• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

A magazine #4, curated by Jun Takashi review

So, after raving about A on my blog, before actually seeing it I know must get my foot out of my mouth. I thought it royally sucked. Such a downturn compared to the Yohji curated one (I didn't see the one curated by Margiela or Ackermann). It was so amaturishly done. There was almost nothing in terms of clothes, and very little in terms of good photography. The one editorial that actually featured clothes was decent, but otherwise the whole magazine is filled with Takashi's amature art pretensions. His drawings, while eye-catching, are stale. The dolls and furniture spreads were just plain silly. It was pretty disappointing overall.

http://www.modenatie.com/ (click on 04. A Magazine link)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • kavaj
    • Sep 2006

Re: A magazine #4, curated by Jun Takashi review

i have it too. first i just glanced through it. but when i really read it i was a bit disapointed too. but not as much as you were i think. it was quite interetsing to read about jun in the interview but it was way too short. not much about his clothes either. wellwell, you cant have evertything in this world. just feels like he is a bit over head when he is designing clothes, furniture and trying to compose his art. but still, he is a great designer, just hope he would have the time present a real mens wear show. maybe if i only could stop waisting his time on those other projects...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="kavaj"]i have it too. first i just glanced through it. but when i really read it i was a bit disapointed too. but not as much as you were i think. it was quite interetsing to read about jun in the interview but it was way too short. not much about his clothes either. wellwell, you cant have evertything in this world. just feels like he is a bit over head when he is designing clothes, furniture and trying to compose his art. but still, he is a great designer, just hope he would have the time present a real mens wear show. maybe if i only could stop waisting his time on those other projects...
      [/quote]

Yea, unfortunately, I think, with today's low standards for art in general, some people want to be a jack of all trades. It starts with pop-start and their inflated egos (jennifer lopez "acting", "singing", and "designing," etc.), but I hate to see it spilling over to the aspects of culture that purports themsevles to be deep. IMO, Jun is not a talented enough designer to dissolve himself in all these other projects. If I was in his place, I would continue to seek excellence in design and not spread myself thin. It all ends up looking rather amature.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kavaj
        • Sep 2006

well, i don't know much about art, but i see your point. maybe his time will come, but i bet everything he does is super-hyped in japan. i sure hope that you didnt compare jun to jennifer lopez! haha

Comment

• droogist
          • Sep 2006

Pretty harsh, faust.[:P] I found the magazine very satisfying, but then, having seen some of his other publications, I knew what to expect - and I was definitely not expecting a fashion magazine. The only real disappointment for me was the Svankmajer interview. (I like his films as much as the next art snob, but his endless stream of juvenile reductive Freudianism had me averaging about a cringe per sentence. Juvenile reductive Freudianisms are so much more palatable when delivered wrapped up in a movie, than when coming out of a man's mouth...)

Think what you will about Jun's many hobbies, I think it's far too simplistic to suggest that if only he would give up this "art" nonsense he would suddenly excel as a fashion designer. It's not like oil painting saps away your ability to take photographs. For a lot of people, creativity simply can't be thought of in terms of either/or, because creative processes usually feed off of - rather than detract from - each other. Judging from the close relationship between Jun's artwork and the clothing he designs, it seems pretty obvious that he's one of these people. I doubt whether he could even do one without the other - just have a look at the man's studio...

Besides, I like a lot of his art. Especially the dolls. [:D]

Comment

• xcoldricex
            • Sep 2006

i still need this magazine and the other three. shipping is way to expensive to order direct :P

Comment

• mass
              • Sep 2006

you can get them for $23/issue postage included from http://www.bruil.info.

Comment

• xcoldricex
                • Sep 2006

thanks for the heads up! you can get 20% off with a student ID also, good deal.

Comment

• Honey~Blade
                  • Sep 2006

I agree with droogist on this.

Whether horrendous or beautiful one may find his clothes, all his side "hobbies" are definitely part of his work process. I can probably understand the guy, I'm sorta a control freak myself when it comes to personal projects and I like to make everything in my own way and that rubs off on other things I do.I really enjoyed the magazine myself, maybe coz it was something I could relate to and perhaps at times things didn't make sense and weren't relevant to fashion on the surface.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="droogist"]Pretty harsh, faust.[:P] I found the magazine very satisfying, but then, having seen some of his other publications, I knew what to expect - and I was definitely not expecting a fashion magazine. The only real disappointment for me was the Svankmajer interview. (I like his films as much as the next art snob, but his endless stream of juvenile reductive Freudianism had me averaging about a cringe per sentence. Juvenile reductive Freudianisms are so much more palatable when delivered wrapped up in a movie, than when coming out of a man's mouth...)

Think what you will about Jun's many hobbies, I think it's far too simplistic to suggest that if only he would give up this "art" nonsense he would suddenly excel as a fashion designer. It's not like oil painting saps away your ability to take photographs. For a lot of people, creativity simply can't be thought of in terms of either/or, because creative processes usually feed off of - rather than detract from - each other. Judging from the close relationship between Jun's artwork and the clothing he designs, it seems pretty obvious that he's one of these people. I doubt whether he could even do one without the other - just have a look at the man's studio...

Besides, I like a lot of his art. Especially the dolls. [:D][/quote]

I'm a harsh critic [;)] I see what you are saying. At the same time, I wasn't asking Jun to stop doing all this creative stuff. I was only pointing out that these side projects are hardly magazine worthy. There is stuff you do for yourself and show to your friends, and there is stuff you put out there to be critiqued.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎