X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

i agree with some things being said on here,
    take chanel. she's gone. is karl doing it now? i don't know, don't really care, but he so-called- brought it back. using that as an example.
    but that is an image. the logo. the look. i saw that little biography on karl on sundance or something and, you know, it's just soooo different than margiela.
    sorry, again, i am tired and have to meet with my personal trainer in about 4 hours. this sucks.
    anyway, MARGIELA- the MAN is gone! HE was what margiela was all about. I don't care WHO they bring in- it's Dead. Like someone said - hey, birth, life, death. it's over. this is it fellas. it's done.
    Whatever it turns into, without Martin, screw it.
    Even completely different than Helmut. Martin is a genius. Maison Martin Margiela when he was there was beyond genius. Before all of this change that has happened. The clothing, the people he worked with. I don't ever make any sense in these damned posts because I always come on when I am tired- im sorry, but good god, I just have to say that I don't think there is even a future for the man himself that is bigger or better than what MMM WAS. I sure as hell hope so, but how can Martin top what he did? Impossible. I would love to know what anyone thinks. What in the world could Martin do that would top what he did? It's like he pulled a huge prank on the entire industry. He's like the wizard of oz. He's God to me. God.

Comment

• nqth
      • Sep 2006

I think MMM has changed from a niche fashion house into a bigger brand. Margiela wanted it (that's why he sold his house to Diesel). And he might have thought that a bigger brand would not fit him. So he walked out. He might knew (and planned) it at the begining (after Jil Sander and Helmut Lang experiences).

Of course it is also nice to be a niche house forever.

So MMM without Margiela is not the same MMM, so what? What he has done is done. Now we'd love to see sth new.

pierce, I think it is nice that a fashion designer says "I want this and I want that" when it comes to perfumes (or anything else). It's must be sth he/ she likes and is happy with, regardless of whatever else. It could be good or bad, of course, but I guess it is a part of the process.

Comment

• pierce
        Banned
        • Aug 2009

"pierce, I think it is nice that a fashion designer says "I want this and I want that" when it comes to perfumes (or anything else). "

I think that this tends to be the cult of the genius that is perpetuated by modern marketing. I liked what rick owens said in a recent interview, that he gets design students sending him "mood boards" when he really needs people who can cut patterns and stitch. Also the notion that designers talk in color to describe smell is again part of the cult of the genius. Like people who "see" music. I don't believe any of it for a moment.

Comment

• nqth
          • Sep 2006

yep "designer" I mean ppl with quite a few years of managing a house, not the one right after school:)

But no, green is actually a scent family (with classics like chanel 19 or polo). They use some specific ingredients (like tomato leaves, galbanum) to invoke an impression of cut grass, leaves, moss, forest... it's ok to say "green scent".

Comment

• nqth
            • Sep 2006

Suzy Bubble shoot a clip that has some footage of the first MMM show

Inside MMM for the launch of their first perfume "Untitled" as part of their new Line 3.

in her blog there are some pics from the showroom as well

Comment

• ittalidaa
              • Aug 2009

what was the mm scent. such a quiet beauty.

http://cotonblanc.tumblr.com http://lacollectionneuse.tumblr.com

Comment

• baizilla
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                wait a second....is this REALLY martin?
                Yes, that is him.

I posted a pic of him early in this thread.. here it is again:

The article is from 1983.

Comment

• ittalidaa
                  • Aug 2009

from way back when too. ;)
                  http://cotonblanc.tumblr.com http://lacollectionneuse.tumblr.com

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post

a collective effort will always be as good as the strongest visionary leading the collective!
                    I would say that a collective effort can't be any stronger than the strongest visionary, but is usually far from that.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• blackberry_yogurt
                      • Feb 2010

RIP MMM

Comment

• BeauIXI
                        • Nov 2008

For lack of a better term... Fuck that shit.

Some stuff from 2000.

AW89-90!

fragments of broken porcelaine creating a waistcoat

AW91-92

Sweater, patched together from cut-open and resewn raglan socks,
                        two cupped heels of which formed the bustline
                        Originally posted by philip nod
                        somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Catfood
                          • Oct 2008

The London exhibition has opened:
                          http://www.somersethouse.org.uk/fash...20/default.asp

Some pictures here:
                          http://dianepernet.typepad.com/diane...=Google+Reader

Comment

• tweeds
                            • Sep 2006

Disappointing exhibition on the whole: archive of pieces were great, but the use of space was mediocre. Little interaction between exhibits and space, too large a space with too few pieces, which gave an overly static and hence dated feel to the exhibition. Video footage was good where used, some sections were really well curated - in particular the flat pieces and doll's wardrobe motifs.

Definitely felt like an exhibition which was meant for another space, awkwardly transplanted into Somerset House. Exhibition catalogue (same as the one at MoMu) on sale for £20, so people wanting a copy without wanting to pay resellers' prices, get hold of it. Showstudio's thing a few months ago was much better.
                            SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• laughed
                              • Jul 2009

i haven't got around to the fragrance. Thinking about ordering a sample from perfumed court. has anyone whiffed it yet? and is it available online full bottle?

Comment

• droogist
                                • Sep 2006

^ I have it and wear it. As advertised, it sprays on green and dries down musky. I was skeptical at first, due to the pr-blitz surrounding its launch, but got over it quickly enough. It's a great scent - very feminine to my nose, however.

To my knowledge, it's not available online.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎