• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by LupinTheFourth View Post
    Sartre - La Nausée
    Please tell me how this is. I'm planning on reading it during Thanksgiving weekend (last week in Nov). Are you reading the original French or a translation?

EDIT: I'm guessing it's the original since you wrote the title in French.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

I just finished reading The Flood by Zamiatin, and I stongly recomend it to everyone. It' short and easy to read

I loved the congruence between the forces of nature and the power of human action born from feelings that are not at all intellectualised but rather express themselves physically, and make themselves understood through the body. This physicality of the human animal, and the things that make humans something other than animals, is really incredibly well rendered.

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
        • Aug 2009

INHO

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
        Please tell me how this is. I'm planning on reading it during Thanksgiving weekend (last week in Nov). Are you reading the original French or a translation?

EDIT: I'm guessing it's the original since you wrote the title in French.
        Nope, It's actually a Finnish translation. A good one I'd say.
        I'm half-way through with it and I've liked it alot.
        It's heavy, because of the plot/theme of the book, but I'd say it's rewarding.
        Because of the over-analytic description of experience, it's almost like you're within the main character's mind.
        I truly recommend this to you.
        modern man

Comment

• jgan85
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by gsamsa View Post
          Trying to finish a couple of stories I left over two years ago,of Laughable Loves (Kundera)
          ^ I must say that finishing that collection of short stories was a struggle for me - didn't find them enjoyable at all, in particular The Hitchhiking Game.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          The Tradition of the New - Harold Rosenberg
          ^ he also did an essay and interview on Willem de Kooning for the Abrams monograph, slipping in some of his own ideas about the purpose of art in general and painting in particular
          ________
          PENNY STOCKS TO BUY
          Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Sombre
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by LupinTheFourth View Post
            Nope, It's actually a Finnish translation. A good one I'd say.
            I'm half-way through with it and I've liked it alot.
            It's heavy, because of the plot/theme of the book, but I'd say it's rewarding.
            Because of the over-analytic description of experience, it's almost like you're within the main character's mind.
            I truly recommend this to you.
            Thank you. This is exactly what I was hoping you'd say. I borrow it from the library as soon as I have a chance.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Camus > Sartre

(Will continue with sweeping generalizations as I please)
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                • Aug 2009

No....

Don't say that.
                Still, I Would like to read some Camus' essays and I will.

C. G. Jung, now there's a good guy.
                I can't wait to get my hands on the new book.
                Hallucinations and voices in his head!!!
                I hope they will print the drawings and all.
                modern man

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Camus's Myth of Sisyphus was just as boring as Sartre's Huis Clos

that's all I've read from either, I really have very little interest in existentialism. Maybe because as a Parisian I has been crammed down my throat forever. It's cool if you enjoy it I guess, but there are far supperior but less known French authors of that time imo

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post

that's all I've read from either, I really have very little interest in existentialism. Maybe because as a Parisian I has been crammed down my throat forever. It's cool if you enjoy it I guess, but there are far supperior but less known French authors of that time imo
                    Wow, you just murdered me.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                      • Sep 2009

thank you Galia. I read Nausea and I felt nauseated.
                      http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• BSR
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        The Rise and Fall of the Will at L'Eclaurier, co-written by Christian and BSR.
                        A book to be read, of course. Don't skip the foreword by Sir Mailmoth, 'How I've learnt to love Paul Harnden and to forget about my wallet'.

Galia, you're so right about existentialists. BTW who are the French authors of this time that you like? I happen to love the previous decades and the following ones, but the French 50's mostly bore me.
                        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

that's all I've read from either, I really have very little interest in existentialism. Maybe because as a Parisian I has been crammed down my throat forever. It's cool if you enjoy it I guess, but there are far superior but less known French authors of that time imo
                          Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                          thank you Galia. I read Nausea and I felt nauseated.
                          Wow. I am gutted. I'll give my own review of Nausea in a couple of weeks when I can read it. I hope it's different from yours.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                            • Sep 2009

ok, is this The Rise and Fall of... a real book? I'd like to read it, but googling it leads me nowhere...

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                              • Aug 2009

boring?

I think there's a cultural difference.

The focus of things is a bit different here and the way of life differ from eg. French equivalents.
                              Therefore, no room for the importance of a personal experience. <-For a self-centered person(like me) existentialism is a fine subject! among other things.

You wanna name a few less-known authors? I'm interrested to know more.
                              modern man

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                                • Sep 2009

"I can't say I feel relieved or satisfied, just the opposite, I am crushed. Only my goal is reached: I know what I have to know; I have understood all that has happened to me since January. The Nausea has not left me and I don't believe it will leave me so soon; but I no longer have to bear it, it is no longer an illness or a passing fit: it is I."

- Sartre

I, personally, don't see what's so great about being nauseated. Not to discount the importance of the book though, or Sartre in general...sure, it's great. But for me it reminds me of this Henry Miller quote:

"And so, like a dead horse whose master never tires of flogging him, I kept galloping to the farthest corners of the universe and nowhere finding peace, comfort or rest"
                                Last edited by genevieveryoko; 10-29-2009, 01:21 AM. Reason: corrected the quote

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎