Page 182 of 182 FirstFirst ... 82132172173174175176177178179180181182
Results 3,621 to 3,633 of 3633

Thread: What are you reading?

reading a rebours again. this book never fails to disappoint

Bought a few books, reading this at the moment...

I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
    My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

/\ Seems like a good one from the review I've read.

Reading The Empire of Fashion by Gilles Lipovetsky and very much enjoying it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Future Crimes by Marc Goodman. Science and technology is developing at an exponential rate and we are not at all prepared for how criminals will be misusing it. We are more connected than ever, but in turn more vulnerable than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDagger View Post
    Future Crimes by Marc Goodman. Science and technology is developing at an exponential rate and we are not at all prepared for how criminals will be misusing it. We are more connected than ever, but in turn more vulnerable than ever.
    Yep, it's one of the reasons I refuse to buy into the Internet of things. I don't want that shit in my house. (well, it's already in my house, obviously, but no smart speaker for me, no thanks).
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Yep, it's one of the reasons I refuse to buy into the Internet of things. I don't want that shit in my house. (well, it's already in my house, obviously, but no smart speaker for me, no thanks).
    Definitely agreed, I can't understand people who just have all their houses "wired". As someone who works in tech, I want to disconnect from it as much as possible when I'm at the house from security reasons and just for sanity.

Found this one, quite good

The Hero with a Thousand Faces (first published in 1949) is a work of comparative mythology by Joseph Campbell, in which the author discusses his theory of the mythological structure of the journey of the archetypal hero found in world myths.

Since the publication of The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Campbell's theory has been consciously applied by a wide variety of modern writers and artists. Filmmaker George Lucas acknowledged Campbell's theory in mythology, and its influence on the Star Wars films.

The Joseph Campbell Foundation and New World Library issued a new edition of The Hero with a Thousand Faces in July 2008 as part of the Collected Works of Joseph Campbell series of books, audio and video recordings. In 2011, Time placed the book in its list of the 100 best and most influential books written in English since the magazine was founded in 1923.

@Fasut "Winners Take All" was quick and easy read, a lot of common knowledge for people in the industry. Large portion of the criticism presented is right but some ideas in the book are not the best to say the least.

Currently reading:

Now reading...

Hi all,

Have recently read Serotonin by Houellebecq, a truly charming and amazing novel about a man who's struggling with depression and his view on the current French society and life. Well, it is like every other Houellebecq novel but for some reason this hit me harder than the others. Be aware however as some parts of the book are rather hard to read and best not to visualize.

Recently read some Kundera but I am not a big fan of his work. Finished my journey with Camus who happens to be my favorite author.

Also read a wonderful yet long book about Neo-avantgarde. I wonder if you guys also have read some stuff about Avantgarde art or neoavantgarde art/tendencies.

It's funny how Kundera in retrospect seems no longer relevant. I don't quite know why - I suppose mostly it's his treatment of women in his novels.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I agree, here in Central Europe for obvious reasons he is the name brand of the so-called modern European literature.

I always despised his let's say over-simplified view on media and culture. I find it hard to view him as a philosopher as many say as his thoughts fail to achieve an ascended discussion, in a way he arrives to be a part of the culture he opposed his entire life. On the other hand, he is very gifted regarding stylistically and uses language both Czech and French in a wonderful way.

L'Insoutenable Légèreté de l'être is the only book I would recommend reading from him