(1928)

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Majax
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by sixledge View Post
        Reading the Stranger right now but does anyone have recommendations for someone who likes to read Henry Miller?

Finished almost all of his books....was thinking of going for some Anais Nin but have not read anything by her and don't know where to start.

Maybe you should say a bit more about what you like in Miller's books. I'm not sure Anaïs is a good bet, I mean that they were close does not mean you'll find anything comparable to Miller in her books.

Comment

• sixledge
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Majax View Post
          Maybe you should say a bit more about what you like in Miller's books. I'm not sure Anaïs is a good bet, I mean that they were close does not mean you'll find anything comparable to Miller in her books.
          I like his mixed writing style and how raw he comes off.

I just finished Siddhartha last night.

Now looking again for something new.

Comment

• Majax
            • Jan 2010

If I try to connect "raw" and style I would think about (nothing original) John Fante (especially The road to LA), Bukowski and (what you may like more) the novels of Jack Kerouac (like Vanity of Duluoz).

I'm realizing there is some kind of evident connection between Miller and Kerouac (I won't try to name it).

Now you named Hesse and as for Miller, I guess you can find some kind of "existential reflexion" in his books, that are not present at this point in other authors.

If you look for something "different" in style, I can tell you what was different for me :

Barthelme (short stories) ; Thomas Bernhard (Wittgenstein Nephew being a good one) ; Osamu Dazai (The Setting Sun : you may like it much considering what you mentionned, well it's just a bet ; No Longer Human) ; Beckett (the novels : any of them, some quite different in style from others) (maybe you'd like much Bernhard, a more risky bet though).

I was also striked by the litterary style of a thinker in a precise book (not difficult to read), Dialogue, Gilles Deleuze (there is something "raw" in a way), maybe you'd like it.

By the way, if someone can get an idea of why I like to read and advice me a good author I may not know, maybe because very contemporary etc. ; something like "different" in the writing style (or the atmosphere, etc.). I don't know who would be the good (to me, if there are some) contemporary Germans, for example (I know Hanke, also Frisch for the German-speakers).

(also in poetry in know quite nothing contemporary ; what I know and like is Bukowski, Burroughs, Cummings)

Hope it may help to find something that works for you !

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Heh, I can't think of two more disparate writers than Miller and Hesse.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

Barelling through this one...

Wish I could read German. Masse Und Mact sounds so much cooler.
                Originally posted by philip nod
                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• sixledge
                  • Dec 2011

If I try to connect "raw" and style I would think about (nothing original) John Fante (especially The road to LA), Bukowski and (what you may like more) the novels of Jack Kerouac (like Vanity of Duluoz).

I'm realizing there is some kind of evident connection between Miller and Kerouac (I won't try to name it).

Now you named Hesse and as for Miller, I guess you can find some kind of "existential reflexion" in his books, that are not present at this point in other authors.

If you look for something "different" in style, I can tell you what was different for me :

Barthelme (short stories) ; Thomas Bernhard (Wittgenstein Nephew being a good one) ; Osamu Dazai (The Setting Sun : you may like it much considering what you mentionned, well it's just a bet ; No Longer Human) ; Beckett (the novels : any of them, some quite different in style from others) (maybe you'd like much Bernhard, a more risky bet though).

I was also striked by the litterary style of a thinker in a precise book (not difficult to read), Dialogue, Gilles Deleuze (there is something "raw" in a way), maybe you'd like it.

By the way, if someone can get an idea of why I like to read and advice me a good author I may not know, maybe because very contemporary etc. ; something like "different" in the writing style (or the atmosphere, etc.). I don't know who would be the good (to me, if there are some) contemporary Germans, for example (I know Hanke, also Frisch for the German-speakers).

(also in poetry in know quite nothing contemporary ; what I know and like is Bukowski, Burroughs, Cummings)

Hope it may help to find something that works for you !
                  Great reply, thanks for the info. I'm going to do some poking around tonight based on what you provided.

I actually have been intrigued by Kerouac as well...

Comment

• sixledge
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Yeah...for sure, which is what has me digging for something more Miller esque now that I am finished.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't combine these two posts....how do you quote more than one person in a single reply?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                      Barelling through this one...

Wish I could read German. Masse Und Mact sounds so much cooler.
                      Barreling? I tried to drag my brain through it kicking and screaming and gave up.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                        • Apr 2008

Majax, read Hubert Selby Jr.
                        every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• MJRH
                          • Nov 2006

heh, that made me chuckle because Hesse was the first recommendation i thought of when i read sixledge's request for Milleresque fiction. both writers are concerned with overcoming ego, shattering inner obstacles, reeling through life looking for direction before realising life has no direction, the nature of identity, etc. in particular, the ending of Steppenwolf, with the shattering of the mirrors, recounts numerous passages in Miller. but as for respective temperaments... no, you really couldn't get any further apart!

i don't know whether you're already familiar with it, but Barthelme's reading recommendations, about a hundred of 'em, are available here. lots of zany goodness in there, which i myself dip into occasionally.

PS, both Majax and sixledge- both Miller and Hesse were heavily influenced by the East. read the Tao Te Ching if ya ain't already.
                          ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• sixledge
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
                            heh, that made me chuckle because Hesse was the first recommendation i thought of when i read sixledge's request for Milleresque fiction. both writers are concerned with overcoming ego, shattering inner obstacles, reeling through life looking for direction before realising life has no direction, the nature of identity, etc. in particular, the ending of Steppenwolf, with the shattering of the mirrors, recounts numerous passages in Miller. but as for respective temperaments... no, you really couldn't get any further apart!

i don't know whether you're already familiar with it, but Barthelme's reading recommendations, about a hundred of 'em, are available here. lots of zany goodness in there, which i myself dip into occasionally.

PS, both Majax and sixledge- both Miller and Hesse were heavily influenced by the East. read the Tao Te Ching if ya ain't already.
                            Ha...just picked up Tao Te Ching last night, hopefully dive into it later today.

It is interesting, the contrasting difference between Miller and Hesse. They are very different but there is something in both of them that I relate to in a similar way.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                              • Nov 2008

Barreling? I tried to drag my brain through it kicking and screaming and gave up.
                              Heh, well I'm big on Deleuze and Guattari, and Canetti wasn't quite as troubling as reading chapters like The Geology of Morals, the thesis of which is that "God is a lobster."
                              Originally posted by philip nod
                              somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MJRH View Post

I can only go by The Tropic of Cancer and it was all nihilism and muck and darkness, whereas Hesse is all about enlightenment.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎