X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    In the summer? None. I'd go for something more epicurean, like Wilde. That "and" in the first sentence is strange. What does existentialism have to do with nihilism?
    Existentialism = the individual's struggle to find meaning in the (seemingly pointless) world.
    Nihilism = a world without meaning. The existentialist struggle could come from an essentially nihilistic existence. It's certainly a possibility that Nietzsche and Kierkegaard explored.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Ok. That's not how I see it :-)
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
        • Jan 2009

How do you look at it?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Existentialism = knowing that meaning is within oneself and that responsibility for one's actions falls on oneself. It is essentially moral. Nihilism = denying any meaning. It is essentially amoral.

I guess the only similarity I see is that both views deny god's existence, which is fine by me (but not for Kierkegard). I am much closer to Camus and Kafka in that respect than to Kierkegard or Dostoyevskiy. Maybe that's why Camus has always resisted the existentialist label.

BTW, I am not saying you are wrong - these are broad topics (especially existentialism).
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
            • Jan 2009

^That's another way of looking at it. I welcome differences of opinion - that's one of the great enjoyments of literary critique.

Comment

• Bosozoku
              • Sep 2008

Today started Haruki Murakami's only non-finction novel he has ever written [B][B]Underground: the Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche.

Comment

• mamaboy
                • Mar 2008

haruki murakami in fashion would be united colors of beneton ....or its kundera ?
                baudelair "les morts...les pauvre morts"
                but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• jamesd
                  • Sep 2008

Just finished The Winter of Our Discontent. Nice little book, clean, crisp language.

Comment

• Alesha
                    • Apr 2009

Did someone say Nihilism? Skip old uncle Friedrick, and go streight to epic climax of meaninglessness - Jean Baudrillard. I'd recomend to start with "America".
                    Originally posted by interest1
                    I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• Sombre
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
                      Did someone say Nihilism? Skip old uncle Friedrick, and go streight to epic climax of meaninglessness - Jean Baudrillard. I'd recomend to start with "America".
                      Thanks Alesha. I'll definitely check it out.

On a related note, I read Metamorphosis on Sunday. Maybe I should take Faust's advice and read something a bit more jovial, at the very least interspersed between these readings. The book almost had me in tears at one point. I don't think I've ever felt as much sorrow/sympathy for a protagonist as I did for Gregor. I didn't quite like the ending though. It was as if Gregor never existed, in human or insect form. As soon as he died he was forgotten, and there was never even a moment's mourning. I'm sure that was Kafka's intention, but it made the story all the more painful for me.

Very good translation job as well.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

That was the intention - to go all the way. Now read The Trial. Then polish it off with The Road and drown yourself in the ocean ;-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

after the elegiac tone of Underworld I think i'm ready for some slice of ass kicking take no prisoners prose...I'm thinkin brothers karamazov, anyone got other suggestions or is this good enough
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

good enough to kill yourself. go for it. perfect goth beach reading.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Vanna
                              • May 2008

Almost finished with Crime and Punishment. Next up, The Idiot.

F2B, if you do read TBK, remember to get the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. Unless you're reading in the original Russian.
                              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Classique
                                • Apr 2008

"[I]t happened that a girl with a dowry, a beautiful girl, too, and moreover one of those pert, intelligent girls in this generation..."

Mundane, Victorian romance > Contemporary relationships.

Admittedly, in literature.

"I once knew a young lady still of the last 'romantic' generation who, after several years of enigmatic love for a certain gentleman, whom , by the way, she could have married quite easily at any moment, ended up, after inventing all sorts of insourmountable obstacles, by throwing herself on a stormy night into a rather deep and swift river from a high bank somewhat resembling a cliff, and perished there decidedly by her own caprice, only because she wanted to be like Shakespeare's Ophelia. Even then, if the cliff, chosen and cherished from long ago, had not been so picturesque, if it had been merely a flat, prosaic bank, the suicide might not have taken place at all."

An Interptetation of: Art, poetry and life.

Misused?

1st. Page of 'Brothers Karamazov.' It is, a 12+ set of books.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎