X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
    After Words is truly one of the greatest moments in fashion history....the image of that girl stepping into the table and pulling it up as a skirt is forever burned into my brain.

thank you so much, justine.
    for me it IS the greatest fashion moment..........for a designer t do such a beautiful collection (dresses as chair covers, chairs as briefcases, the coat with the pockets shaped as mittens!!!!!!!!) and then top it off, where, the usefulness and multifunctionality, (if there is such a word!) of everything in the presentation results in absolute nothingness at the end is the greatest fashion statement that one could make. i don't think he or anyone else could ever top that
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• rorschach
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by justine View Post
      Just some of the most amazing fashion moments, everybody has to watch this:
      http://www.style.com/video/fashion-moments/8615595001
      nice one! great post. i recall seeing some HC at opening ceremony recently - there were a few women's pieces on sale. nothing too exciting, unfortunatley. any one know of any additional stockists in the ny area?? this ingenuity should be supported!

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

It should be, but it's a rare occasion that NYC support ingenuity. Best place to find good Chalayan stuff, ironically, is Century21. And don't get me started on that trash-pile of a store, Opening Ceremony.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rorschach View Post
          nice one! great post. i recall seeing some HC at opening ceremony recently - there were a few women's pieces on sale. nothing too exciting, unfortunatley. any one know of any additional stockists in the ny area?? this ingenuity should be supported!
          Barneys has been stocking it the last few seasons. And yeah, since the spot's been blown anyway , C21 has some gorgeous Spring pieces in. OC just carries the diffusion line, which is significantly less exciting and less $$$.
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
            • Jan 2008

A couple of snippets from his graduation collection ...

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Wow, thanks B-I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's where he buried everything in the mud, right?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jon
                • Apr 2008

serious thanks for all the great throwback images (ie: this + CCP thread), I know a lot of the younger posters (myself included) have never seen this stuff before. I've always wanted to explore Chalayan's work more (guess I'm lazy and been waiting for you all to post this). I've taken him being a clever conceptualist as a given, but this is very enlightening.

Thanks!
                Originally posted by merz
                perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Wow, thanks B-I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's where he buried everything in the mud, right?
                  Yes, the collection was titled "The Tangent Flows". There's a bit from the interview droogist posted a bit back, that describes it:

SLEEK: Your career as a fashion designer was born with a funeral. For your degree show at St. Martins College you buried garments covered in iron filings underground, where they reacted with metal in a grave. Isn’t wearing a dress which has been buried and exhumed terribly morbid?

HC: Perhaps. However I buried the clothes in particular contexts, for that first time in connection with a story I invented. In it these magnetic dresses were made a mockery of by iron filings in a kind of performance, they were then kidnapped, killed and buried. I just wanted to illustrate the story: I even used excerpts from it on the labels in the clothes. Later I buried clothes in connection with a board game based on the Cartesian philosophy, that is about redemption and salvation, about jumping off heights to reach God, yet falling down and sinking into the mud. We also dipped them into mud, where they sank slowly and developed lives of their own. This is a great concern of mine, to give clothes a life of their own. After excavation they continue to live. They decompose, become rusty and thus receive an eternal life – which receives a new dimension on the body. However, the clothes I buried were never meant for wearing, although a few were washed and made wearable.
                  Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

Cartesia Autumn/Winter 1994
                    His first solo collection
                    Static Exhibition of whole collection, West Soho Galleries, London

Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 01-30-2009, 04:58 PM.
                    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

Temporary Interference Spring/Summer 1995
                        Sponsored by Jigsaw
                        Shown during London Fashion Week

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                          • Jan 2008

Along False Equator Autumn/Winter 1995
                          Sponsored by Renault U.K.

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                            • Jan 2008

Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• rorschach
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by rorschach View Post
                              i know, i know.. i dont love OC much either.. i was more of a fan a few years ago during the heydays of cloak (aka fw04). since then much of what they carry is pretty forgettable though my friend did recently get a really amazing tsumori chisato dress there.. thanks guys - i guess i gotta take my gf to c21 and barneys for some chalayan! i'll try not to blow it up any more than it already is :P

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

The wooden corset is now a part of the Met collection.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎