• zyphus29
    • Oct 2008

a Season in Hell & the Drunken Boat

Comment

• Jonn
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DHC View Post
      Kafka On The Shore
      same here. been trying get into the realm of human psychology but fyodor dostoevsky is a tough one to begin with. gonna start with something more accessible

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by makeupexpression
        the tipping point...
        how to make a little difference in little things
        the tipping point: how to make an entire forum turn against you because you are a disrespectful douche.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Thanks, Fuuma. I ordered it a few days ago from Amazon.
          Nice choice, justine. If you are curious, the book that inspired BNW is called We, by Yevgeniy (Eugene) Zamyatin.
          You ordered "name of the rose"? Try wikipediating about heresies and the conflict between John XXII and emperor Louis IV or you'll miss most of the historical context.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

the tipping point: how to make an entire forum turn against you because you are a disrespectful douche.
            I did read the tipping point, took me about 1 hrs and I'll never get it back. Probably one of the least intellectually rigorous book ever written. I think a critic said his next book made "the tipping point" sound like Critique of pure reason so I'm sorta morbidly curious.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
              I did read the tipping point, took me about 1 hrs and I'll never get it back. Probably one of the least intellectually rigorous book ever written. I think a critic said his next book made "the tipping point" sound like Critique of pure reason so I'm sorta morbidly curious.
              My post was in response to makeupexpression who posted "i am reading tipping point: how little things change big things" to rack up post count in order to start selling in classifieds. I then deleted the post, and now my post is out of context :-)

Thanks for the advice on the name of the rose. I know a little bit about the conflict you mention.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

My post was in response to makeupexpression who posted "i am reading tipping point: how little things change big things" to rack up post count in order to start selling in classifieds. I then deleted the post, and now my post is out of context :-)

Thanks for the advice on the name of the rose. I know a little bit about the conflict you mention.

Another interesting dude of the time.

Comment

• mamaboy
                  • Mar 2008

o proust again!? yes... no...yes...no... yes!yes!!yes!!!!
                  but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                    • Mar 2008

sorokin "saharnii kreml"--...my boy...

Comment

• mamaboy
                      • Mar 2008

pelevin 5p

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

Bought these yesterday. I Citibank and their Thank You program Amazon gift certificates. I need a third book case

• 1 of: The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage International)
                          Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
                        • 1 of: The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde: Stories, Plays, Poems & Essays
                        • 1 of: The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism
                        • 1 of: The Bonfire of the Vanities: A Novel
                        • 1 of: Summer in Baden-Baden
                        That's an interesting book, especially in these times, if an economic disaster brings serious breakdown of western societies ...
                        Milton Friedman and his chicago boys really got around.

Always Proust, mamaboy!

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                          pelevin 5p
                          He was amusing 8 years ago...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                            • Jan 2008

Quoting Caravaggio: Contemporary Art, preposterous History Mieke Bal(1999)

The traditional notion of "influence" is amazingly persistent. Although the logic of influence has been deconstructed, reinvented and reversed by several critics during the last seventy years, many people can't resist its attraction. T.S. Elliot challenges it elegantly in his 1919 essay "Tradition and the Individual Talent":

Whoever has approved this idea of order (...) will not find it proposterous that the past should be altered by the present as much as the present is directed by the past

Or more radical put by art historian Michael Baxandall:

But influence I do not want to talk about

Elliot propose a reverse mechanism, not instead of it, but next to it; the past is also altered by the present, while for Baxandall "influence" is a curse of art criticism primarily because of its wrongheaded grammatical prejudice about who is the agent and who is the patient: it seems to reverse the active/passive relation which the historical actor experiences and the inferential beholder will wish to take into account.

If one say that X influenced Y it does seem that one is saying that X did something to Y rather than Y did something to X. But in the consideration of good pictures and painters the second is always the more lively reality

As Baxandall sugest, in the case of any "good" artist, it is not only he/she who is the agent instead of the patient, but the kind of activity which he performs on the work of the predecessor is much more diverse and complex than what is implied by the shallow term "influence":

If we think of Y rather than X as the agent, the vocabulary is much richer and more attractively diversified: draw on, resort to, avail oneslf of, appropriate from, have ressource to, adapt, quote, differentiate oneself from, assimilate oneself to, assimilate, align oneself with, copy, address, paraphrase, absorb, make a variation on, revive, continue, remodel, ape, emulate, travesty, paraody, extract from, distort, attend to, resist, simplify, reconstitute, elaborate on, develop, face up to, master, subvert, perpetuate, reduce, promote, respond to, transform, tackle ...-everyone will be able to think of others

The complex way in which art acts upon predecessors suggests that it is not so much the present but rather the past which is conditioned by a perpetual flux. It is precisely this idea that is elaborated by Mieke Bal in her 1999 book "Quoting Caravaggio: Contemporary Art, preposterous History". reading contemporary art works in their relation to Caravaggio or other baroque works, she demonstrates the idea that art's engagement with what came before it, involves an active reworking of the predecessor.

Hence, the work performed by later images obliterates the older images as they were before that intervention and creates new versions of old images instead.

If we take Eliot's, Baxandall's and Bal's critigue of the idea of influence into account, it entails a major shift in the discourses of art(every artform!). It breaks down the hierarchy constituted in the shallow term "influence", and we are left with much more interesting questions. We can now start to see/read art for what art should be, a reinvention/reconcentration of matter.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• raddy
                              • Oct 2008

What Remains - Kirino
                              Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
                              Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                                • Apr 2007

I envy you Faust, I am still too lost in post-modernism's foggy universe to begin with Mieke Bal, but I am as anxious as a little child waiting for christmas to see what she offers. Thanks for reminding me of her works!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎