• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

merz, you need to polish your polish.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

It has. I'm really impatient to get lost in the book

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

Read through Charles Burns' Black Hole for about the fourth time now. An absolute must-read of all recent sequential art* in my opinion.

* graphic novel**

**comic book
        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Vanna
          • May 2008

Rereading Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life and just started Notes From Underground.
          Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by EatBabies View Post
            Rereading Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life and just started Notes From Underground.
            if you find your mind wandering while reading the latter book skip straight to the second part...but don't put it down
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Almost at the end of the "Cocksucker Blues" segment of Underworld...it's interesting to watch a writer like DeLillo unravel his insights through his idiosyncratic style, best described by what one review on the front labeled "cerebral pyrotechnics"

That said, for this reason the book is also tough to read on a consistent basis for long stretches in a single sitting. I think with the time I've been on and off this book I already managed to go through the whole of 2666 a few months ago. Still a pretty fantastic and intriguing sprawl of a novel though.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Vanna
                • May 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                if you find your mind wandering while reading the latter book skip straight to the second part...but don't put it down
                You're being rather cryptic, but I'll remember your advice!
                Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• TarHeart
                  • Jun 2009

The Master and Margarita by Michail Bulgakov.

Comment

• mamaboy
                    • Mar 2008

becket on proust....or proust on becket .... something like that
                    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                      becket on proust....or proust on becket .... something like that
                      mamaboy, please remove your signature, before i remove you.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Alesha
                        • Apr 2009

I think goth ninja description now has to include a russian book pocking out of julius bag.

As for me, I am trying to reread Derrida's "Dissemination".

Oh yes my brain is fried...
                        Originally posted by interest1
                        I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

Apparently I'm not in a Maldoror mood, I gave it up and am now reading L'Art Romantique by Baudelaire. It's a collection of literary criticism articles, and it's really great. So far, my favourites are the one about Poe and the one about Flaubert, but evry single page is gold

Comment

• Sombre
                            • Jan 2009

Looking for some advice:
                            I've been thinking about reading more deeply about existentialism and nihilism. Of course the usual suspects Nietzche, Kafka, Kierkegaard, and Dostoyevsky come up. The Metamorphosis would come first because I've read excerpts and am itching to read the whole thing. Then Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Notes from Undergound would probably follow.

The alternative is La Divina Commedia in the original Italian. I haven't practised Italian in some time, and certainly this would be a much more ambitious endeavour than delving into existentialsim and nihlism, but it would definitely help my suffering Italian.

As I get only 3 weeks of summer vacation this year, tackling both is not feasible. Which one should I attempt?
                            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                            I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                              Almost at the end of the "Cocksucker Blues" segment of Underworld...it's interesting to watch a writer like DeLillo unravel his insights through his idiosyncratic style, best described by what one review on the front labeled "cerebral pyrotechnics"

That said, for this reason the book is also tough to read on a consistent basis for long stretches in a single sitting. I think with the time I've been on and off this book I already managed to go through the whole of 2666 a few months ago. Still a pretty fantastic and intriguing sprawl of a novel though.
                              Finished this today,

On the stretch of the last 100 pages, particular the epilogue, found myself going into a kind of trance where I became unaware of anything else outside the book. Happened to me with my favorites like Immortality and 2666. Whoever reviewer said the novel can do a good fucking job (paraphrase) of getting the human condition was spot on.
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                                Looking for some advice:
                                I've been thinking about reading more deeply about existentialism and nihilism. Of course the usual suspects Nietzche, Kafka, Kierkegaard, and Dostoyevsky come up. The Metamorphosis would come first because I've read excerpts and am itching to read the whole thing. Then Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Notes from Undergound would probably follow.

The alternative is La Divina Commedia in the original Italian. I haven't practised Italian in some time, and certainly this would be a much more ambitious endeavour than delving into existentialsim and nihlism, but it would definitely help my suffering Italian.

As I get only 3 weeks of summer vacation this year, tackling both is not feasible. Which one should I attempt?
                                In the summer? None. I'd go for something more epicurean, like Wilde. That "and" in the first sentence is strange. What does existentialism have to do with nihilism?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎