Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drexl
    • Sep 2006

Eastern Market also stocks Harnden I believe. Odd that there's no UK stockists, did Pollyanna drop him (or did they just remove his stuff from being sold online)?

Comment

• reborn
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by drexl View Post
      Eastern Market also stocks Harnden I believe. Odd that there's no UK stockists, did Pollyanna drop him (or did they just remove his stuff from being sold online)?
      I believe they dropped him because of the internet issue...I could swear I read that somewhere...maybe not.

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

L'eclaireur - Paris
        IF - New York
        Song - Vienna
        Harvey's - Berlin
        Eastern Market - Melbourne

The occasional piece pops up on yoox. Pollyanna used to stock him but they no longer do, online sales issue.

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Cool photo Avantster. Fuck ipods, get me a gramaphone.
        Is Paul still producing work at the moment?
        Yes, his last 'season' (if you can even call it that) was rather compelling, I've come to a new appreciation of his offerings.
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
          at some point you've to wonder if its a ploy to make the rich experience something unusual in getting his pieces by making them 'work for it'. why bother making something if you spend almost the same amount of effort on keeping it unknown.

i'm not saying things should be trumpeted from bell towers either, but such active effort in keeping your own work obscure seems to harbour some kind of ulterior motive.
          Can't we say the same thing about Carol?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
            ¤¤¤
            • Sep 2006

Again merzbow I think it's a personal issue, he's a bit of a hermit from what I understand and happy to live in his corner of the world, just quietly making clothes and shoes. Who knows, one might consider the possibility that he simply dislikes technology and doesn't want his work caught up in it.
            let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Side note - isn't it said that in today's consumer world we think that everything, absolutely everything is, or at least can be, marketing?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• surver
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                Again merzbow I think it's a personal issue, he's a bit of a hermit from what I understand and happy to live in his corner of the world, just quietly making clothes and shoes. Who knows, one might consider the possibility that he simply dislikes technology and doesn't want his work caught up in it.
                not so sure that he dislikes technology... would you say the boiled wool stuff he's been doing for PH as well as earlier for CDG is not technology? i would consider it is... albeit in a more crafts sense.

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

Faust brings up a great point there.

Originally posted by surver View Post
                  not so sure that he dislikes technology... would you say the boiled wool stuff he's been doing for PH as well as earlier for CDG is not technology? i would consider it is... albeit in a more crafts sense.
                  What I meant was virtual technology, the intangible world accessible through the transistors, diodes, resistors and capacitors of computers..

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
                    great discussion to be had on this, i think. i caught myself in the realisation of it as i was writing that bit earlier, but you're absolutely correct, i did think of it as marketing reflexively. where earlier men would attribute to divine intervention what they could not rationalise, we now have marketing in much the same capacity.
                    I teach two classes on that. Let's kick it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Buckwheat
                      • Sep 2006

I guess he just doesn't want you to find your wife over some random chat room, only to find out later that it's not working out for you.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ lol. speaking from personal experience, buckwheat?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

Marketing as the god of the gaps. I can see that actually. We assume, cynically, that because these people make clothes that everything they do (or don't do) is in some way designed still to sell those clothes. Maybe it isn't. Maybe they're just weird, and unflappable about how they want to sell the clothes. This isn't marketing in the sense of seeking to sell more volume. The volume is cut off at source. It is marketing though in the sense of controlling how the things are sold. "If you want to buy from me, you must walk the walk. It's not just a jacket, dumbass, it's a way of life. Please cut off your mobile phones, and while you're at it, buy a gramaphone. Only then can you wear my wool/linen mix peasantwear."

Comment

• JohnFG
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by reborn View Post
                            Maxfields
                            Harvey's Berlin

Comment

• orphée
                              • Apr 2008

Marketing points taken, but maybe we are reading too much into this. Maybe he just likes designing clothes and dislikes most of the retailers (at least online) or doesn't really need the extra money.

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

This is almost certainly right, but reading too much into things is what we do 'round here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎