X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I did not realize that she has a phenomenal sense of humor on top of obviously being a brilliant writer.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I did not realize that she has a phenomenal sense of humor on top of obviously being a brilliant writer.
      I really should come back to her at some point, as I'd only read Pride and Prejudice back in college like every other liberal arts major, alongside Bronte's Wuthering Heights of course. I'd enjoyed both but I know there's so much I must have missed just due to limited life experience and self-unawareness.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Caetano
        • Apr 2014

Have to return to Austen. Had to read her at college but nothing happened inside, hehe, body and brains.

Now I am reading all things Georges Didi-Huberman. The guy is a philosopher, especially in the field of arts.
        His thinking is so radical, so dialectic, so destructive that you can't help falling in love with it. It looks very hermetic at first but once you breach into it, there's no return.
        After a long time I stump into a writer who had the power to shift my view on the world, especially the way I see art and probably even fashion.
        “Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain." William Faulkner

Comment

• Erich Fromm
          • May 2017

As I always do I am currently cross-reading a number of different works. The Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel, On Beauty by Umberto Eco and Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Wittgenstein (which is not really proper reading, but more doubting my intellectual capacity).

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Caetano View Post
            Have to return to Austen. Had to read her at college but nothing happened inside, hehe, body and brains.

Now I am reading all things Georges Didi-Huberman. The guy is a philosopher, especially in the field of arts.
            His thinking is so radical, so dialectic, so destructive that you can't help falling in love with it. It looks very hermetic at first but once you breach into it, there's no return.
            After a long time I stump into a writer who had the power to shift my view on the world, especially the way I see art and probably even fashion.
            Tell us more!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mne
              • Mar 2016

Started The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Alex Haley). The foreword has already filled some gaps providing an insightful context to my otherwise factual knowledge.

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Tell us more!
                Didi-Huberman writes like a book every week though so I doubt he is reading "everything". He also writes catalogues for expos and is mainly involved with the art world.

He got into a big fight with Claude Lanzmann (guy who made "Shoah") about representation and the holocaust, I think part of the debate was translated in English.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                  • Sep 2015

Oh man, Dudley, I'd be down to discuss this when you're finished, but I have to say that I have some pretty strong feelings about 1Q84.

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                    Continuing on with Snow Crash as a casual read but starting to poke around with other books in search of something that really sticks, including Paul Guyer's take on Kant and also Pattern Recognition.
                    For what it's worth, Stephenson's writing improves a lot with time, as does his ability to craft an ending. Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books, and I also loved The Baroque Cycle even though it is punishingly long.

I'm not an expert on Gibson, having only read a few of his books, but I enjoyed Pattern Recognition well enough. On the whole, though, I prefer Stephenson.

As for the fashion comparison, Gibson is the more stylish hands-down. Limited worldview or not, Gibson definitely talks about clothing in a way that shows that he's at least aware of the fact that style means something. Not only does he wear Acronym, but he also worked with Buzz Ricksons to produce Cayse's jacket, etc.

Neal, on the other hand, likes pockets. Seriously. He loves them. At any given time, he will have at least 10 pockets on him, usually on his pants but sometimes also on a utility vest. We're friends... He's a very kind person with an amazingly dry sense of humor and absolutely zero interest in fashion.

Comment

• Anton
                      • Oct 2014

Reading now,Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland. Taking time off from Philosophy...

I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                      My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Excellent, but not as excellent as Sense and Sensibility.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deadboy
                          • Jul 2013

Finally got around to diving into The Sandman after years of circling the edge. What have I been doing all this time?

Comment

• Listenup
                            • Aug 2017

Reading the last Harry Potter book right now, as a big fan of J.K.Rowling shamefull that i havent read it earlier...
                            So far it's rly interesting btw!
                            “I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion.”
                            This is quoted from Yohji Yamamoto

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Listenup View Post
                              Reading the last Harry Potter book right now, as a big fan of J.K.Rowling shamefull that i havent read it earlier...
                              So far it's rly interesting btw!

How can you read the first 6 without reading the 7th?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Listenup
                                • Aug 2017

How can you read the first 6 without reading the 7th?
                                I'm reading 8th book(the one about their children), not 7th. Ofc i've read 7th a long time ago :D
                                “I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion.”
                                This is quoted from Yohji Yamamoto

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎