Page 181 of 182 FirstFirst ... 81131171172173174175176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 3621

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #3601
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jurassicsnark View Post
    Glad you liked "A Confederacy of Dunces." As I said, it's a personal favorite, and something that was really formative — I first read it as a late teen. Agree that "Emma" is not the strongest Austen, and that time spent with Billy Pilgrim is never wasted.
    Ignatius has got to be one of the best characters in contemporary literature. And the language in the book is simply marvelous! It's a real shame about the fate of the author.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  2. #3602

    Default

    *sits with her notepad ferociously writing down all the recommendations*

    I'm about to embark on "This Examined Life" by Stephen Grosz, not by choice (I joined a book club). It's the last 'self-help' book I will read for a while though. All the answers are in the classic literature duuuh !

  3. #3603
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mne View Post
    *sits with her notepad ferociously writing down all the recommendations*

    I'm about to embark on "This Examined Life" by Stephen Grosz, not by choice (I joined a book club). It's the last 'self-help' book I will read for a while though. All the answers are in the classic literature duuuh !
    Exactly!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  4. #3604

    Default

    Recently finished: 'Concrete' by Thomas Bernard (great as always); 'Mountainhead' by New Juche (a masterpiece); 'Hollow Faces, Merciless Moons' by William Scott Home (not quite sure what this thing is but it is most definitely a thing); '30 Fake Beheadings' by Gary J. Shipley (not his best work but still an interesting read); 'On the Natural History of Destruction' by W.G. Sebald (beautiful, sad).

    Presently: 'The Buried Giant' by Kazuo Ishiguro (not my usual thing, but somehow keep picking it back up) and the first volume of Witold Gombrowicz's journals (very much my thing, and just totally absorbing).

    On deck: the most recent batch of chapbooks from the always great Amphetamine Sulphate imprint (by Josh Peterson, Gary Mundy, Martin Bladh).

  5. #3605

    Default

    Read a lot since last time I was here...

    Currently on top of Works of Love by Soren Kierkegaard and the stories of Gargantua & Pantagruel by Rabelais.

    Prior to the Kierkegaard work on ethics I read Nietzsche's last two pieces before he succumbed...

    Some other books of note:

    Lost Illusions, Eugenie Grandet, Old Father Goriot - Balzac of course, fantastic literature, can see how they influenced Sartre, atleast in his Nausea.

    Almost through Dostoevsky's full catalog, finished The Idiot which he claims to be his favourite piece, though he acknowledges numerous flaws.

    And Quiet Flows The Don, nice stuff, interesting picture of the Cossacks and their role in Russia at the time.

    Read some other French stuff, like Germinal by Zola, great sociological document for those interested in some context for socialism.

    Can't forget this nice collection of essays by Camus, really helps in understanding his fictitious works, i.e. Myth of Sisyphus.

    The Monk - Matthew Lewis, highly recommend this, found it in a Montreal used bookstore by fate, gorgeous cover drew me to it, fallibility of the human condition, critical of divinity and all that entails.

    Crimes of Passion and Meat Air, great poetry if you can get your hands on it, highly recommend.

    Confessions of a Confidence Man, Felix Krull. Great book, Thomas Mann's last, yet evidently one of his earliest as well as he decided to pick it up again towards the very end of his life.

    Women in Love - D.H. Lawrence, beautiful.

  6. #3606
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,731

    Default

    /\ That's quite a list. I am glad we have one student who is not on a computer engineering track or whatever.

    About to start a collection of writing of Gay Talese. A must for every journalist, I suppose.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  7. #3607

    Default

    I know it's an older release but I just finished reading We Need To Talk About Kevin and my goodness it was one of the most brilliantly devastating books I've read in a long long time. I deeply resonated with the protagonist which made it maybe particularly harrowing from almost the first chapter, to the ending that took me by genuine surprise. I've not seen the film and at this point I'm not sure I want to? I finished it now a couple of weeks ago and every time I think of it I'm reeling again.
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

  8. #3608
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahn View Post
    I know it's an older release but I just finished reading We Need To Talk About Kevin and my goodness it was one of the most brilliantly devastating books I've read in a long long time. I deeply resonated with the protagonist which made it maybe particularly harrowing from almost the first chapter, to the ending that took me by genuine surprise. I've not seen the film and at this point I'm not sure I want to? I finished it now a couple of weeks ago and every time I think of it I'm reeling again.
    The film was sick, too. So sick that I probably won't touch the book.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  9. #3609

    Default


    Just began reading the Man Booker prizewinner. I saw mention of Sebald influence, so I picked it up.

  10. #3610

    Default

    I wasn't that much of a reader in the past, but I'm finally starting to realise what I've been missing out on, both in fashion/art history and classic literature. Right now I'm reading The Chrysanthemum and the Sword. Being half Japanese, I think it's vital I better understand my country's culture and traditions, even if the content has been considered to be less relevant in the current day. So far, I'm definitely invested in it.

    Not sure what I'll read after this, but classic novels like Crime and Punishment and 1984 have caught my eye, although I need to be sure I can unpack and understand them before I attempt them.

  11. #3611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Indeed, I do :-) The Oprah thing is a long story and a wonderful example of how one is no longer able to stand up to mass culture. The whole blame of his merit as a writer as some privileged white male is beyond preposterous. Cheap shots from lesser people.
    I finished 'How to be Alone'. What a brilliant book. Brilliant in its sober accuracy - especially 'The Royal Bedroom" chapter on privacy. I found 'Scavenging' (rotary phone ;)) and 'Meet Me in St. Louis' (The Oprah thing)particularly heartbreaking. So I'm an instant fan now and I need more! Where to next? 'Corrections' ?

  12. #3612
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mne View Post
    I finished 'How to be Alone'. What a brilliant book. Brilliant in its sober accuracy - especially 'The Royal Bedroom" chapter on privacy. I found 'Scavenging' (rotary phone ;)) and 'Meet Me in St. Louis' (The Oprah thing)particularly heartbreaking. So I'm an instant fan now and I need more! Where to next? 'Corrections' ?
    Corrections, of course! I am glad :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  13. #3613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mne View Post
    I finished 'How to be Alone'. What a brilliant book. Brilliant in its sober accuracy - especially 'The Royal Bedroom" chapter on privacy. I found 'Scavenging' (rotary phone ;)) and 'Meet Me in St. Louis' (The Oprah thing)particularly heartbreaking. So I'm an instant fan now and I need more! Where to next? 'Corrections' ?
    I always liked 'Corrections' but for me 'Freedom' felt stronger in the long term.

    For the topic:
    I'm reading Zadie Smith's 'The Autograph Man' and while I enjoyed Swing Time, White Teeth and especially london N. W. I'm having problems getting into this one. Perhaps it's stacked with too many references I don't get.

  14. #3614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmsix View Post
    I always liked 'Corrections' but for me 'Freedom' felt stronger in the long term.

    For the topic:
    I'm reading Zadie Smith's 'The Autograph Man' and while I enjoyed Swing Time, White Teeth and especially london N. W. I'm having problems getting into this one. Perhaps it's stacked with too many references I don't get.
    Thank you for recommending ! I will check it out as well :)

  15. #3615

    Default

    Currently

    Les Chants de Maldoror by Comte de Lautréamont


    and Sleep Has His House by Anna Kava



    Each referenced by Nurse With Wound and Current 93 in their album titles respectively but it's actually entirely coincidental I'm reading both at once and that those two artists/groups have collaborated.

  16. #3616

    Default

    Anybody got tips on japanese literature, specifically regarding philosophy? Looking for some ancient wisdom stuff.

  17. #3617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marux View Post
    Anybody got tips on japanese literature, specifically regarding philosophy? Looking for some ancient wisdom stuff.
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kyoto-school/

    The Kyoto School is significant but it's quite modern. Tanizaki Jun'ichirō might also interest you.

    I have no idea about ancient wisdom though.

  18. #3618

    Default

    That is perfect, much obliged.

  19. #3619

    Default

    Is Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation of 'War and Peace' the only one worth reading or can anyone recommend other translations please?

  20. #3620
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mne View Post
    Is Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation of 'War and Peace' the only one worth reading or can anyone recommend other translations please?
    They are the current translation stars from Russian to English, so that's probably what you want. Although my 15-year-old daughter was dissatisfied with their translation of Crime and Punishment. Though she may have very high standards!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •