X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DannyDagger
    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by marux View Post
    Anybody got tips on japanese literature, specifically regarding philosophy? Looking for some ancient wisdom stuff.

The Kyoto School is significant but it's quite modern. Tanizaki Jun'ichirō might also interest you.

I have no idea about ancient wisdom though.

Comment

• marux
      • Apr 2013

That is perfect, much obliged.

Comment

• mne
        • Mar 2016

Is Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation of 'War and Peace' the only one worth reading or can anyone recommend other translations please?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mne View Post
          Is Pevear and Volokhonsky's translation of 'War and Peace' the only one worth reading or can anyone recommend other translations please?
          They are the current translation stars from Russian to English, so that's probably what you want. Although my 15-year-old daughter was dissatisfied with their translation of Crime and Punishment. Though she may have very high standards!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mne
            • Mar 2016

[QUOTE=Faust;535385]They are the current translation stars from Russian to English, so that's probably what you want. Although my 15-year-old daughter was dissatisfied with their translation of Crime and Punishment. Though she may have very high standards![/Q

Say no more! Now I definitely have to get my hands on the copy !

Comment

• zccaado
              • Apr 2019

reading a rebours again. this book never fails to disappoint

Comment

• Anton
                • Oct 2014

Bought a few books, reading this at the moment...

I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ Seems like a good one from the review I've read.

Reading The Empire of Fashion by Gilles Lipovetsky and very much enjoying it.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DannyDagger
                    • Nov 2018

Future Crimes by Marc Goodman. Science and technology is developing at an exponential rate and we are not at all prepared for how criminals will be misusing it. We are more connected than ever, but in turn more vulnerable than ever.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DannyDagger View Post
                      Future Crimes by Marc Goodman. Science and technology is developing at an exponential rate and we are not at all prepared for how criminals will be misusing it. We are more connected than ever, but in turn more vulnerable than ever.
                      Yep, it's one of the reasons I refuse to buy into the Internet of things. I don't want that shit in my house. (well, it's already in my house, obviously, but no smart speaker for me, no thanks).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Anton
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Yep, it's one of the reasons I refuse to buy into the Internet of things. I don't want that shit in my house. (well, it's already in my house, obviously, but no smart speaker for me, no thanks).
                        Definitely agreed, I can't understand people who just have all their houses "wired". As someone who works in tech, I want to disconnect from it as much as possible when I'm at the house from security reasons and just for sanity.

Comment

• Anton
                          • Oct 2014

@Fasut "Winners Take All" was quick and easy read, a lot of common knowledge for people in the industry. Large portion of the criticism presented is right but some ideas in the book are not the best to say the least.

Currently reading:

Comment

• Anton
                            • Oct 2014

Now reading...

Comment

• korzo
                              • Mar 2020

Hi all,

Have recently read Serotonin by Houellebecq, a truly charming and amazing novel about a man who's struggling with depression and his view on the current French society and life. Well, it is like every other Houellebecq novel but for some reason this hit me harder than the others. Be aware however as some parts of the book are rather hard to read and best not to visualize.

Recently read some Kundera but I am not a big fan of his work. Finished my journey with Camus who happens to be my favorite author.

Also read a wonderful yet long book about Neo-avantgarde. I wonder if you guys also have read some stuff about Avantgarde art or neoavantgarde art/tendencies.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

It's funny how Kundera in retrospect seems no longer relevant. I don't quite know why - I suppose mostly it's his treatment of women in his novels.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎