) and would love to find out more names in the business.

Thank you so much for that link Buckwheat, I am watching it now!

Too bad I can only catch about half of the dialogue. It is really great to see some of the older collections. Rei looks she is a person with strong character.

And those are wonderful pictures, becoming-intense.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

you are welcome Avantster.

It's great to see footage of people working in the studio. Makes me wonder what it is like working for Rei Kawakubo. A boss who doesn't speak much :)

Rei will design a collection for H&M. It should be in store by mid-November 2008.

pathetic

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

^does that mean you won't camp out with me? [70]
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

[quote user="laika"]^does that mean you won't camp out with me? [70][/quote]

sorry [51] you know i love you, but you are on your own here.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

If you reconsider, I will bring you the best camp snacks you've ever had. [73]

Seriously, I can't say I'm shocked by this...the rumor has been flying around for awhile. Will be very curious to see what she comes up with.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

PARIS ?
    For its next designer collaboration, H&M is trying on something
    avant-garde for size and teaming up with Japanese fashion maverick Rei
    Kawakubo.

A
    one-time Comme des Garçons for H&M collection is slated to launch
    in early November as the Swedish fast-fashion giant opens its first
    stores in Japan: a 10,000-square-foot unit in Tokyo?s Ginza district
    and a 16,000-square-foot location in hyper-trendy Harajuku. An
    international rollout will follow.

Kawakubo
    ? acclaimed for a fearless, experimental approach to fashion ? will
    design H&M fashions for women, men and children, as well as
    accessories and a unisex fragrance.

H&M
    has sparked shopping frenzies for its annual designer collaborations
    with the likes of Roberto Cavalli, Stella McCartney, Viktor & Rolf
    and Karl Lagerfeld.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'm not sure how I feel about the H&M + CDG collaboration. CDG is special to me because even if there were random holes in my shirt, a sleeve hanging off my back, and half a dress falling out of my pants, all the clothes still felt really solid. It was as though everything they were was entirely purposeful. It seemed as though the fabric was made just for every piece. Perhaps in part because of that... they became special. That's what separates CDG from the hundreds of random street shops in Hong Kong selling skirts with tubes coming out of the back (though admittedly, I do have one of those). I'm not sure if H&M could capture that.

Also, does the CDG market really intersect with that of H&M's?

Faust, how do you feel about the entire "massclusivity" thing?

Ok, here is what I thought about when I said that this is pathetic. I am sick and tired of our culture being gripped by postmodern notions of wallowing in bad taste, of camp (with very few exceptions), of self-deprecating humor, of that irony-with-a-smirk, of rebellion-as-embracing-consumer culture, of that it's-so-bad-its-good, of mediocrity-as-the-norm, and Rei has been embodying all that in the past years. This collaboration only epitomizes that. "Look at me, I am doing the same as Madonna, but I am smart and artistic, so you KNOW I am doing it with the sense or irony, wink-wink." Don't make me puke, Rei. Oh, too late... Rei is the new Vivienne Westwood. You heard it here first.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine