Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chomeo
    • Mar 2010

i'm not sure how one can hype something that is so scarcely available as Harnden's work. :)

Comment

• DRRRK
      • Aug 2009

Hm, Faust, it is not necessarily meant personal when I tell my opinion about things you own and I don't like.
      I am not bitter when I notice more and more people into Harnden making more and more people being into Harnden leading to instant sellouts of new arrivals. Again, this is not a personal critique, just an observation like in that other thread where a discussion is called a war.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

/\ Go back and read your past comments - all you do is bitch. And don't make it personal, because it isn't.

For your record, Harnden had quite a fanclub before SZ. He doesn't need our help selling. Just ask anyone who has seen a bit more than outside of a kindergarten. For that matter, see when this thread was started.

My question is, again, at what point deserved praise becomes hype? I am genuinely interested.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Pumpfish
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          My question is, again, at what point deserved praise becomes hype? I am genuinely interested.
          When people without knowledge or taste start extolling the virtues of something they probably haven't seen.

With Harnden, his asthetic is niche, but his production is even smaller. Even now his pricing isn't high enough to dampen demand relative to supply.

Call out the rally monkey !
          spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• docintheory
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post
            When people without knowledge or taste start extolling the virtues of something they probably haven't seen.

With Harnden, his asthetic is niche, but his production is even smaller. Even now his pricing isn't high enough to dampen demand relative to supply.

Call out the rally monkey !
            I agree with Pumpfish. I think folks who attest to Paul Harnden's jackets, etc. are those who have seen, worn, and even held on to his clothes for a number of years. Hype seems to be praise that isn't rooted in a sense actually being face-to-face with Harnden's work.

Sure, the demand is outstripping the supply, and it's hard to get a hand on Harnden (I might copyright that statement) - but given the handmade quality of the garments - I appreciate that he is taking time to produce small quantities and shipping to loyal outlets. At least it isn't being mass-produced simply to appease demand. I think Harnden keeps those who remain loyal and enamored with his work over the years, very satisfied. I should add that even when I can't get my hands on current season stuff, I think his garments retain a quality where I still look at my older jackets and can't help but still feel - "damn this stuff is sick as f**k".

Those who are aboard the hype-train will eventually sell their stuff to us :P

Comment

• docintheory
              • May 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
              the recent spike in interest in harnden surely has a lot to do with the sizing changes he made last year. prior to that many of his pieces in the smallest size were too big for me and i'm a big guy. now that his sizing is more or less compatible with that of other designers a much larger range of individuals can actually fit into/experience his clothes and the garments themselves fit more flatteringly than ever. other than that harnden has quietly, modestly thumbed his nose at every fashion trend without any grandstanding or posturing. and his pieces are good for a lifetime. if that's not enough to get someone excited what is?
              I think this hits the nail on the head for me. Humbleness and longevity. I feel like I could pass on some of these pieces to my future grandchildren...

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

I agree with AKA here. I remember seeing some of his jackets at L'eclaireur years ago, but they didn't really interest me. the fit an materials have since changed, the former a lot.
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• danman
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2010

I dont know if this means anything, but I never knew anything about PH before I saw( I know, brad pitt talk is cheesy and ridiculous) Brad Pitt wearing a wool classic short in 2005 and a Black POW new blazer in 2006. When I saw it, I knew there was something very unique and beautiful about the cut, fabric and details of the blazers..

After seeing the images over and over I decided I wanted to know the designer and asked a friend from France to help me out.

After learning of PH, I found SZ..

Now I own an old classic short in linen( i've been told by several in here that it's a classic short, but it doesnt have all the details typical to a classic short). I'm a broke ass so of course Ive considered selling it, but learning how rare these are and how quickly anything PH makes these days sells, I can't bring myself to sell it..

I've only considered selling it cause I really love the wool/cashmere look

I've it's cool with the site's moderator, I'd like to share pics of the 05 an 06 blazers i saw pitt wearing that turned me on to ph.. I think its the only place I couldve seen ph. NO ONE WEARS PH IN MIAMI, FL LOL
                  Last edited by danman; 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• DRRRK
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Side note - isn't it said that in today's consumer world we think that everything, absolutely everything is, or at least can be, marketing?
                    I agree with this from this exact thread and the following discussion.

About hype, Pumpfishs definition nails it. For me, hype is not a matter of numbers, but of mood.

Comment

• dmash
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by danman View Post
                      NO ONE WEARS PH IN MIAMI, FL LOL
                      Hahaha, I'm from FL too, hardly anyone even KNOWS of 'SZ brands' in FL. Oh well, I like it that way

Comment

• danman
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2010

Absolutely dmash. Not only hasnt anyone heard of ph, but youre right, they havent heard of any designers listed here..

Comment

• comex9
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by dmash View Post
                          Hahaha, I'm from FL too, hardly anyone even KNOWS of 'SZ brands' in FL. Oh well, I like it that way
                          i'm in long island ny and feel like a mutant, lol. when i return to chicago things won't change much... welcome to the club, the sz club.

Comment

• spiral jetty
                            • Oct 2010

for the enthusiasts... ph sidekick

Comment

• spiral jetty
                              • Oct 2010

today at Vienna's Song shop. unfortunately out of reach for me.

"Pattern Mill"
                              by Paul Harnden & Stuart Pitkin
                              super 8mm, B&W, 9mins, 2011 UK

Thursday, 27.10 2011.
                              7:30pm, 8pm, 8:30pm
                              also introducing:
                              SOME/THINGS Magazine, CHAPTER005 features a first-ever interview with PAUL HARNDEN, accompanied by stills from his super-8 short film— co-produced with SONG VIENNA &SOME/THINGS AGENCY [CHAPTER005 to include a limited edition dvd].

Comment

• Dawn
                                • Mar 2009

Scanned this Paul Harnden editorial from the Inventory magazine:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎