X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tron
    • Dec 2010

Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing underdog.
    Oddly enough I saw one of those books from the 80s today in Nakano... unfortunately it was quite expensive (147,000y)
    "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ so awesome, thanks for posting!

Pretty sure these are shot by Deborah Turbeville.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

just read this in the nyt...i was wondering how they fared.
        has anyone been down there since? can just picture floating 1 dimensional wool felts coats, like boats with sails...
        While Lower Manhattan was widely impacted by the storm, a handful of stores were so seriously damaged that they are struggling to reopen. On West 22nd Street, the Balenciaga and Comme des Garçons stores, each beautifully designed, were badly flooded. Adrian Joffe, the husband and business partner of Rei Kawakubo, the Comme des Garçons designer, said that more than three feet of water had rushed into the store but that after some repairs, it would reopen on Thursday. Balenciaga, its store now unrecognizable, is looking for a temporary space, at least until its new SoHo store opens in the spring.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Peaked into the CdG Tuesday - they looked Ok. They said they'd reopen tomorrow.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Interview avec Rei:

i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Rei Kawakubo Teams Up With Hermès

By Alex Wynne

PARIS — Rei Kawakubo has a new collaboration up her sleeve, this time with French luxury brand Hermès. The Comme des Garçons designer has created two limited-edition collections of Hermès’ mythical silk “carré” scarves, dubbed Comme des Carrés.

“I have always had an immense respect for Hermès’ tradition and artisanal know-how,” Kawakubo stated.

“During this joint project, rather than being guided by the idea of the scarf as it is worn, I became interested instead in the beautiful ‘artworks’ that the designs on Hermès carrés represent, and I sought to change them by adding elements. By combining them with abstract images, we have transformed the carré and created a unique object,” she added.

The first collection, called “Noir et Blanc,” will be sold exclusively in Comme des Garçons stores in Tokyo’s Aoyama neighborhood, New York and Paris. It will feature five scarves with abstract black-and-white designs.

The second, “Couleur”, will be a line of six colorful scarves offered in Kawakubo’s Dover Street Market stores in London and Tokyo. The collection will be “hybrid,” Hermès stated, “rewriting the traditional narratives of the carré” and including geometric elements like giant patchwork, Vichy checks and shirt stripes.

Both collections will hit stores in early February, Hermès said. The scarves in the Noir et Blanc collection will be priced at around 380 euros, or $493 at current exchange, while those in the Couleur line will be positioned between 380 euros and 1,600 euros, or $2,076.

A pioneer in product and retail collaborations, Kawakubo has collaborated on fashions with Azzedine Alaïa, Louis Vuitton, Speedo, Paco Rabanne, Fred Perry, Stephen Jones, Moncler, H&M and Peggy Moffitt, the keeper of the design legacy of Rudi Gernreich.

She has also designed products using The Beatles name and logo, the cartoons of Matt Groening, and applied her prints to computer covers sold in Apple shops.

“I am always thinking that some interesting possibility, some accidental synergy could occur in a collaboration, and people seem to like it,” she told WWD in a recent interview.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• rider
                  eyes of the world
                  • Jun 2009

rare to read an interview with Junya...

The dreams of Junya Watanabe

V Magazine (Mar/Apr 2003)

There is a family portrait of the Surrealists, all lined up in their dark suits and ties, looking more like accountants than the provocateurs who would go on to turn the art world on its ear. It is not a stretch to imagine designer Junya Watanabe at home among this crowd. Clean-cut, boyish, and surprisingly conservative in his blue button-down shirt, khakis, and sneakers, there is absolutely nothing on the surface that points to the strange and wonderful world churning inside that imagination of his. His collections have offered glimpses. Over the years Junya has treated the fashion world to dresses in theform of huge honeycomb confections, handbags thattransform into coats, and this season, an 18th century silhouette that somehow parachuted its way into the 21st. Sitting down with the designer, you can’t helpbut feel that you are doing all the talking. He is man of few words, and apperas happier letting the clothes speakfor themselves. - Alix Browne
                  ALIX BROWNE: I’m interested in talking to you specifically about the Spring collection but also more generally about where you think it fits in right now with the current climate.
                  JUNYA WATANABE: In fact the general fashion ckimate is more your job than mine. I work hard to make my own collection so I don’t have a lot of time to assess what’s going on outside. I’d like to ask you more about that.
                  AB: I think right now, with what is going on in the world, with so much uncertainty on so many levels, people were really drawn to your collection. It was almost transcendent. Very spiritually uplifting, very light. A Marie Antoinette silhouette contructed from parachutes. Like an 18th century fantasy with a very soft landing into the 21st. What were you thinking at the time when you were designing the collection if not whatwas going on in the world outside?
                  JW: I do live in the world and see people and what they wear so it must come into my mind, what people like and what will fit in the world,even if it is only unconsciously. But the point with this collection was to find a new silhouette, a shape that is new to us. Specifically, it was using bags, or backpacks, to work them into the clothes to make the new shape. Until now we’ve been exploring new techniques and new ways of cutting patterns to make the new shapes, but this time on of the points was to use something that already existed - a bag - to make a shape that hasn’t existed before - at least not to us.
                  AB: Were you thinking of parachutes at all? Have you ever been sky diving?
                  JW: Haha, no.
                  AB: Did you do any research into 18th century dress? Or was this allusion merely a coincidence?
                  JW: I didn’t have any reference to the 18th century, it was just a result. We were playing around with the bags and in the end it became those shapes.
                  AB: Women at the time really did strap themselves into those elaborate underpinnings.
                  JW: The straps for me were parts of the bags, like the straps of backpacks. You can make them shorter or longer. So on the other hand, I researched a lot about bags, the backpacks that mountain climbers use. Those bags have little pockets here and there, adjustable straps; it’s very practical, utilitarian. I wanted to use this idea but without the bag. The dtraps make the clothes look as if a backpack had been there.
                  AB: Does the past, or does fashion history, interest you at all?
                  JW: Fashion history interests me, and I’ve studied it, of course. It’s in my head somewhere but I don’t directly bring it out in my collections.
                  AB: Some people think of fashion as a reflection of the times, others like to think that it’s more prophetic. In a way, people can look at your collection and say it has no connection to what is going on right now. Is fashion for you an escape?
                  JW: Hmmmm… It’s probably true somewhere that clothes might reflect on the world we live in, ut when I’m designing I don’t think about that a t all. If people look at the collection and feel uplifted or good, that is merely the result. I think part of it might have had to do with the space and the feeling of the show, the presentation. Not only the clothes, but also the space and the hair and the makeup - it all comes from how I’m feeling at that moment.
                  AB: So how are you feeling at this moment?
                  JW: Probably thinking about the next collection. Probably a lot of the other elements were inspired by the venue, the museum - the space and the feeling of the space. I was researching a lot of show spaces - I’m always thinking of course how I am going to present my clothes - and when I walked in I felt that there was something in common with what I do. I don’t want the clothes to look practical, or like everyday streetwear. I want to show the creative side. And when I walked into the museum it had a big impact on me, the fact that one person and his creativity were all packed in there. It was a big inspiration for me.
                  AB: So you found this space before you began working on the collection?
                  JW: Yes, it was before I started working on the collection. The sculptor whose work is in this museum, when he was making the sculptures he wasn’t thinkin what was going on in the world. The show was held was the garden, where the sculptures actually are, but beyond that is the space where the guy worked, his atelier. It’s not the sculptures themselves but the space, the fact that one person worked hard in that space to fullfill his creative feelings that made an impact on me.
                  AB: What role if any does the idea of beauty play in your work?
                  JW: I have a sense of beauty. And that’s why I make the clothes. But this sense of beauty is something that is my own. It could be diffeent from a general sense of beauty, what everyone else might think is beautiful,though. I don’t know. It is simply what I think is beautiful. It’s not something I should say in words. I make the clothes and what matters is what you feel when you see the presentation.
                  AB: You have worked with Levi’s on your men’s collection. And now I understand you are doing something with Nike. How has working with these companies changed the way you design?
                  JW: Working with different companies, and expecially with companies that have been cncentrating on one thing for a long time, had had a big impact. It’s not only the end product but bow they work - what they do first, step by step, and the way that the details they work with and the know-how all comes through. Both Levi’s and Nike have their own way of doing things. It’s difficult to work with someone who has a different system but it also makes you grow as a designer. I think if them as my factories. They have the machines and the technique, the know-how that our factories don’t have.
                  AB: Can a new technique inspire an entire collection?
                  JW: The idea comes first. I want to make something and then I ask What do I need to make it real and to make it the best? For example with Levi’s, they had everything so I approached them.
                  AB: Are your ideas sometimes too big to be realized technically? Do you find you’re dreaming of something and then you can’t find the means to make it a reality?
                  JW: Yes. There are more instances when the ideas are too big.
                  AB: So then what?
                  JW: I give up and move to the next. I’ll wait for something to come along.

Comment

• rider
                    eyes of the world
                    • Jun 2009

continued...
                    AB: Have you ever entertained the idea of designing something else besides clothing?
                    JW: No. Fashion is too big in my mind. I can’t think of anything else.
                    AB: I think people are fascinated by the way you work. In a way it’s too easy to pick up references - in movies or old fashion images - and make them into a collection. It seems that fewer designers are working genuinely from the inside. How do you keep all the noise from coming in and distracting you?
                    JW: I don’t think that being in Japan is being isolated. I wouldn’t say I’m isolated or shut off from the world. I live my life like veryone else, I walk around, I see architecture, I go to movies. Something that inspires me will always come into my head and stick there. It might be an inspiration for the next collection. I don’t think I could do this if I were living on a deserted island. Maybe you think I love like one of those Zen people. It’s not the way it is at all.
                    AB: You just strike me as someone who has an ability to stay focused and not really care about being a part of the whole fashion scene. You seem to have a very quiet and confident sense of purpose.
                    JW: Thank you.
                    AB: I just think you have such charisma as a designer that people will respond to what you do whether it has anything to do with what’s going on in fashion or not. I mean for spring the trend was miniskirts and you were showing these long, voluminous silhouettes.
                    JW: Also thank you. Thank you very much.
                    AB: It’s rare. And it puts fashion on a different level.
                    JW: I feel like I am being complimented and I’m not used to it.
                    AB: I hardly believe that. Are you very self-critical?
                    JW: I’m critical just like everyone else must be critical of their own work. In my case, I have other people to be critical towards my work.
                    AB: How many collections are you designing at any given moment?
                    JW: There’s the women’s, the men’s, and now a women’s line that has sort of branched out from the men’s line.
                    AB: Do you keep them separate in your head creatively? Or are they somehow connected?
                    JW: The men’s and women’s brands have totally different concepts so I think of them separately, totally separately.
                    AB: Your men’s line is more like real clothing, jeans and T-shirts, and the women’s has this huge element of fantasy. What is fantasy for men? Do they get any of this in their fashion?
                    JW: Basics. Men don’t have much fantasy for clothes, I think. It all comes down to the basics. That’s the point of starting the menswear. For the women’s I research with fabrics and shapes and the patterns; with the men’s I really wanted to do something basic.
                    AB: Doesn’t the men’s reflect your personal style?
                    JW: I do like basic for men but that wasn’t necessarily the reason I started the men’s collection. I wanted to work with basics so that I could become more creative with the womenwear and the way to do that was to start another brand because you can’t do something very explorative and very basic in the same collection
                    AB: A dress can have so many different lives depending on who is wearing it and how they are wearing it and where they are wearing it. So you think about where the collection will go, what kind of life it will have, once it leaves your hands?
                    JW: It’s something that I think about,and it’s very important, how to show the clothes with the hair and the models - they are all part of it. But I don’t see people wearing my clothes much.
                    AB: Sometimes the image a designer presents in a show can be so strong that people who are shooting the clothes or even considering buying them see that image and can’t think of anywhere else to take it. In some respects, this strength of vision is the mark of a good designer. But it can be very interesting to see someone look at it from a completely different perspective and take it somewhere you never imagined it would go.
                    JW: If it’s strong, the different image someone makes, then I like it. But it depends.
                    AB: Would you be shocked to see a girl, walking down the street in New York or paris or Tokyo wearing one of the more extreme looks from the current collection?
                    JW: I can’t really say because I’ve never really seen anyone wearing one of the extreme pieces. I can’t really say how that would feel. My job as a designer is not to - well it is to sell, because it’s a business - but not to think about what people what, or how a normal person walking on the street would look in my clothes. That’s not what I design for. If a person bought one of the extreme pieces, she must have a reason for it. She must like it or have some sympathy with the design, so that’s good. But whether she looks good in it or not is for the people around her to decide.
                    AB: Is the biggest compliment to have someone wear your clothes?
                    JW: Of course.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

CDG ipad app

i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

They debuted the app at DSM the same night as our launch event. It's pretty sick visually - hypnotic.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

I don't have an ipad to see :(

Comment

• rider
                            eyes of the world
                            • Jun 2009

what the hell is this, spring?...its utterly Gorgeous!

anunknownquantity.com
                            Attached Files

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rider View Post
                              what the hell is this, spring?...its utterly Gorgeous!
                              that coat was (and maybe still is ) up on yahoo japan recently...i believe it's from an older collection, late 80's or early 90's (?). not sure if the inner layers are from the same collection but looks like they might be. on second thought, the dress looks like it might be junya
                              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• rider
                                eyes of the world
                                • Jun 2009

thank you.
                                if you have a look at the blog you can see the details much better. the dress looks like it could be early tricot or comme for sure.
                                its one of the most perfect depictions of a women i've seen wearing full out comme.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎