Page 3 of 182 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Default Re: What are you reading?

i suggest Les caves du Vatican - 1914 (translated as Lafcadio&#39;s Adventures)</p>

it&#39;s a romp! a great introduction to gide, though nothing else that he has written resembles it.</p>

</p>

then read &quot;the counterfeiters&quot;</p>

</p>

he also wrote a deathbed book by the name of &quot;so be it!&quot; which should be required reading for anyone that plans to die</p>

</p>

there should be a list of favorite books written/unfinished by dying authors; denton welch&#39;s &quot;a voice through the clouds&quot; would be near the top of that heap-------and apparently, bataille&#39;s tears of eros was written while the man was dying...

</p>

</p>

</p>
    broken mirror, white terror

Tears of Eros is great--the best introduction to Bataille&#39;s work, I think. I am a huge fan of his writing on the Lascaux caves, which he overviews in the first chapter. I&#39;ll be curious to know what you think of the book!
    </p>

To the books written by dying--and French--authors list, I contribute &quot;Malady of Death&quot; by Marguerite Duras, who is also one of my favorite writers.
    </p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Re-reading, &quot;Delirious New York&quot; by rem koolhaas -- my favorite thing koolhaas has built or written</p>

recently read, &quot;Cannery Row&quot; by john steinbeck -- sweet and nostalgic (in mostly a good way)</p>

slowly reading, &quot;Perspective as Symbolic Form&quot; by erwin panofsky -- because I must know these things, and once you parse the language it can be quite interesting...</p>

almost finished and trying to let it linger, &quot;The Rings of Saturn&quot; by w. g. sebald -- I am a huge fan of sebald, i get incoherent with joy reading his books...
    </p>

I'm reading "Please kill me: the uncensored oral history of punk", quite an engrossing read, the book started with the Velvets and the factory scene, moved to MC5 and Iggy then through David Bowie came back to the New York Dolls and Patti Smith, wonder where it'll go next.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

These sound great! I'll try Gide right away, i'm intrigued. I'm just starting "Self" by Martel, a gift for me from my Oprah book club friend. </p>

In any case, I'll let you know how it goes with Gide!
    </p>

just stared E.M. Cioran's A Short History of Decay. It's really interesting, but a bit slow in the beginning.

past 2 weeks: on the road by kerouc, re-read 1984, reading junky by burroughs now.</P>

i seem to read at half the pace of the next person...</p>

i've been sitting on E.M. Forster's Aspects of the Novel for about a week or so now. i've been reading and re-reading passages...that's how fine his craftsmanship is, it really bears closer inspection - and these are only oral lectures. amazing. </p>

</p>

[quote user="tweedlesinpink"]

i seem to read at half the pace of the next person...</p>

i've been sitting on E.M. Forster's Aspects of the Novel for about a week or so now. i've been reading and re-reading passages...that's how fine his craftsmanship is, it really bears closer inspection - and these are only oral lectures. amazing. </p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Sounds like something I would enjoy. [Y]</p>

Don DeLillo - Cosmopolis. Not his best work.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'm definitely not a literature buff, but for the Christmas I'm reading Lucky Man, by Michael J. Fox, one of my big childhood heroes.

I just got 2 books, one is really super short already read a bit of it, The Trendmaster's Guide (Get A Jump On What Your Customer Wants Next) by Robyn Waters</P>

and..... Why We Buy (The Science Of Shopping) by Paco Underhill. Have not started this book yet.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Those sound interesting. Is the first one worthy of a purchase? I'm about to order a small truckload of books on amazon, so I might add a few more.

[quote user="thelion1856"]

I just got 2 books, one is really super short already read a bit of it, The Trendmaster's Guide (Get A Jump On What Your Customer Wants Next) by Robyn Waters</p>

and..... Why We Buy (The Science Of Shopping) by Paco Underhill. Have not started this book yet.</p>
    <p mce_keep="true"></p>

[/quote]</p>

is that a professional interest of yours?</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

[quote user="Seventh"]

Re-reading, "Delirious New York" by rem koolhaas -- my favorite thing koolhaas has built or written</p>

recently read, "Cannery Row" by john steinbeck -- sweet and nostalgic (in mostly a good way)</p>

slowly reading, "Perspective as Symbolic Form" by erwin panofsky -- because I must know these things, and once you parse the language it can be quite interesting...</p>

almost finished and trying to let it linger, "The Rings of Saturn" by w. g. sebald -- I am a huge fan of sebald, i get incoherent with joy reading his books...
    </p>

[/quote]</p>

Awesome reading list. I completely agree about the Koolhaas book--it's brilliant!</p>

Occasional Work and Seven Walks from the Office for Soft Architecture by Lisa Robertson. SO GOOD.
    </p>

</p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

[quote user="interman"]Those sound interesting. Is the first one worthy of a purchase? I'm about to order a small truckload of books on amazon, so I might add a few more.
    [/quote]</P>

Well the first one is a good book, yes. Its about 15 bucks brand knew i believe, but it is extreamly short. You can probly read the entire thing during a short barns and nobel visit. If u want to add it to your collection to look it over in the future its worthy i guess.</P>

Faust-</P>

No its not a professional interest but im the text book type reader, i dont like reading fiction books, my book intrest is strictly history type books (on anything), books on wine, books on physics, space, psychology, medical books, bizniz, philosophy ect. Always been like that. saw these 2 books at the bookstore and they looked interesting.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

having gotten forster out of the way on the plane, i picked up Noam Chomsky's "Imperial Ambitions: Conversations on the Post-9/11 World" while in bangkok...</p>

reading Philip Roth's American Pastoral at the moment though. trying hard to get through it - and not really succeeding. i mean, i love Roth and his passion, but it gets hard after awhile.
    </p>

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. Seems promising so far.

J.M. Coetzee - Elizabeth Costello

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I just picked up my first Ayn Rand last night. "Fountainhead" for 44 cents at Strands, it's practically free.

elephant vanishes - murakami