• swiftpacer
    • Aug 2017

Rereading Dan Brown's Inferno.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Listenup View Post
      I'm reading 8th book(the one about their children), not 7th. Ofc i've read 7th a long time ago :D
      Oh, the play? It was a huge disappointment.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
        • Sep 2014

Some recent reads, all highly recommended.

Look Homeward, Angel - Thomas Wolfe

Classic Southern Gothic, similar to Faulkner. Very interesting to read after Kerouac, especially works like Big Sur, as Wolfe's literature influenced him in his "spontaneous" writing style.

A Death in Venice - Thomas Mann

Nice short work, reminded me of Lolita with all the obsession going on. Would definitely recommend reading Magic Mountain if you enjoy this.

Lost Illusions - Honore de Balzac

Just fucking great, all I'm going to say. Reading Eugenie Grandet now.

The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Full of feeling (Fyodor was a gambler himself), much like Brothers Karamazov and C/P, but more compact.

Comment

• LilL.FASH
          • Jul 2012

Reading Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall, its particularly hilarious.

Comment

• Sufi
            • Jan 2017

I've been stuck on The Castle for over a year now. Some parts of this book are indeed alluring and somewhat haunting; however, majority of this book just seems to drag on. Maybe it's my attention span but I'm often putting this book down after every 10 pages or so.

Also recently finished The Flowers of Evil. Beautiful work of poetry by Baudelaire, goes great with James Blake's The Colour in Anything playing in the background.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
              Some recent reads, all highly recommended.

Look Homeward, Angel - Thomas Wolfe

Classic Southern Gothic, similar to Faulkner. Very interesting to read after Kerouac, especially works like Big Sur, as Wolfe's literature influenced him in his "spontaneous" writing style.

A Death in Venice - Thomas Mann

Nice short work, reminded me of Lolita with all the obsession going on. Would definitely recommend reading Magic Mountain if you enjoy this.

Lost Illusions - Honore de Balzac

Just fucking great, all I'm going to say. Reading Eugenie Grandet now.

The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Full of feeling (Fyodor was a gambler himself), much like Brothers Karamazov and C/P, but more compact.
              Did you see the recent film, "Genius"?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Sufi View Post
                I've been stuck on The Castle for over a year now. Some parts of this book are indeed alluring and somewhat haunting; however, majority of this book just seems to drag on. Maybe it's my attention span but I'm often putting this book down after every 10 pages or so.

Also recently finished The Flowers of Evil. Beautiful work of poetry by Baudelaire, goes great with James Blake's The Colour in Anything playing in the background.
                Yes, it is. It's meant to drag on. That's the point. Like life...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• monster
                  • Aug 2009

The Illuminatus! by Robert Anton Wilson and Atrocity exhibition by Ballard - brilliant madness

Comment

• GucciAmen
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LilL.FASH View Post
                    Reading Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall, its particularly hilarious.
                    I just read his other work, Scoop - wasn't expecting it to be so funny, definitely recommend it for the insights on 19th C. international journalism as well.

Faust

I have not! Looks like a great companion to the novel, I'll check it out, thanks.

Comment

• LilL.FASH
                      • Jul 2012

GucciAmen

Thanks, I'll give it a read. Decline and Fall is somewhat relatable, having survived a Welsh prep school and all of the personalities within that system.

Comment

• Monoral
                        • Mar 2014

I am currently re-reading Society Of The Spectacle by Guy Debord

Got reminded of it by Childish Gambino music video This is America.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Monoral View Post
                          I am currently re-reading Society Of The Spectacle by Guy Debord

Got reminded of it by Childish Gambino music video This is America.
                          Follow up with Simulacra and Simulation and you've got contemporary culture, FASHION INCLUDED, pat down.

I've been thinking about that video, and how impotent art has become compared to what we simply see on the news. Who needs Childish Gambino to tell us that this is America, when we can turn on the CNN?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Monoral
                            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Follow up with Simulacra and Simulation and you've got contemporary culture, FASHION INCLUDED, pat down.

I've been thinking about that video, and how impotent art has become compared to what we simply see on the news. Who needs Childish Gambino to tell us that this is America, when we can turn on the CNN?
                            I have purchase Simulacra and Simulation, I will read it as soon as i'm finish with Society of the Spectacle.
                            Thank you for the tip

Comment

• szabó
                              • May 2018

+1 to anything by Baudrillard. McLuhan is a more relevant read than Debord, nowadays, though.

Mark Fisher's The Weird and the Eerie - amongst other things, a great response to the characterizations of Lovecraft's work by Houellebecq and others (Also very accessible as a work of literary criticism). Also, Paul Morand's Tendres stocks. I hear Ezra Pound did a translation of it - I wonder how that reads.

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

How would you rate Mark Fisher's work?
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎