X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pontifex
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Bingo, exactly how I feel. At this point it's becoming very hard to justify what exactly it is you are paying for when purchasing Undercover. I like Jun's work in general, and has expressed that in no less than 3,500 words elsewhere, but I think he's simply running out of steam. I saw the collection at IF and it left me cold.
    I like the idea with the manifesto. A statement of what Jun Takahashi don't like about the industry and a justification of what he want to do at least. It's a completely different thing to succeed though.

I'm no expert but it must be very hard to work "against the flow" in the fashion industry I imagine.
    oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• droogist
      • Sep 2006

Sounds like most of you just aren't happy with the the aesthetic direction he's taken lately. With the possible exception of the current collection - which seems more about making a point than anything else - I fail to see how he's been any less creative of late than before. If anything, I see more rigor and thoughtfulness in his recent work. As random mentioned, the main difference lies in the fact that the concepts he's been exploring are inherently less theatrical than they used to be, which results in less immediately eye-catching results. If you've got some design talent, it's easy to turn heads with a collection on Jan Svankmajer, but a collection on Dieter Rams presents a different challenge.
      Last edited by droogist; 09-03-2010, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

No, that's not my gripe. He used to present a more cohesive universe - now he seems to be jumping from theme to theme.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hamham3002
          • Sep 2008

from Jun's WW book...

i think jun's work has revolve less around interesting constructions an shapes and more towards material and functionality... i dunno about him running out of steam.. i believe its more of a change of direction maybe?

Comment

• Atom
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
            In my eyes Undercover is still a more prestigious label than Julius, kind of always will be. At least I'd rather wear UC
            True that. Romantic days of old Harajuku. The image never dies.

Comment

• Trim
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
              In my eyes Undercover is still a more prestigious label than Julius, kind of always will be. At least I'd rather wear UC

I totally agree with you.
              /d

Comment

• kuugaia
                • Feb 2010

It's a bit of a shame that he feels he needs to create something new each season, just because?

But then again, as long as you create good shit, nobody's got a problem.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

So how does a collaboration with Nike fit into the above manifesto?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Atom
                    • Sep 2009

IIRC Jun made a collab with Nike a couple of years before as well. To tell you the truth, I've never understood those collaborations, UC x Nike, N(N) x New Era etc. They're quite odd even without manifestos. I suppose Japanese have different perspective on those US brands. Or something. Surely, the paycheck pays big part there. So, back to the manifesto...

BTW UC's new collection is now available at thecorner. I must say it looks like new UC that I don't quite understand. And European prices are .

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                      • Aug 2008

Don't forget about the upcoming undercover/coke collaboration. No joke.

Comment

• yffet
                        • Aug 2009

Haha shit is real!

Last edited by yffet; 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM.
                        Well, Karl is a fan of Carol. Not sure about the other way around though...(Faust)

Comment

• Atom
                          • Sep 2009

Talking about wtf. I have an old issue of Men's Non-no that came with UC x Hello Kitty sticker set. That was quite cute actually, with Patti Smith quotes and all.

Comment

• random
                            • Dec 2007

these japanese brands (nn, uc, visvim, etc) just do this kind of collaboration thing all the time. Though I dont like most of them, I am not bothered either as I view them collabs as totally different things from their main collections.
                            I don't exist.

Comment

• NOIRNUMERO
                              • Jul 2010

i have these from But Beautiful
                              Last edited by NOIRNUMERO; 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Saw the stuff from older collections today at FIT. Man, those skull pieces were so fucking good.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎