• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
    So does anyone know where to get a nice looking tray?
    I was thinking of something simple, preferably with handles (but that’s not a must). The perfect one would have a finish like the Mad-et-len candles have, but I’m open for suggestions of all kinds.
    Just something to hold two glasses and maybe a small plate as well.
    Not exactly what you want, but might be a start?

Makers of fine slate cheese boards, coasters, and other items for entertaining and serving cheese.

Also, I just brought a small tray from Japan made from Japanese "ink" stone and the texture is incredible. Not sure how big they get. Definitely food-safe, or so they told me.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
      • Nov 2014

Thanks for the input, but I can’t see those stone plates anymore. Every other restaurant uses them nowadays. Can’t even get a burger served on a regular plate anymore.
      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Haha, I don't blame you.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zen dog
          • Jan 2014

short notice: this Saturday in Marfa Texas will have a discussion on Donald Judd's outdoor furniture. Instagram juddfuniture has some info. It directs you to Judd's website but I gave up trying to find more info there. Shucks, if you are still around, right up your alley.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Does anyone know who makes good stationary? I'd like to upgrade various small things like tape dispenser, stapler, etc.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

If you use pencils, I recommend the rOtring 600. Just be careful with the tip, as it's not retractable (rOtring 800 was an ill-fated attempt at that) and known to bend if dropped. It's more of a keep-it-at-your-drafting-table type pencil. But otherwise, it's a cold and hefty Bauhausian pleasure to use. And maybe a Pentel Ain black eraser to go with, so you're not using that silly capped eraser.

I've considered an Olivetti typewriter, would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with those types of things.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Marko
                • Jul 2009

I have a desk set from Folle for 10+ years and am still happy with it.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                  • Nov 2014

I don’t know whether they ship internationally, but Lui Ban has a lot of great stuff. Can’t leave the store without buying something.

Edit: They do!
                  "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                  -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Nickefuge
                      • Nov 2014

Can’t compete with that image, but here’s a few pics from the apartment my girlfriend and I moved into seven months ago (showing the living-room, pics of other room might follow). It’s still work in progress, because we try to build most of the furniture ourselves (e.g. the black sideboard thingie) and because it takes us a while to save up for certain designer pieces, but I’m quite happy with the current situation. The next thing our list is replacing the old Ikea sofa and boy is it hard to find something if your income doesn’t match your taste. Oh well, maybe it’s more fun that way.

Anyways, feel free to ask questions n shit.

Last edited by Nickefuge; 08-12-2018, 01:19 PM.
                      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Nice. What you might want to do is take an archetype you like and find a local maker and custom-make it for you.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Nice. What you might want to do is take an archetype you like and find a local maker and custom-make it for you.
                          I want the experience of making it myself. And I love to learn while doing so. None of our self-built furniture is perfect, but it’s one of a kind.

Considering the sofa, we’ll probably save up. Currently eyeing this one by Norm Architects:

-Paris Hilton

Comment

• surver
                            • Oct 2007

Chinese Contermporary Furniture Design by Jerry Chen

Summary:
                            Contemporary Chinese designers will be entirely capable of going beyond Ming-style furniture, surpassing the West, forging a contemporary furniture culture, and creating a new aesthetics of life and humanistic sophistication for our times.

A New Age of Beauty: Worldwide Release of the English Edition of Contemporary Chinese Furniture Design

Chinese Contemporary Furniture Design
                            —— From Cultural Appreciation to Chunzai Creativity
                            by Jerry J.I. Chen, Foreign Language Press, December 2018

In October, 2016, contemporary designer Jerry J.I. Chen published the important book Contemporary Chinese Furniture Design. A summation of twenty years of experience in the field of contemporary Chinese furniture design, the book connects classical Chinese aesthetics with contemporary lifestyle refinement, and founded a new aesthetics of contemporary Chinese furniture design. Since its publication, the book has garnered widespread acclaim.

In July, 2018, Chen and Nicolas Chow, Chairman of Sotheby’s Asia, published The Literati Aesthetic, a collection of photographs interpreting the timeless beauty and humanistic content of antique Chinese works of art. The works were selected from Chen’s personal collection, which he built up over many years, and photographed by Chow himself.

In December, 2018, the English edition of Contemporary Chinese Furniture Design was published by Foreign Language Press, introducing Chinese furniture design to the rest of the world.

As a necessity in human living spaces, furniture has evolved alongside human civilizations for millennia. Furniture’s effect on our lives are very subtle. When you do not pay attention to it, it fades into insignificance, but when you are aware of it, its existence becomes indispensable—it serves as the connection between us and architecture in a three-dimensional relationship. Today we attend closely to human needs and architectural needs, but we tend to require mere functional sufficiency in furniture. This is a gross imbalance.

In fact, whether furniture is appropriate to the times and whether it serves contemporary life and contemporary environments are requisite, not optional, considerations.

According to Jerry Chen, “human civilization has evolved from the agricultural, to the industrial, to the informational, and finally to today’s Internet age. Each human being is independent. Space and architecture are likewise independent. Humans must be organically connected to them in order to live in safety and comfort. This connection is created by none other than furniture. It is of utmost importance for every era to identify an appropriate connection between humans and their spatial environments. Furniture culture is thus crucial.”

For Chen, contemporary and classical Chinese furniture forms an inseverable lineage. The evolution of classical Chinese furniture bears witness to the development of human intelligence from simplicity to sophistication, and this cultural heritage is an infinitely rich resource.

In Contemporary Chinese Furniture Design, Chen articulates Eight Core Values in Ming-Style Furniture from a new cultural perspective, using contemporary terms suited to creative design. He identifies ten key factors in contemporary Chinese furniture design and explores the possibilities of innovation in this field. Chen confidently predicts that within our lifetimes contemporary Chinese designers will be capable of going beyond Ming-style furniture, surpassing the West, forging a contemporary furniture culture, and creating a new aesthetics of life and humanistic sophistication.

This optimistic vision was one of the original inspirations for the book. Chen hopes that the book will help members of the furniture field and cultural creative enterprises at large to forge a set of “Chinese cultural characteristics for the new era” and thereby inaugurate a new age of beauty.

To Create Beauty is to Breathe: An Interview with Jerry J.I. Chen, Internationally Renowned Connoisseur and Founder of Chunzai

Q: In the past, most people knew you either as a designer or as collector and connoisseur of art. Through your series of publications, you have slowly revealed your double identity. When did you begin working across disciplines?

A: I started with very simple intentions. I never wanted to become a famous designer or connoisseur. I was originally motivated by my love of and admiration for culture and art. As the youngest child in my family, I had fewer constraints in my career choices. I chose to study art in university, and after graduation naturally entered the art field. My work has always also been my passion, and the results have come naturally.

For me, design, connoisseurship, and collecting are in fact mutually beneficial. Before 2000, I frequently attended international exhibitions and cultural activities. I learnt that Chinese culture was admired around the world. However, from the 80’s until now, most people in China have desired Western lifestyles and followed Western taste. This has brought me a sense of urgency: someone must take the first step in creating a new vision of beautiful living in and for contemporary China.

In 2000, while maintaining my commitments to classical and contemporary Chinese art, I moved from Taipei to Shanghai, where I started the contemporary Chinese design brand Chunzai. I hoped to contribute my time and effort to the development of cultural creative enterprises, and to explore the unseen possibilities for contemporary Chinese creative design.

Q: How much of your work and life do classical art and contemporary design take up respectively? How do you switch so freely between these fields?

A: Because collecting is serendipitous by nature, a collector learns many unexpected lessons over time. The profound wisdom of classical Chinese art inspires in me many ideas for contemporary design.

For me, studying classical art is like inhalation, and creating contemporary designs is like exhalation. Both feel as natural as breathing. Together they are nothing more or less than the cycle of life.

Having absorbed, digested, and assimilated classical art during my long years of work and travel, I can now use it as a resource to contribute to the refinement of contemporary life. My own life has gained a meaningful new dimension.

Q: Your collecting must have given you much inspiration in your design work. Has design in turn given you new perspectives on collecting?

A: In my thirty years of collecting art, I have absorbed a tremendous amount of cultural knowledge, which has thoroughly transformed and refined my worldview and taste. Without a doubt, collecting has influenced and nourished my later design career. On the other hand, I also have no doubt that design has helped and influenced my collecting.

Collecting influences design in a pointed manner: it focuses your attention on a particular field or genre of art, allowing you to discover its core values. Then you can apply these values in contemporary life. Design influences collecting in a more diffuse manner because it addresses issues pertaining broadly to human life as a whole and considers creativity from this general perspective.

Q: In recent years, you have been publishing your reflections on Chinese art and contemporary design. What publications or exhibitions are you planning right now?

A: I believe the world of the future will be flat. Publishing in Western languages is crucial in helping the West understand China’s past, present, and future. This is why we decided to collaborate with Foreign Language Press on the English edition of Contemporary Chinese Furniture Design, which has just been published and released worldwide. I believe this book will promote a deeper understanding of Chinese aesthetics and design among Westerners.

From the spring of 2019 onwards, Chunzai’s latest designs will be exhibited consecutively in internationally renowned museums in Tokyo, Paris, and other cities. I hope that this showcase of cutting-edge Chinese design thinking will help people around the world better understand the cultural characteristics and aesthetics of contemporary China.

At the same time, I continue to pursue my research on classical art, which follows the two themes of “Aesthetics of Courtly Studio Objects” and “Aesthetics of Literati Studio Objects.” The results of this research will be published in the near future through my long-term collaboration with the Palace Museum Press of Beijing. I hope that my research will inspire a deeper appreciation for contemporary lifestyle refinements and for humanistic aesthetics in contemporary living spaces.

The aforementioned are all sustained and multifaceted undertakings, encompassing not only publication, research, innovation, and discovery but also art collecting, exhibition, and creative design.

Today, I regard art and design as my calling in life. I will continue to strive to promote Chinese cultural characteristics for the new era.

About the Author

Jerry J.I. Chen
                            Founder and Creative Director, Chunzai
                            Chief Executive Officer, Art of Chen
                            Author, Contemporary Chinese Furniture Design

Select credentials

Member, Selection Committee, International Asian Art Fair, New York
                            International Trustee, Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid
                            Lecturer on Cultural Creative Enterprise, National Palace Museum, Taipei
                            International Ambassador, The Feuerle Collection, Berlin
                            Consultant, Sotheby’s
                            Trustee, Xue Xue Foundation, Taiwan

Comment

• surver
                              • Oct 2007

this is a review of the book that Jerry asked me to write:

CHINESE CONTEMPORARY FURNITURE DESIGN
                              FROM CULTURAL APPRECIATION TO CHUNZAI CREATIVITY
                              JERRY J.I. CHEN

A REVIEW

This is a book that will uproot and change the way Chinese furniture is understood and perceived.

Reflecting upon his 30+ years in the field of Chinese antiquity and arts, of which 10 of those years overlapped his venture into the design, production and development of the CHUNZAI brand, Jerry Chen culminates a life of passion and expertise into a seminal volume simply titled “Chinese Contemporary Furniture Design”.

Jerry Chen takes the reader on a journey across space and time, skimming over and skirting by, a vast range of seemingly diverse realms - covering histories and landscapes, cultural nuances and philosophies, literature and poetics, linguistics and aesthetics, arts and architecture; holding nothing back, with the depth of his insights and experience, he constructs a poignant thesis paving the way for furniture design as the core of future cultural production.

The text takes form in Jerry Chen’s typical casual and easy tone of voice, within which is always buried acute observations and visionary conceptions, provoking further thoughts and explorations. Synchronic to the friendly prose is a rich myriad of strategically coordinated images which guides the reader through a parallel, visual voyage.

Despite the title, this book is less a manifesto, but more of wake-up call, a call-to-arms, to all that are involved in the creative fields, to trigger a ‘renaissance’, a new age, of contemporary cultural production worthy of China’s long rich history. It is a book about cultural and creative awakening, about the important role of innovation, about the redefinition of values in the turbulent, fleeting, ungrounded contemporary world.

“CHINESE CONTEMPORARY FURNITURE DESIGN – FROM CULTURAL APPRECIATION TO CHUNZAI CREATIVITY” by Jerry J.I. Chen, is a manual for the future.

2016.10.17 Shanghai

Comment

• surver
                                • Oct 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡