Page 182 of 182 FirstFirst ... 82132172173174175176177178179180181182
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 3630

Thread: What are you reading?

[QUOTE=Faust;535385]They are the current translation stars from Russian to English, so that's probably what you want. Although my 15-year-old daughter was dissatisfied with their translation of Crime and Punishment. Though she may have very high standards![/Q

Say no more! Now I definitely have to get my hands on the copy !

reading a rebours again. this book never fails to disappoint

Bought a few books, reading this at the moment...

I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
    My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

/\ Seems like a good one from the review I've read.

Reading The Empire of Fashion by Gilles Lipovetsky and very much enjoying it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Future Crimes by Marc Goodman. Science and technology is developing at an exponential rate and we are not at all prepared for how criminals will be misusing it. We are more connected than ever, but in turn more vulnerable than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDagger View Post
    Future Crimes by Marc Goodman. Science and technology is developing at an exponential rate and we are not at all prepared for how criminals will be misusing it. We are more connected than ever, but in turn more vulnerable than ever.
    Yep, it's one of the reasons I refuse to buy into the Internet of things. I don't want that shit in my house. (well, it's already in my house, obviously, but no smart speaker for me, no thanks).
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Yep, it's one of the reasons I refuse to buy into the Internet of things. I don't want that shit in my house. (well, it's already in my house, obviously, but no smart speaker for me, no thanks).
    Definitely agreed, I can't understand people who just have all their houses "wired". As someone who works in tech, I want to disconnect from it as much as possible when I'm at the house from security reasons and just for sanity.

Found this one, quite good

The Hero with a Thousand Faces (first published in 1949) is a work of comparative mythology by Joseph Campbell, in which the author discusses his theory of the mythological structure of the journey of the archetypal hero found in world myths.

Since the publication of The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Campbell's theory has been consciously applied by a wide variety of modern writers and artists. Filmmaker George Lucas acknowledged Campbell's theory in mythology, and its influence on the Star Wars films.

The Joseph Campbell Foundation and New World Library issued a new edition of The Hero with a Thousand Faces in July 2008 as part of the Collected Works of Joseph Campbell series of books, audio and video recordings. In 2011, Time placed the book in its list of the 100 best and most influential books written in English since the magazine was founded in 1923.

@Fasut "Winners Take All" was quick and easy read, a lot of common knowledge for people in the industry. Large portion of the criticism presented is right but some ideas in the book are not the best to say the least.

Currently reading: