X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Finished David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day. His essays on his life in Paris and learning French are HILARIOUS!

On my last Jane Austen novel now - Emma. What an elegant writer...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stagename
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
      specifically “The Perfect Fit”
      A bit late but that was great indeed.

I'm going through Graham Harman's work and taking suggestions for accompanying articles, books, or authors, e.g. Hoddler's entanglement, if that's somebody's schtick.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Great essay, especially for people my age.

Seven Books I'll Never Read
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mne
          • Mar 2016

I'm reading 'Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking' by Susan Cain.

Very informative and eye-opening, especially for those who can relate.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mne View Post
            I'm reading 'Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking' by Susan Cain.

Very informative and eye-opening, especially for those who can relate.
            Follow up with How to be Alone, a collection of essays by Jonathan Franzen

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mne
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Follow up with How to be Alone, a collection of essays by Jonathan Franzen
              Thanks for the recommendation. Funnily enough, I read a very good article on him the other day in NYT, not knowing anything about him prior, which definitely got me intrigued. I won't bother with the link as I'm sure you know which one i'm talking about.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mne View Post
                Thanks for the recommendation. Funnily enough, I read a very good article on him the other day in NYT, not knowing anything about him prior, which definitely got me intrigued. I won't bother with the link as I'm sure you know which one i'm talking about.
                Indeed, I do :-) The Oprah thing is a long story and a wonderful example of how one is no longer able to stand up to mass culture. The whole blame of his merit as a writer as some privileged white male is beyond preposterous. Cheap shots from lesser people.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gawkrodger
                  • Jun 2013

Mike Davis - Old gods, new enigmas: Marx's lost theory

Comment

• mne
                    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Indeed, I do :-) The Oprah thing is a long story and a wonderful example of how one is no longer able to stand up to mass culture. The whole blame of his merit as a writer as some privileged white male is beyond preposterous. Cheap shots from lesser people.
                    Agreed. I think what that silly CBS reporter did after going birdwatching with him was much more devastating though! But since he hasn't seen the piece, and he doesn't seem to care anyway, I won't either ;)

Comment

• Sufi
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                      I know he's a very popular Zero books author but I've never read a complete book by him, thanks for the rec guys...
                      Did you ever get to read Capitalist Realism? Curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                        • Sep 2015

Curious to know what you thought of "A Confederacy of Dunces," Faust. It's a personal favorite...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jurassicsnark View Post
                          Curious to know what you thought of "A Confederacy of Dunces," Faust. It's a personal favorite...
                          BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I just realized that I've read a couple of books and forgot to post. I gave up on Emma, probably inspired by the essay I posted on the last page. Definitely weakest Jane Austen. Gobbled Lady Chatterly's Lover, which I highly recommend. Some of the best writing on why lust is beautiful when it's mixed with love, and about sex as a deep part of human experience.

Now concurrently rereading Slaughterhouse-Five, because my daughter is reading it in high school and I wanted to refresh my memory,
                            and Dressed Up For a Riot: Misadventures in Putin's Russia by Michael Idov, just because it's very close to home, so to speak. It's an autobiographical book about his time as the accidental editor of GQ Russia. HILARIOUS.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                              • Sep 2015

Glad you liked "A Confederacy of Dunces." As I said, it's a personal favorite, and something that was really formative — I first read it as a late teen. Agree that "Emma" is not the strongest Austen, and that time spent with Billy Pilgrim is never wasted.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jurassicsnark View Post
                                Glad you liked "A Confederacy of Dunces." As I said, it's a personal favorite, and something that was really formative — I first read it as a late teen. Agree that "Emma" is not the strongest Austen, and that time spent with Billy Pilgrim is never wasted.
                                Ignatius has got to be one of the best characters in contemporary literature. And the language in the book is simply marvelous! It's a real shame about the fate of the author.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎