Thread: What are you reading?

In my experience the best one. Much less unreadable, pseudo-magical-realism bullshit that ruins his writing for me.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Could anyone recommend good 20th/21st century scandinavian/icelandic literature?
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Quote Originally Posted by trentk View Post
    Could anyone recommend good 20th/21st century scandinavian/icelandic literature?

Sorry, I had to!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Is there a genre you're particularly interested in?

Whatever you think someone who reads lovecraft, borges, continental philosophy, huysmans, bataille, lispector, mann etc.. would like.
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard

‪Pär Lagerkvist‬ - The Dwarf

‪Vilhelm Ekelund‬ - (maybe too hard to find in English)

August Strindberg - Alone

Harry Martinson- Aimless Journeys

Björn Larsson - Dreams by the sea

Maybe you would like some of it.

"I have noticed that sometimes I frighten people; what they really fear is themselves. They think it is I who scare them, but it is the dwarf within them, the ape-faced manlike being who sticks up his head from the depths of their souls."
    - The Dwarf

stig dagerman is probably the best 20th century swedish author. I particularly recomment "a burnt child" and "german autumn".

Quote Originally Posted by galia View Post
    stig dagerman is probably the best 20th century swedish author. I particularly recomment "a burnt child" and "german autumn".
    +1...
    WTB Ann Demeulemeester X Elvis Pompilio hat
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...038#post482038

Whatever you think someone who reads lovecraft, borges, continental philosophy, huysmans, bataille, lispector, mann etc.. would like.
    too funny

Speaking of Swedish authors, I'm reading My Life as a Dog by Reidar Jonsson -- thoroughly enjoyable (As an aside, if you haven't seen the movie, I'd recommend it, but the book seems a more natural expression even when translated.)

I need a couple of books to put on the list for santa, any recommendations?

You'd have to tell us what you like, first

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

thanks for all the scandanavian lit recommendations, I have alot of books to check out now.

Quote Originally Posted by viv1984viv View Post
    too funny
    lol. if you haven't already read lispector, you should - she eats a cockroach in a mystical rapture in one of her books.

richard klein- cigarettes are sublime
    kobe abe- woman in the dunes
    maurice blanchot- the unavowable community
    iris murdoch- the sea, the sea

maybe a bit earlier, but knut hamsun's 'pan' (1894) is very good and in my opinion superior to his much more famous novel 'hunger'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissim View Post
    I need a couple of books to put on the list for santa, any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    You'd have to tell us what you like, first
    what's he got to do with it?

i recommend:

ain't no beauty queens in this locality

haha, i see.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

David Gates - Jernigan
    Robert Irwin - Satan wants me
    Mattew Stokoe - Empty Mile
    These thanks to the ramblings of Ken Bruen

Vampyroteuthis Infernalis, A Treatise, with a Report by the Institut Scientifique de Recherche Paranaturaliste
    This one thanks to that very thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipppp View Post
    ‪Pär Lagerkvist‬ - The Dwarf

‪Vilhelm Ekelund‬ - (maybe too hard to find in English)

August Strindberg - Alone

Harry Martinson- Aimless Journeys

Björn Larsson - Dreams by the sea

Maybe you would like some of it.
    The novel itself it from 1890, but I nevertheless also recommend norwegian Knut Hamsuns Hunger.

And of course Stig Larssons postmodernist The Autists, if only to confuse the feeble mind of your everyday Stieg Larsson reader. Growing up in the same town the both writers in spe actually knew each other. Since they then shared the same name - Stig - they used paper rock scissors, maybe lizard and spock as well, to decide which one had to change his name. Stieg lost.
    The morning is not enough.