Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

I'm almost 100% sure you're wrong. The button-backs are imperfectly sewn on every PH garment I own. Does the fact that the stitch is off-center indicate it's not as sturdy? That it's more prone to fall off? The thread isn't strong?. It's like saying "These jackets have wrinkles in them! Did some maniac *wash* them?! The designer must really not give a fuck!"

Comment

• copacetic
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
      I'm almost 100% sure you're wrong. The button-backs are imperfectly sewn on every PH garment I own.
      What do you mean, "imperfect"? Are we saying it's intentional or not?
      And "When the prince has gathered about him
      "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
        I'm almost 100% sure you're wrong. The button-backs are imperfectly sewn on every PH garment I own. Does the fact that the stitch is off-center indicate it's not as sturdy? That it's more prone to fall off? The thread isn't strong?. It's like saying "These jackets have wrinkles in them! Did some maniac *wash* them?! The designer must really not give a fuck!"
        In this case it looks like the support system is not functioning whatsoever, as only a small part of the stitching is in place on the leather piece, with most of it being on the fabric. From the photo it does look like it's not as sturdy and prone to fall off.

On a side note, I think it doesn't really need much focus and attention to sew it in a more "perfect" way so that would make this a conscious choice.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• surver
          • Oct 2007

i agree with mikenouveau on this. the skewed stitching must be intentional... and so far that has not affected any of our PH buttons, has it? has anyone's jacket buttons fallen off due to 'imperfect' stitching a la bad quality control?

what about all the [very intentional] 'built-in' imperfections of unfinished seams and running threads of altieri, amadei, luarini, etc etc etc?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Well, I gotta say - a button fell off while I was trying that awesome silver fabric blazer at L'E. And the coat from the same fabric that my girlfriend was trying on had a leather tab missing on one of the buttons (probably fell off and was resown).
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• surver
              • Oct 2007

oh...

Comment

• MikeN
                • Nov 2007

never happened to me

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                What do you mean, "imperfect"? Are we saying it's intentional or not?
                yes, intentionally imperfect

Comment

• Reveries
                  • Feb 2011

Thank you for the photos seenmy. I haven't had any buttons fall off yet but the like Faust, the leather tab on one of my jacket sleeves is missing.

Comment

• eton97
                    • Dec 2008

you all get spare buttons and spare leather tabs with the jackets...

all buttons fall off eventually........its hardly a sign of bad tailoring or lazyness....not many would add a leather disc to help strengthen the attachment
                    whole arms fall off some xxx pieces....
                    Last edited by eton97; 03-02-2011, 04:53 AM.
                    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                      I don't agree, but whether I like what he's doing or not is not important. In my opinion, conveying the "imperfect" qualities of clothing by essentially doing things wrong can be very superfluous and kitsch, because it all goes down to unnecessarily making a piece of clothing not as good in terms of quality in order to make a statement. For what it's worth, I don't think he wanted to convey anything like that; the person who stitched that button was either drunk or didn't bother fixing a simple mistake.
                      we are talking about button backings here, which are an optional component to begin with. its not like an entire seam on the coat is poorly done and would cause either a fucked up fit or is prone to breaking. I haven't found any fault in the construction of my PH pieces. its pretty obvious that with ruched hems, pieces of lining with writing on them and all, he is not aiming for a perfected look. its not really that much faster to sew each button backing off-center compared to centered, which would support the idea that its intentionally done "left handed".

what goes for the person who stitched it being drunk, if it was Paul himself its more than likely.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• the breaks
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                        all buttons fall off eventually........its hardly a sign of bad tailoring or lazyness....
                        Then what is it a sign of? Help me understand. I can't remember the last time I've had a button fall off of any jacket I own and none of them cost as much as PH.
                        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• ES3K
                          • Oct 2008

At least with me, buttons tend to loosen and/or fall off jackets all the time, any brand.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
                            you all get spare buttons and spare leather tabs with the jackets...

all buttons fall off eventually........its hardly a sign of bad tailoring or lazyness....not many would add a leather disc to help strengthen the attachment
                            whole arms fall off some xxx pieces....
                            But not when I am trying it on Anyway, it doesn't much bother me.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                              • Aug 2008

Seriously. Is the attachment of a button going to really affect your overall feelings toward the piece and the designer? It's almost as inane as having a discussion about zippers.

Comment

• ES3K
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                But not when I am trying it on (...)
                                You should size up!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢