Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRRRK
    • Aug 2009

I think his blazers look like some stuff from 100 years ago. Which is not a bad thing, but i would prefer GBS over PH any time, because GBS has a modern twist and recycling fabrics is something i love.
    I can see the intention of doing something new in most of the designers discussed here, but not in PH. I could find something similar in second hand shops, probably not the quality or the craftsmanship, which i like, but definitely the look of the clothes. As an architect, i like craftsmanship and nice details, but i would never try to reproduce buildings or designs from some decades ago. If i want something to look like in the past, I'd go for old buildings and not build something that looks like it is from the past. Just my attitude.

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

couldn't agree more, i'd buy a modern home or an ancient victorian but not a new construction made to look like an old victorian

Comment

• Reveries
        • Feb 2011

One of the great appeals to me for Harnden is you don't have to be so meticulous when wearing and washing his jackets. You can just throw it in the washing machine along with the rest of your laundry and it's going to come out fine.

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

^^ the new wax cotton jacket says "do not wash"

Comment

• move_ment
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
            That should transferred to the HOF thread. If any belong, this does. So good.
            agreed - this is epic. I also love how those grey hairs are working in your favor.

Comment

• Reveries
              • Feb 2011

Of course it depends on treatment and composition silk/leathers etc. but a lot of his cotton cotton/wool blend jackets are actually machine washable

Originally posted by danman
              Ive been banned already for posting comments in the wrong sections because I cant seem to find the rules anywhere..

Wanna know what I should do to clean my linen blazer..

DRY CLEAN?
              Then why would you post this again here? I was talking more about the appeal of PH not the washing per se.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wire.artist
                not long ago people were comparing PH to historical customs and chimney cleaners and making jokes about it. And I don't see much change since 2005? when I first tried on his garments at L'E.

I think his work it's really distinctive and it can't be emulated using historical clothing. I always had the same opinion, also that his clothing doesn't work on me at all.

It's like Tezuka's Metropolis based on Fritz Lang's poster. It has connections with the past but it's an interpretation with many innovations to achieve that dreamt image.
                I have to disagree. I think the cuts have changed dramatically in the last two years. Again, I am not drinking the kool-aid - most of it still costumey and too literal of a historical interpretation, but the blazers now fit perfectly. I am only partial to the long blazer which has that beautiful Edwardian fit - they actually remind me of Ann's tailoring. I got one, and I doubt I will be getting another PH piece (unless a hopscotch will magically materialize at a good price).

And, well, the womens coats are amazing, but I've always liked them.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                  I think his blazers look like some stuff from 100 years ago. Which is not a bad thing, but i would prefer GBS over PH any time, because GBS has a modern twist and recycling fabrics is something i love.
                  I can see the intention of doing something new in most of the designers discussed here, but not in PH. I could find something similar in second hand shops, probably not the quality or the craftsmanship, which i like, but definitely the look of the clothes. As an architect, i like craftsmanship and nice details, but i would never try to reproduce buildings or designs from some decades ago. If i want something to look like in the past, I'd go for old buildings and not build something that looks like it is from the past. Just my attitude.
                  I see your point and indeed have made the same one in the past.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• surver
                    • Oct 2007

PH knit cardigan shirt

our discussions seem to focus on only PH's jackets but i'd like to ask if anyone has any experience with this knit cardigan shirt? it's an interesting 'design' albeit the silly backpocket but i like it precisely because of it... can't seem to find this for sale anywhere...

what's the sizing like? is it cut loose like his shirts or fitted?

[the fit-pics are from this scammer on superfuture called '14thfan' that i tried to buy the shirt from once but it never arrived and the dude just dropped off the planet; luckily i got my payment reversed by paypal, as did a number of buyers who were scammed by him at the same time. for reference, these are the names he goes by besides 14thfan on superfuture - Peter K; Korapat K'; nungchi@yahoo.com; twobadcat@yahoo.com (his paypal account) - in case anyone runs into him]

Comment

• copacetic
                      • Nov 2010

Want to weigh in, but don't know much about PH historically.

Some help before I comment more: has PH been doing that signature ruching in the backs of his blazers from the very beginning?
                      And "When the prince has gathered about him
                      "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• eton97
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                        has PH been doing that signature ruching in the backs of his blazers from the very beginning?
                        i believe he has - i have a jacket from 2005 with the same ruching, and although I love his work, i have to admit besides a much more tailored fit (as Faust flags earlier), very little has ever changed in the design and cut of his classic and pocket blazers, trousers, and boots/shoes.......
                        you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by surver View Post
                          our discussions seem to focus on only PH's jackets but i'd like to ask if anyone has any experience with this knit cardigan shirt? it's an interesting 'design' albeit the silly backpocket but i like it precisely because of it... can't seem to find this for sale anywhere...
                          I believe Degli Effeti has one, and it's one sale. It's a large size that fits significantly smaller, but unfortunately that's all I remember.

Comment

• Avantster
                            ¤¤¤
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by surver View Post

what's the sizing like? is it cut loose like his shirts or fitted?
                            I have the non-collared version and it fits slim (S fits 44) - a soft cotton knit with a dry papery cotton placket with lovely fabric colored buttons. One side is also slightly longer than the other. There's an older season one floating around on Y! right now. Here's a pic of mine..

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Avantster
                              ¤¤¤
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                              On the surface they may appear to be similar but in terms of ideology they are far apart - to my eye one makes garments/shoes based upon an unrestrained interpretation of a romantic reminiscence of times past (dionysian) while the other is interested in the creation of soft/unstructured tailored garments that adhere to a vision of ultra-quality and a certain moral and ethical viewpoint of the world we live in (apollonian). Note I say this as a wearer of both GBS and Harnden.
                              let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• surver
                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                                I have the non-collared version and it fits slim (S fits 44) - a soft cotton knit with a dry papery cotton placket with lovely fabric colored buttons. One side is also slightly longer than the other. There's an older season one floating around on Y! right now. Here's a pic of mine..

what's Y! ? yahoo japan?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎