Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • szabó
    • May 2018

Fuuma; one of the better cultural critics of our day. Fisher has very little of the pretentiousness of some other writers of his calibre, and even less of the obscurantism. He's really engaging, not incredibly challenging, yet very insightful for it. The pieces of art he alludes to are also far more popular than other theorists; one of the reasons why I recommend (especially) works like Capitalist Realism to friends.

Comment

• gawkrodger
      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      How would you rate Mark Fisher's work?
      Very very highly. Was a lovely man as well

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

I know he's a very popular Zero books author but I've never read a complete book by him, thanks for the rec guys...
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• MissMica
          • Apr 2018

I am currently reading The Biba Years, 1963-1975. The next book on my list after this one is Fashion's Front line. I love reading about the history of fashion.

Comment

• stagename
            • Oct 2011

Looking for any book that would relate to
            (1) the death of authenticity
            and
            (2) the death of subcultures
            and
            (3) the death of counter-culture
            mostly due to the rise of neoliberalism and how it is now impossible to be counter-cultural. Anything you might have in mind would be super appreciated.

And to contribute, I'm on a Deleuzian trajectory at the moment, because masochistic summer, reading Simondon who had a somewhat big influence on key ideas of Deleuze. In English I think only one of his book has been translated, On the Mode of Existence of Technical Objects. I also have a big pile of books on sneakers to balance things out.

Thanks!

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by stagename View Post
              Looking for any book that would relate to
              (1) the death of authenticity
              and
              (2) the death of subcultures
              and
              (3) the death of counter-culture
              mostly due to the rise of neoliberalism and how it is now impossible to be counter-cultural. Anything you might have in mind would be super appreciated.

And to contribute, I'm on a Deleuzian trajectory at the moment, because masochistic summer, reading Simondon who had a somewhat big influence on key ideas of Deleuze. In English I think only one of his book has been translated, On the Mode of Existence of Technical Objects. I also have a big pile of books on sneakers to balance things out.

Thanks!
              The Conquest of Cool by Thomas Frank

And this fantastic essay by him, Why Johnny Can't Dissent

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Atom11
                • May 2013

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

Comment

• stagename
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  And this fantastic essay by him, Why Johnny Can't Dissent

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...sent.html?_r=2
                  Thanks I had never seen this one before!

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Read The Perks of Being a Wallflower - heartbreaking and beautiful coming of age story that was the inspiration for the last women's Undercover show (well, I guess the film version was, but the book is so good!)

Now onto A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Peasant
                      • Jul 2009

David Sedaris, Calypso.
                      Specifically “The Perfect Fit” where he discusses shopping in Tokyo, how much he and his sister love Kapital, going to Dover Street Market, wearing Paul Harden pants with a button fly that is a foot long, and more. It’s fucking hilarious.
                      Last edited by Peasant; 06-19-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
                        David Sedaris, Calypso.
                        Specifically “The Perfect Fit” where he discusses shopping in Tokyo, how much he and his sister love Kapital, going to Dover Street Market, wearing Paul Harden pants with a button fly that is a foot long, and more. It’s fucking hilarious.
                        Yeah, it's awesome. I posted it a year ago or so here when he published it in the New Yorker. MrBeuys also posted a hilarious live reading from BBC, but now I can't find it for the life of me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Zambot
                          • Jan 2018

I am into beat literature currently. Cant get enough of Kerouac. Read On the Road and Dharma Bums. I also read some Herman Hesse Journey to the East. Currently reading Ametora by David Marx, a great book on post-war japan fashion and the Ivy Boom.

Comment

• battleangelkali
                            • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Zambot View Post
                            I am into beat literature currently. Cant get enough of Kerouac. Read On the Road and Dharma Bums. I also read some Herman Hesse Journey to the East. Currently reading Ametora by David Marx, a great book on post-war japan fashion and the Ivy Boom.
                            You should read Allen Ginsburg's Howl if you're into beat literature. Incredibly powerful poem.

I myself am currently reading Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler, a biopounk novel set after a nuclear war. An alien race with the capacity to modify their genetic code breed with humans to create a new species with 'less hierarchical genes'.

The concept is incredibly interesting, as I'm a huge fan of things which challenge and go beyond the notion of what it seems to be human. In most films involving aliens or supernatural creatures there is either a human/alien dichotomy, or the alien creature must become human to be redeemed and accepted i.e. cured. It's both refreshing and radical to see a challenge to such notions of purity.

Comment

• Sufi
                              • Jan 2017

I'm almost done reading German Autumn by Stig Dagerman. It's a deeply haunting and fascinating book which attempts to humanize normal Germans following World War 2.

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

Read the short essay "our need for consolation is insatiable" (by Dagerman).
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎