Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Harnden

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    What news? Same fucking jacket, different season. At least the cuts have changed, and now they are more conforming to human anatomy.

I have to say, though I am not a fan of his work by and large, the jacket Avanster got is absolutely stellar. SBW has the same one, so something must be in the air. I woulnd't mind owning that too...
    Avantser, which jacket does Faust speaks of?

Welcome back, V!

Quote Originally Posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
    Avantser, which jacket does Faust speaks of?
    It's a four button wrinkled jacket in wool, with alternating textured panels, a classic Harnden cut with surgeon cuffs. Probably my favorite jacket since I acquired it. I posted a pic a while back in waywt.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I went down to his studio not too long ago before summer,
    its down a tiny tiny lane most people would miss, a few minutes from the beach, behind a pub, next to a Lingerie store.
    His studio has no signs on the door, just an old collection of nick nacks, some old old toys, old war signs etc, boxes pilled up saying AW 05, SS03, dusty and dirty god knows whats in them.
    It seems like a special place, he works for him self not for fashion
    obviously he has to deliver on time to keep the shops happy but he probally only sells to enough shops to cover his bar tabs around brighton. He works when he wants and when he needs to, you wont find him there 9-5 monday to friday.
    I liked the quirkyness the place seem to have; the fact he had a mouse hole cut out in the back of his gate, it was oversized a bit so probably for his dog or a cat he may have.
    If he could sell enough clothes in brighton then he probably would just do that, his work is his work. He doesn't sell it with any manifesto (unlike other people in fashion) so simply if we don't like it, don't feel its worth the money, then don't buy it.
    Wether i like his silhouette or garments, I can respect him, he is doing something so far away to normal fashion, its closer to the shoemakers you could see on the side of the road in India or Malaysia, this is all my personal opinion.
    Its a beautiful post, but there's something about it that I find rather sad and depressing..............
    I always felt that if one is going to work, even if the company is small and independent, there should be a certain "joy" to the environment. the description you gave, seems as if there is no joy or vibrancy to his working environment, and that to me is sad................
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

when happiness is immanent in what you do, when what you do itself is a libidinal work, instead of being sacrificed to meaning, purpose, result or future, etc, then maybe you don't need so much joy as an external support.
    or joy for him could be every little nature in his place as well as great one surrounding it. there might always be love and gratitude to the ground he is standing on. dionysus also represents reconciliation between humanity and nature.

a conductor would look strange on TV with the sound off. the gesture might make you feel sad while it is actually for the serene beautiful character of the music.
    if the inner music he (PH) is listening to was shared with us, I guess we would not feel it's sad.

rare pic of paul :P

Photobucket
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Crouka : well said !
    I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
    I can see a man with a baseball bat.

hahahha always knew mr harnden starred and styled last of the summer wine!

thanks as always crouka
    WTB: This

he looks like a hobo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds View Post
    he looks like a hobo
    I'm guessing it was meant to be a light hearted jab, that picture is definitely not Mr Harnden.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

only brits will get shye's joke

^
    There's what looks like a hobo in the Sartorialists photo-book. In the description the photographer tells of meeting a hobo in New York getting chatting to him and learning the hobo was the head of design or someone high up at Ralph Lauren. Since I've never seen PH I wondered if he'd joined a big label. I went into Ralph Lauren just to check their clothes were still shit - of course, they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Avantster View Post
    I'm guessing it was meant to be a light hearted jab, that picture is definitely not Mr Harnden.
    could have fooled me

[QUOTE=diamonds;185278]he looks like a hobo[/QU

He is no Hobo he is Compo!
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

thanks Asis,
    I like the idea and I am interested in seeing what she does but I don't like the website.............

why wont designers realize that people go to their sites to see their work and not some fancy artsy collage..............

I agree, i was straining my eyes to see the clothes, interesting that she co-founded Paul Harnden or ph clothers at least.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_herb View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I think some designers need to ask themselves 'what are these images designed to do?' - Subtle 'environment-setting' is fine but when you can't actually see the REAL work -the clothes- what are they trying to do?!
    Interesting nevertheless.
    I saw some amazing Harnden wool caps/hats on YJ recently - I just couldn't justify £250 for it though - does anyone by any chance have pictures of one, or know where I could get one from?
    I think that this kind of attitude has also extended into the way many designers create clothing itself and has led to the failure of many of businesses.
    I mean, a website should look like a catalogue, but there is no reason for it not to be both cool and still user friendly with the clothes taking front and center.........

I am glad I have this view because when I do my website I don't want to make this stupid mistake

Quote Originally Posted by zamb View Post
    why wont designers realize that people go to their sites to see their work and not some fancy artsy collage..............
    requoted for TRUTH

I've never forgiven myself for passing up on the PH messenger bag sbw331244 sold a wee while back.

still have the stab wounds on each thigh as a reminder.