• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

[quote user="Johnny"][quote user="Faust"]

And Johnny certainly said that - how else do you interpret his post that I just quoted?!

[/quote]

I don't really want to drag this topic up again, but since I feel that I'm being misrepresented and I've been away for a bit, I wanted just to respond to you on this, for whatever it's worth. Please explain to me how the ONLY interpretation that can be given to my saying that, because I like her work generally, I'd like to see what the collaboration looks like,is that I'm saying that everything she touches turns to gold.Serously, I'd like to hear that. It's apparent in what I said that I am not pre-juding what the product will look like (positively or negatively), and in fact that the opposite is the case - that I would like not to pre-judge, but to wait and see. I agree that it is likely to be rubbish, and as I thought you knew, I am as capable as anyone else of critisizing CdGwhen I think it's rubbish (all of the pictures you posted are of rubbish clothes, none of which I'd consider buying), but it seems natural to me to be interested in what the stuff will looklikeexactly becauseit will come from someonewhose work - her body of work and certain of her current work, butnot all of it- I have an interest in, as distinct from a collaboration with someone (V&R etc) whose mainlinework I have no interest in?This seems very uncontroversial and obvious. I also thought you knewme better, and perhaps had a little more respect for me, than to accuse me of fanboism.

[/quote]

I do think that you've pretty much always given her a pass. I know you have criticized her on rare occasions, but I still think that you are biased towards her work. I don't think it's really wrong, actually. We all have our favorites. I just don't see how this possibly can be good. What integrity on Rei's part can there be when H&M will make this stuff in the same sweatshops and from the same fabrics they use in their regular trash? We can wait and see what it looks like and not pre-judge - I just think it's an exercise in futility. Yes, neither of us has a crystal ball, but we have past experience and reasoning, no?

I also got upset because you equated Ann's recent change of production facilities to this. That was a cheap shot on your part. Anyway, I don't want to stir this debate up any longer. Let's sheathe our swords - I'd rather hear of your time in Tuscany.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I swear I didn't do this. [86]
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]I swear I didn't do this. [86]
        [/quote]

not that i have contributed to this thread, but i have read it. What?!? where did this come from?

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

OK, fess up, ..........talk! "whodunnit"?

[74]

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• what_counts
            • Mar 2008

I don't really read this thread but just though i'd throw in my 2 cents, I am honestly not a fan of cdg I kno she has been designing for a long time but from what i've seen the only on men.style I only took a small interest in fw 05 and select pieces from ss 06. I honestly don't know who buys her mainline clothes it seems all her money must come from the cdg diffusion lines

i'd be interested in seeing some of her older seasons, anyone have links?

Comment

• Piffen
              • Aug 2007

[quote user="what_counts"]

I don't really read this thread but just though i'd throw in my 2 cents, I am honestly not a fan of cdg I kno she has been designing for a long time but from what i've seen the only on men.style I only took a small interest in fw 05 and selectpiecesfrom ss 06. I honestlydon't know who buys her mainline clothes it seems all her money must come from the cdg diffusion lines

[/quote]

Not diffusion lines.. Perfume and other non-clothing related gear. ^^

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="what_counts"]

I don't really read this thread but just though i'd throw in my 2 cents, I am honestly not a fan of cdg I kno she has been designing for a long time but from what i've seen the only on men.style I only took a small interest in fw 05 and select pieces from ss 06. I honestly don't know who buys her mainline clothes it seems all her money must come from the cdg diffusion lines

[/quote]

There is an excellent 90's CDG thread on the Fashion Spot.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• what_counts
                  • Mar 2008

k thanks faust i'll head over to tfs tomorrow and check it out

Comment

• Avantster
                    ¤¤¤
                    • Sep 2006

Re: Looking Back...

In October, 1982, Kawakubo and Yamamoto held their second Paris pret-a-porter show. The style that debuted that year was colorless, rag-like, and full of holes, which promoted shabby clothing. Their collection created a new vocabulary in fashion: the "boro look", the "beggar look", and the "ragged look". The designs expresed a Japanese concept of beauty, the beauty of conscious destitution. Their collection shook up the concept of Western-style clothing, and threw the Parisian fashion world into controversy. The world was so shocked, because Japanese designers had proved that there was a possibility that clothes accepted worldwide could come from cultures other than that of Western Europe.

Comme des Garcons, 1983 S/S

Off white cotton jersey blouse with cotton ribbon applique, washed white patchwork dress of sheeting and rayon satin.

Yohji Yamamoto, 1983 S/S

White cotton cut-work jacket, dress and pants.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

Re: Looking Back...

High-tech fabric combined with a shape that resembles the crinoline style. The common belief that chemical means artifical is overturned, and the piece makes a soft and warm impression.

Comme des Garcons 1990 A/W 'Wedding Dress'

White non-woven fabric one piece dress with ribbon around hem; petticoat in same material.

An outfith that resembles the bustle, which was a nineteenth century undergarment that put emphasis on the back. Kawakubo is trying to express the dissonance between the body and the outfit

Comme des Garcons 1995 A/W

Baby-pink acrylic knit sweater; matching long skirt with embroidery; bustle-like tube sewn to back of skirt; tulle petticoat.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Bump. Looking for some iconic CDG images from the 80s/90s. Especially the "Hiroshima chic" ones. Please help! (Also check out the epic Faust/Laika CDG battle).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• howinpark
                          • Jan 2009

SS88

93/94

AW 84/85

91/92

90s

good stuff but can't find a compiliation though...

Comment

• Avantster
                            ¤¤¤
                            • Sep 2006

You've seen them before but here's some I posted a while back here Faust.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                              • Jan 2008

Maybe not what you're looking for Faust, but something for the thread ...

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...
                                X