Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHYE_POSER
    • Mar 2009

Cjbreed- Funny, but rather an obvious choice of images. If you look harder at his collections you can see similar influences. Johnny boy dresses differently with each collection. He lives and breaths each of his collections untill the runway show, and then like the jigga man 'on to the next one'.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I don't think most people discussing this were hating on Galliano (well, apart from a couple of snide remarks about his style..), but I at least was talking more about the effect his words had.

I'm just guessing, but I have a feeling that the NYmag blogger had never (or barely) heard about Harnden before his name was brought up in the interview, and in between googling his name and writing that article stub he certainly didn't have time to get acquainted with his work. Then, another blogger/writer sees this newsbit, instantly copies it and voila - this is how hype is born. they werent writing about him before.

I don't think the hype we have here is exactly comparable to that of the media. I at least want to think that its a bit more genuine and has more to do with the actual product as well as craftmanship and design, as opposed to being totally aritificial and based on what some celebrity days.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

came to mind ...

"The celebrity, the spectacular representation of a living human being, embodies this banality by embodying the image of a possible role. Being a star means specializing in the seemingly lived; the star is the object of identification with the shallow seeming life that has to compensate for the fragmented productive specializations which are actually lived."

Comment

• Raw Edge
          • Jan 2008

please, make it stop.
          make it stop.

this is insane. for the love of god stop.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
            • Mar 2009

LOWREY: I agree with you in most of your points.
            We must remember that it is the journos job to jump on little stories like this. Yes therE may be some very minimal media hype about PH, but nothing quite like the sort of hype we see on this and possibly other forums.

PH is not alone on this one. Julius SS09? collection featured in men.style.com, then it was never seen again. The same with Damir. The mass media jump on something that they find new/edgy /exciting, yet their readership do not connect with it. So the next season, back to saying how the suit is making yet another comeback as everyday wear etc etc

Things are forgetten about as fast as they are written about, in many cases. I dont think this is any different.

Yes i do agree that majority of people on the forum do appreciate, design, concept, and craftsmanship. But for every one of these people, there are 5+ people who are just jumping on a bandwagon, and are searching for aknowledgement from their online peers.

For example, i think it was dhc or avantster who said that fashion is a tactile experience. which is a very true statement.

Which brings me to my final point. Fashion/clothing is a tactile experience, so how can people who have (like the journaslists) never seen,tried or felt a PH garment in real life, wax lyrical about his work?

As we all know here(esp in the waywt thread), static images do not do many garments justice. The only way to fully appreciate a piece is to do with it, what was originally intended. Which is try it on, feel it, wear it.

SNAFU- you don't even know what that quote is trying to say :p
            merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

Shye don't worry il explain it to you later.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                • Mar 2009

i got it, i was just twisting your testes a bit.

Pint later?

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
                  please, make it stop.
                  make it stop.

this is insane. for the love of god stop.
                  lulz

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

Shye;

all true, and as I mentioned earlier I don't think there is much threat from this to PH.

but its still annoying to see this sort of press. I'm only an amateur journalist, but I've considered it vital to know what I write about and thats why I don't write about labels I haven't experienced in person at least to some extent. Same goes for copy-pasting which is what 95% of blogs do. so I guess for me its more of a general gripe towards fashion media rather than this particular case.
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                      • Mar 2009

Thats why people enjoy reading yours and Fausts write ups rather than some bloggers and other media.
                      Because within your write ups, you can feel that there is a passion, love and understanding of the garments.

Which makes it an informative and enjoyable read.
                      So i completely understand your frustration with such "news".

Enough of my ramblings, im off to read style bubble !

Comment

• Peasant
                        • Jul 2009

These journalists scramble to come up with topics. They're bound to delve into the lesser known from time to time. Doubt it will do much for Paul merely based on production. I can't imagine that he'll double his staff and / or work them harder to produce more for boutiques he doesn't really back.

And what's with all the 'who are you to judge..' talk? An integral part of this forum is judgment. Judge the clothes, designer, fit, fabric, quality, shops, sellers, looks (HOF), absolute minute details, etc...

Galliano surely knows more about fashion and PH than I. And he may have been great. But currently the dude looks like a fucking clown. And that's a cover I'll gladly judge before reading on.

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

God, as if the NY Mag and WWD readers who are now googling Paul Harnden, and then stumbling into this very thread didn't think we were weird/obsessed enough BEFORE these articles got published...

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            Shye;

all true, and as I mentioned earlier I don't think there is much threat from this to PH.

but its still annoying to see this sort of press. I'm only an amateur journalist, but I've considered it vital to know what I write about and thats why I don't write about labels I haven't experienced in person at least to some extent. Same goes for copy-pasting which is what 95% of blogs do. so I guess for me its more of a general gripe towards fashion media rather than this particular case.
                            Oh, if you knew where Scoute's articles have been ending up lately, you would think of yourself as a professional! Or shut the shop down.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                              God, as if the NY Mag and WWD readers who are now googling Paul Harnden, and then stumbling into this very thread didn't think we were weird/obsessed enough BEFORE these articles got published...
                              I love it.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• doldrums
                                • Dec 2008

back to pics

before the PH jacket bird flu hit SZ (and me of course), the PH shoe obsession was in full force and certainly worth a re-look by everyone else.

Harveys sent me these pics a few years back, figured i'd unload some (unfortunately no longer ships overseas as he was my carpe and ph footwear source):

Last edited by doldrums; 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎