• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: What are you reading?

[quote user="Avantster"]Just finished reading The Beautiful Fall by Alicia Drake. Interesting perspectives on Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Paris in the 1970s.
    [/quote]</p>

If you want an interesting perspective on Lagerfeld, read a chapter on Chanel in a book called Fashion Zeitgeist. He got completely annihilated - needless to say I love it. Actually I should go blurb it on my blog.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I'm about to start One Dimensional Man by Herbert Marcuse. Has anyone read it?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]If you want an interesting perspective on Lagerfeld, read a chapter on Chanel in a book called Fashion Zeitgeist. He got completely annihilated - needless to say I love it. Actually I should go blurb it on my blog.[/quote]</p>

Thanks, Faust. Is this the one you're talking about?</p>

The book I read painted Lagerfeld much like a shrewd business machine - sharp, intelligent, and a huge propensity to consume, process and output/discard, whether it be ideas, fashion, or even people. I'd love to read more about others views on him but I suspect this isn't the right thread!
        </p>
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

[quote user="Faust"]If you want an interesting perspective on Lagerfeld, read a chapter on Chanel in a book called Fashion Zeitgeist. He got completely annihilated - needless to say I love it. Actually I should go blurb it on my blog.[/quote]</p>

The book I read painted Lagerfeld much like a shrewd business machine - sharp, intelligent, and a huge propensity to consume, process and output/discard, whether it be ideas, fashion, or even people. I'd love to read more about others views on him but I suspect this isn't the right thread!
          </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yep, that's the one. I don't recommend buying it - the language is painfully academic, but she really let loose in the Chanel by Lagerfeld chapter. See if you can get it at a library.
          </p>

I don't have much to say about Lagerfeld - he is in the same league as Prada, Marc Jacobs and Tom Ford for me, all show and no go.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Good stuff, guys. </p>

I am reading the Lydia Davis translation of Swann's Way for the second time.
            </p>
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Good stuff, guys. </p>

I am reading the Lydia Davis translation of Swann's Way for the second time.
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

It's good anti-ADD practice, trying to hold those one page sentences down. I remember one of my professors saying something about Rememberance of Things Past, "blah, blah, Swann's Way, which is the only one that anyone reads anyway." I laughed because it's the only one I've read. One day, when I have a year off, I will read the whole thing! Proust is an incredible writer, him and Parisian women are the two reasons that make me wish I knew French. [:P]
              </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

So true. That's the problem--you can spend forever on one page or sentence, getting totally lost in the language. I actually took a Proust class a few years ago and got to read the whole thing in one semester. [:S] Hence I am reading it again. But the metaphors that found their way into my writing during that time period were simply astounding, lol.
                </p>

</p>
                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• nairb49
                  • Dec 2006

"clinical ethics" in prep for med interviews this weekend and next.

Comment

• mutterlein
                    • Dec 2006

I recently finished Ozama Tezuka's Ode To Kirohito and one of the volumes of his Phoenix Saga, "Nostalgia" was the title. <div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I'm about to get swamped in readings for school. I'm taking a history of textiles course that I'm sure will lead to some interesting literature to digest. </div>

Comment

• mutterlein
                      • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Avantster"]

[quote user="Faust"]If you want an interesting perspective on Lagerfeld, read a chapter on Chanel in a book called Fashion Zeitgeist. He got completely annihilated - needless to say I love it. Actually I should go blurb it on my blog. [/quote]</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Yep, that's the one. I don't recommend buying it - the language is painfully academic, but she really let loose in the Chanel by Lagerfeld chapter. See if you can get it at a library.
                      </p>

I don't have much to say about Lagerfeld - he is in the same league as Prada, Marc Jacobs and Tom Ford for me, all show and no go. </p>[/quote]
                      <div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>Ah hah! The costume collection I work at has this book but i've never bothered to thumb through. I'll definitely be reading it now. </div>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ Yea, check it out. I think much of it is contrived in the worst academic fashion, but there are some interesting points nonetheless. She's definitely an erudite. I found the chapter on Margiela fascinating, and the chapter on Helmut Lang complete bullshit.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pbt
                          • Jan 2007

To Say the Least. Anthology of short Canadian poems edited by P.K. Page.<DIV>About half way through it. Funniest line so far comes from Malcolm Lowry (who's not all that Canadian), first lines of Trinity:</DIV><DIV>Imprisoned in a Liverpool of self</DIV><DIV>I haunt the gutted arcades of the past.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>

Comment

• hanajibu
                            • Jan 2007

The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoevsky, the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation -- the definitive one, in my opinion.

Comment

• kamsky
                              • Jan 2007

[quote user="hanajibu"]The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoevsky, the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation -- the definitive one, in my opinion.[/quote]</P>

so presumably you've read it more than once? it's on my to-read list, but i doubt i will get around to it this year.</P>

i can't think of the name of the translator (translators?) but i recently got the penguin classics edition of 'crime &amp; punishment' and will probably be reading it two or three months from now. i've only read 'notes from underground' and 'the double', so this seems like a good novel to continue reading dostoyevsky. are you familiar with any translations, and if so, do you have any preference?</P>

Comment

• dontbecruel
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="hanajibu"]The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoevsky, the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation -- the definitive one, in my opinion.[/quote]</p>

I am a pretty tough audience for novels in translation but I absolutely love their work. They did a beautiful new version of Anna Karenina for Penguin a few years ago and I also highly recommend a Chekhov collection they translated for Everyman called The Complete Short Novels (it's basically five of his longer stories).
                                </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎