X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I need to revisit the Invisible Man after reading a brilliant essay on it by Saul Bellow. I am in the throes of the new expansive volume of Saul Bellow's essays, There Is Simply Too Much to Think About. What an incredible mind. I doubt we'll ever get another one like that.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

I loved Hunger by Knut Hamsun, such a great creepy book

I also loved the Magic Mountain, but didn't make it to the end because life got in the way. Should definitely give it another go

Comment

• bukka
        • Sep 2011

Summer is always the best moment to read longer works, currently reading Belle du Seigneur, which I love so far (read 2/3). If you have the time to embark on that journey, do it, it's well worth it.
        Last edited by bukka; 07-25-2016, 11:47 AM.
        Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

I thought Belle du Seigneur was weird. First third was breathtaking, second third was meh and third third was more boring than I could stomach.

I just read The Idiot in one week, I thought it would be a good summer read, but was to gripping to make last.

Comment

• bukka
            • Sep 2011

I'm at p.500 and I think it's brilliant so far. I agree that, from the moment she's seduced, it's a bit less interesting, but the language and the humour are still great. We'll see how it goes!
            Another coup de foudre I had this year is Mabanckou. Read Verre Cassé and Mémoires de Porc-épic, don't know if those are translated in english, it must quite difficult to do it anyway. But for french readers, give it a try, fun fun novels
            Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• byhand
              • Dec 2011

Thieves Emporium by Max Hernandez
              Last edited by byhand; 07-25-2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• amulet
                • Apr 2015

Essays in Idleness by Yoshida Kenko.

Comment

• imho_essno
                  • Jun 2013

Itten, Johannes (1975). Design and form: the basic course at the Bauhaus.
                  Itten, Johannes (1973). The Art of Color: the subjective experience and objective rationale of color.

Great coffee table books also.

Comment

• Monoral
                    • Mar 2014

Banana Yoshimoto The Lake

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Damn, I can't believe we haven't updated this since end of July. Do people not read? I am still on Saul Bellow's essays, by the way, haha! I put it down to swallow Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy - haven't reread it since I was a kid and did now because I recommended it to my daughter. I think her verdict "What a funny and absolutely pointless book," is spot on.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Kœnig
                        • Jan 2015

Voyage au bout de la nuit, Louis-Ferdinand Celine. Can't say it moved me, though I'd been looking for French writers in the vein of Camus and it had been frequently recommended. Currently looking for something vivid and complex, comparable to Roberto Bolano's work.

Comment

• Anton
                          • Oct 2014

Recently bought DMT - The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman, also got the latest Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz book titled Islam and the future of tolerance, not my first Harris book but never read anything by Nawaz...
                          I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                          My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• SafetyKat
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Anton View Post
                            Recently bought DMT - The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman, also got the latest Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz book titled Islam and the future of tolerance, not my first Harris book but never read anything by Nawaz...
                            Interesting, does the documentary of the same name have any relation?

Speaking of the unconventional, I've been looking into Graham Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods.

Comment

• Anton
                              • Oct 2014

Yes it seems the Strassman is one of the writers for that documentary, so I think it's probably somewhat based on his book. I'll check that Docu tonight...thanks!
                              I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                              My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

Nobelololloll
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎