Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Harnden

Default Re: Paul Harnden, Shoemakers

Though I can't help, perhaps you could use the sizing thread, malador.

[quote user="asho"]I work for a shoemaker in sydney who has in the past worked and lived with Paul Harnden. I hear some very interesting stories. From what he tells me it's Paul's wife who designs much of the clothes. He has a few look books/catalogues himself which are very interesting. At one point they were passport sized with line drawings of the shoes and clothes and now they have grown to A3.[/quote]

Wow. I can't believe I missed this. Tell me more!

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

thank you so much for the scan xadam.

not sure what else to say... You have probably heard of Andrew McDonald... His designs don't really follow PH's aesthetic but the quality is there. I think Andrew would like to get more experimental but Sydney doesn't have the avant garde community to make it financially viable.

I agree but I think Sydney is on another level entirely... we had a shop which stocked interesting labels, ccp etc, but it closed due to poor sales.

The other thing is that the pricing of bespoke/handmade shoes would exceed the retail of carpe diem, augusta and poell etc, making it very hard to compete, especially from a place as philosophically remote as Sydney...

to further this I feel that the ethnicity of a designer plays some role in their market appeal. Think of the Belgians alone. I'm not sure too many people the world over would jump at the chance to by a pair of shoes for $2000 from an Australian designer. Perhaps the Harnden association would help as it does those who have been involved with Cdiem...

Last edited by pipcleo; 09-01-2010 at 01:50 AM.

[quote user="asho"]to further this I feel that the ethnicity of a designer plays some role in their market appeal. Think of the Belgians alone. I'm not sure too many people the world over would jump at the chance to by a pair of shoes for $2000 from an Australian designer. Perhaps the Harnden association would help as it does those who have been involved with Cdiem...
    [/quote]

I think the Belgians were the last breed that cut out the name for themselves by their creations and not by PR. I think the industry has changed, and this will happen very rarely. Like merz said, I don't think it much matters where you are from - right connections are needed more.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

[quote user="pipcleo"]

the shoes on his site are like dead fish

for the zegna wearing rolex owner

[/quote]

I would tend to agree, but think its funny considering the designer himself tends to wear drkshdw, margiela and helmut lang with his own designs...

not sure if this is a thread about Paul Harnden, or shoemakers, or both ... in any case I have to agree with pipcleo and others - I visited Andrew McDonald's store on a trip to Sydney recently and was rather underwhelmed. Didn't look too much different from the 'orrible stuff you can get inAquila for one tenth the price. Although the quality looked good, I can't comment on the fit orcomfort 'coz, in the 10 minutes or so I spent in the store, no-one appeared to offer any assistance!

P.S. asho and new_dawn_fades - you make shoes?!? I think you have my dream job!

Default Paul Harnden Shoemakers

paulharndenshoemakers.com
    video: Analysis of Leather

couldn't find this thread so I'm starting a new one. (Faust, did you delete it? )

xadam posted some scans of the lookbook from few seasons ago before so I hope he post them again once he returns from Paris.

Great picture.
    Original thread is here, Tiger.

oh shit

no problema
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

As people may already know or not, you can no longer buy PH online anymore due his wishes.. so as far as i know, Pollyanna no longer stocks his clothing due to this fact.. so i was wondering if people have any pics/gossip on the current season????

I have a question - why is he so anal?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I have a question - why is he so anal?
    I met him in a small ale pub where i live, and after to many ales i plucked up the courage to go chat to him.. he was nice although very suspicious of me at first, he's more paranoid and cagey than anal.. he was nice in the end though!

Maybe he's just trying to keep a clean and quiet corner in this shit universe - I understand that. I just don't see how the Internet damages that.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Agreed.. it wasn't that his stuff was easy to get hold of in the first place, let alone now!!.. i guess some people are just anti internet, it's tough one to argue.

I was told by Pollyanna that "he couldn't deliver this season due to maunfactory problem". I was looking forward to his tweed/wool items for this winter.

But I noticed that other online stores/blogs are no longer posting his current collection. Reason is like metioned that he doesn't want to have his products shown on the web.

If you checked out some of the current/last month Japanese fashion magazines, there are highlights of his current season. Same old PH stuff. A patchwork blazer looks very nice.