• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Those are pretty, the bottom pair.

He's been around for 20 years?!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• CENTRALE FRANKFURT
      • Feb 2010

even longer faust.....i really like his work.i´ve tried on some of the blazers at L´Eclarieur last time in paris.you really need to feel the clothes.I got told,that we had it from the beginning on here in the store,back in the days.I will try to get more facts.
      definitely wanna see the stuff in october from elena dawson.

Comment

• Chant
        Banned
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by CENTRALE FRANKFURT View Post
        i´ve tried on some of the blazers at L´Eclarieur last time in paris.you really need to feel the clothes.
        No, he does no need it.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
          No, he does no need it.
          I feel, I buy, and then I'm broke.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tyro
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by CENTRALE FRANKFURT View Post
            definitely wanna see the stuff in october from elena dawson.
            really looking forward to Elena's clothes too. From what I understand Paul has been doing shoes quite a long time, but the clothing is a recent (last 6 years or so) venture, that was started with Elena.

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

For those interested, Harnden was born in Canada in 1959. After gaining experience in the UK at John Lobb, he started his label crafting hand made shoes in 1987, eventually moving to Brighton in 1998 where he still works.

I believe you can identify his older pieces as they are tagged 'Handmade in Scotland' rather than England.
              let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Tyro
                • Nov 2008

to add to A's comments and correct my own, Paul Harnden Clothiers was founded in 2000, the clothing division of Paul Harnden Shoemakers.

Comment

• crouka
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  What I want to know is where Harnden comes from. Did he just walk into L'Eclariuer and IF and Lift and say, check out my expensive peasant stuff and they just went for it?
                  his pieces have never been available at lift.
                  what he did in the beginning as a london-based young independent shoemaker after one year apprenticeship with JL was making a round of visits to magazine editors with the samples. and the editor in chief of UK Elle had really taken to his work which naturally pulled some coverage there. then it seems that he started to have some orders.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks for the info, everyone.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Silver
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
                      Yep what SNAFU said is true!
                      He would only deal with REI personally! And it most def will be in DSM next season.

There is another funny little story about a store approaching him,but i will leave that for now.
                      Although the outcome was bloody hilarious! A true eccentric character to say the leats.
                      Any chance you could share that story with us now?... please!
                      http://research-development.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Monty76
                        • Sep 2006

Thought this would be more appreciated here rather than in good finds... on ebay right now... the women get all the cool pieces...

Comment

• orphée
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by BSR View Post

on a side note, to illustrate my first point, i have an anecdote on a Harnden's black ultra long jacket (the kind that makes Mailmoth look like a dreyerian priest) that i tried one day at l'E. I was admiring the very strange cut, with, as always with PH, a slim torso, and then, from the waist to the bottom of the jacket (which was around my ankles!), a series of random pleats and a bell-ish shape. A real cassock for a country priest, made of a harsh boiled wool, marvelous finish and touch... I started inspecting the interior, prepared for the best of the old cotton lining... and WTF! A zip, a motherfucker industrial, standardized, globalized zip! I wanted my inside pocket to be deep, closed by an old dirty button, but a shiny metal zip suddenly reminded me I was living in the 21st century and Harnden too, alas.
                          Well, Geoffrey B Small he is not. And for good reason. Let me illustrate with my own anecdote. Very late one night I happened to catch part of some sort of Swiss German stand-up comedy act...quite entertaining actually. The guy was elaborating on the difference in restaurant culture between the USA and the German-speaking areas of Europe. He began by giving a run-down of a typical US waiter spiel: 'Hi, my name is Melanie, I'll be your waitress tonight. Our chef has some wonderful signature entrees tonight, eg tuna prepared seven ways, wasabi bla,bla,bla.. followed by bla bla bla. Oh, and if you need anything else, just let me know,,,,oh and have you seen our amazing wine list, bla bla bla, all imported from you know where and made using you know what....oh, and if you sign up for our email notices, you get a special discount, blah blah blah.

And then the stand-up comic gave his rendition of a similar restaurant experience in Germany. Waiter comes to table and says: 'So'. That's it. Nothing more, and nothing less. People order, they eat, they enjoy.

So give me PH in all his glory -- even with the one-off zip (on the inside of the jacket, mind you). Sometimes less really is more.

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

I don't care about the waiter's behaviour.
                            I do care about the quality of the food.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

His long women's coats are probably the most beautiful ones I have ever encountered.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fenrost
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2009

thanks for posting, chin

really diggin the last look.
                                Last edited by fenrost; 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎