X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dropt
    • May 2009

Same here, I think it's ok to get some basics at low prices, but I wouldn't reach for the jackets.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Well to be fair, it looks as uninspiring as the last couple of Undercover collections.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Pumpfish
        • Sep 2010

Re: Uniqlo Collab

This makes way more sense than Jil or most other designer to mass market tie ups.

There is so much more for the designer to explore close to the mainstream. That short plaid shirt very clever.

And when many of the designer's interests and design values are in detail and functionality, cleverness over luxury, this fits.

And fuck it, a proper summer wardrobe update for the whole family for the price of a single dipped trainer.....
        spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

I don't see how this makes more sense than J. In fact, I thought J produced some really nice garments that were basic and versatile while also being very original and well thought out. This stuff is so incredibly boring, if you didn't know it was by Undercover you probably wouldn't look twice (perhaps with the exception of the biker jacket, which even looks awful in the stock photo).
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Pumpfish
            • Sep 2010

Jil built her brand using the most expensive fabrics in the known universe. She even brought tears to the eyes to a man who can spend tens of millions on a slow moving sail boat.

Tying a fabric diva to a pound stretching mass market company doesn't naturally fit.

I concede that there are some similarities in design values. Jil never overworked the design, and uniqlo would fret over the cost of a dart. So they may sometimes have ended up in the same place by accident....
            spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Blackman
              • Feb 2011

Since the announcement of this project, I have heard a lot of opinions, both pro and con. Some say they can’t make heads or tails out of UNIQLO’s intention in partnering with UNDERCOVER, and others say they are expecting to see something truly innovative come out of this collaboration of polar opposites. It is only natural to think that opinions would be divided.

More than a year ago, when I first heard this talk, I questioned this project; to be honest, my first thought was “Why us?” It may be my personality, but at the same time, I felt a combination of apprehension and curiosity. At first, just to satisfy my curiosity, I wanted to hear from the people in charge who were really passionate.

Talks began with the reason for the request from UNIQLO, “We want the creations for the Japanese to reach people around the world.” To which I replied, “What should I do?” “What can we accomplish?” “Do we have anything in common, and if so what?” As I asked these questions I found myself gradually becoming interested in this project. We had several more discussions, as a result of which, an idea popped up almost simultaneously from both sides: “clothes for mom, dad and the children; clothes for the family.” We had found our common ground.

As far as children’s clothing is concerned, as UNDERCOVER announced some 10 years ago, because we were unable to balance production volume and cost, we had to sadly give up. My wife, RICO, did the designing. RICO is really fabulous at creating children’s clothes. One of the main reasons why I decided to do this project and resume making children’s clothes was the fact that the line had so many fans. Another big reason was that I wanted to offer our creations to people who until now had never heard of UNDERCOVER. In this regard, we have a bigger footprint than other brands. It would be a wonderful thing to have many people wearing the clothes I had designed. Price-wise and design-wise UNDERCOVER clothing was not for everyone, but now it could be.

That said, if I made such clothes with strong design elements that I have always done, this collaboration would never have come about. The basic idea of Uniqlo is “low priced products everyone can wear.” The role of UNDERCOVER is to add a little spice to that basic principle. You might say that adding a “spoonful of spice” is what this project is all about.

Some people might say that this project is not what UNDERCOVER is about; then again others might say it’s “just right.” Everyone has their opinion, so there are of course going to be pros and cons. The results of my spoonful of spice on our collaboration can be seen on the “uu” site and in our catalog. Designs recognizable by everyone. I thought at that time, what design can I infuse in basic clothing? It’s not going to work if you add too much or remove too much. Where do you stop? The first season was in a manner of speaking a series of trials and errors. The selection of fabrics and colors, cost vs. design, how to stay balanced and edgy. It meant using a totally different headset than before to design clothes for uu that are completely different from UNDERCOVER. It was a really difficult task.

Now all the designs for the second season have been finished. For me, in the second season I was able to finally get a feel for the shape of this collaboration. Last week, we already held the second season individual color sample approval meeting. (The approval meeting is where all the key members of the project, starting with President Yanai, meet to hear an explanation of the new products.) After running through the product descriptions, President Yanai said, “Truly amazing, I’m really impressed!” Looking at the second season, it seemed to me that President Yanai could see the part UNDERCOVER had played in the collaboration. At that moment I felt the question “What should I do for Uniqlo?” was clearly answered. It would appear my idea to “add a spoonful of spice” had been accepted. (I don’t know if 100%, but I just might ask President Yanai the next time I see him).

Whether or not this collaboration will continue in the future has not been decided yet, but in any case a new page in my life has been written. As always, I try my best and never cut corners.

A new endevor for a new era.

A project only UNDERCOVER can undertake.

“We offer families something positive in these tough times.” That is the thinking behind uu designs. I sincerely hope your family enjoys our clothes.

Jun Takahashi
              honeyee

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

Chilton is going to love this.

I personally feel he's not really saying anything.
                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

erm, plenty of others have already fell for it
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dropt
                    • May 2009

Seeing all this enjoyment within the lines, he probably doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Comment

• safeword123
                      • Jul 2008

don't shoot me, but did anyone check out the UU collection? what do you think? i found it to be SO underwhelming, and by that i mean it was mostly crap. men's stuff is slightly better, but really not much.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

If only Undercover understood the underpinnings of their under-the-radar appeal, they would not underestimate how underwhelming this undergraduate collection is.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dropt
                          • May 2009

xxxxx
                          Last edited by Dropt; 09-09-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• interest1
                            • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• itch-bay
                              • Jun 2012

has anyone seen new uc collection? really not feeling the uniqlo collab

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                                • Aug 2008

That is correct. The but beautiful 2 collection is subtitled as a tribute to svankmajer.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎