X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atom
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by nqth View Post
    no, against a part of people who buy cheap clothes and throw them away without wearing them.
    Sweatshops should be manufacturers problem first, consumers problem second. Not vice versa.

Comment

• nqth
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Atom View Post
      Sweatshops should be manufacturers problem first, consumers problem second. Not vice versa.
      sweatshops yes, but maybe not "collabs like this" as you stated. the probl. is about manufacturers that use sweatshops.

Comment

• franz
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I bet everyone here knows someone like that, merely shoppers, consumers, who throw clothes out with tags on them, unworn, and don't feel bad about it
        Originally posted by nqth View Post
        I still wear a HM pair of linen trouser i bought 4 years ago (after re-dyeing it). I wear white tshirts i bought from benetton like 6-7 years ago.
        Just passing by (there is WAY to much aggressiveness going around for my taste):

1. I still own some Uniqlo or AA stuff, some are indeed quite durable. And AA's original philosophy of fair wages and sweatshop-free was great IMO, reconciliating ethics and mass distribution (though it failed, it was still a project worthy of consideration)
        2. Do not throw stuff away ; I've given tons of stuff to charities (entire travel bags), so if you indeed know people throwing away unworn stuff, slap them across the face and drag them to your local charities
        3. The condescension against people buying from H&M/Zara feels a bit harsh to me.
        I know people shopping often at these stores. Even if they shifted all their purchases to brands discussed here, they would not be able to purchase more than one or 2 piece a year. I'm sorry, but it seems complicated to me to build a wardrobe at this pace. I've got a colleague who just came back from Zara: she was wondering whether she should return some of the stuff she bought cause it felt to her she had indulged herself (a sweater and a dress for what I guess was far less than 100€)
        Please do not forget that we are talking about 1000€ jackets or pants. That's more than most people spend yearly for clothing.
        And I've heard of some durability issues with CCP's spiral jeans for example... which is pretty inexcusable as far as I'm concerned.

I personally shop groceries at a local organic co-op guaranteeing fair value-added sharing between retailer and producers (a trending topic in France); I think everybody should do so. I know 95% just can't afford it, and buy junk just because they cannot afford to do it differently.
        I'd be curious to have a look at some people's grocery shopping habits: because buying Undercover or CCP partly because they do not pollute or exploit people, and then purchasing industrially processed food, or GMO-shit is no consistent behaviour.
        Originally posted by Faust
        True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

no one is saying that every person who has ever bought anything from H&M is evil. you need to re-read the discussion if thats the impression you got. and, comparing organic or processed food to tossing sweat shop made garments into the trash isn't exactly straight forward.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• franz
            • Mar 2011

I won't feed the beast (not speaking about you, the thread in general!!) so pm.
            Originally posted by Faust
            True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• syed
              • Sep 2010

"Takahashi, the 33-year-old founder of fashion house Under Cover, is shaking his head, tugging on his "Nagasaki Nightmare" T shirt and bitching about the spate of anxiety dreams he's been suffering lately. In one, he's at an unveiling of his offbeat outfits when the models mutate into dogs. In another, his latest collection of hand-sewn jeans and vests entitled "Scab" morphs into a Uniqlo horror of unadventurous banality. In yet another dream he's watching someone's head, probably his own, melt. "It's been like this for months," Takahashi moans."

Back in Dec '02 admittedly, but made me smile http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz1XAGEBiPX
              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Fantastic, syed. Hats off. This is some serious Kafkaesque shit.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
                  • Sep 2010

I just posted it because I thought it was interesting in light of the discussion really.

Whilst I would like to think that fast fashion collaborations could be done better and actually produce something interesting, I'm not as optimistic as you in thinking that this will happen with Jun's collection. Yes every designer approaches these things differently, but judging from what has gone before I do hold high hopes. That is not to say I am looking for it to fail, in fact I hope it does turn out well and surprise us all, but I'm not so sure that it will. Uniqlo in and of itself has declined in the past year or two, and this is coming from someone who was a major fan or their basics - prices going up, quality going down. Aggressive marketing and expansion has been at a cost.

Limiting cost limits what and how things can be created. But with mass market stuff it's also about what sells. Hirakawa in his Mekas interview said that "Undercover is always 70% things Takahashi wants to make and 30% clothes the brand wants to sell." But a Uniqlo collaboration line necessarily must be 100% of what the brand wants to sell. In fact screw the brand, it's what Uniqlo wants to sell. Yes it might be more interesting than 'a Uniqlo horror of unadventurous banality', but I'm not sure it will be the step in changing fast fashion collaborations you hope it might be.
                  "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Dear Jun, please don't make any more documentaries. Or hire a professional to do one. Thanks.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bryantyj
                      • Jun 2010

Just watch a Documentary on Jun Takahashi called mirror. so disappointed. I think Gyakusou is getting out of hand.

Comment

• bryantyj
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Dear Jun, please don't make any more documentaries. Or hire a professional to do one. Thanks.
                        Just wondering,are we referring to the same documentary?

Comment

• hurhur
                          • Jan 2011

anyone has experience with Undercover boots? What's the quality like? Thinking of picking this pair up.

anyone has any opinions on these?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bryantyj View Post
                            Just wondering,are we referring to the same documentary?
                            yep..

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ochre
                              • Sep 2009

Faust is this playing in NY? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
                                Faust is this playing in NY? I'd be interested in seeing it.
                                It was a one timer during the fashion week. Nothing to write home about, really.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎